Downtown Jackson Development

tombarnes

Downtown Jackson's Big Picture

The big picture for downtown Jackson is that it's looking better than it has in many years. In spite of Mr. Melton's grandstanding and misguided efforts to stymie development at the Kingv Edward and Standard Life buildings, these projects are moving forward. The Pinnacle at Jackson Place is well underway, as is the new convention center. It would also appear that Jackson's placement in the rankings of cities with respect to crime is not as alarming as many would believe. In short, there is a lot of potential in downtown Jackson which is just beginning to be realized.

WAPT Channel 16 Newsd- video included

• 3 months later...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Downtown Living Becoming Popular

Finally, it seems that the tide is turning in favor of downtown Jackson. More people are beginning to see the benefits of living and working downtown. The projected 4,000+ living units in the Old Capitol Green project should give a big boost to what is already becoming a strong residential market downtown. The more the merrier...A strong downtown will benefit the suburbs as well.

The Northside Sun

There's no new "hard news" in this piece. but it's nice to see that the Clarion-Ledger is promoting downtown Jackson for a change. This is basically a quick rundown of projects currently under development in downtown Jackson. The list, however, does not mention several important developments like Old Capitol Green and others like it which haven't yet made it from the drawing boards into the earth. Still, the change in tone from them is welcome.

The Clarion-Ledger

There's no new "hard news" in this piece. but it's nice to see that the Clarion-Ledger is promoting downtown Jackson for a change. This is basically a quick rundown of projects currently under development in downtown Jackson. The list, however, does not mention several important developments like Old Capitol Green and others like it which haven't yet made it from the drawing boards into the earth. Still, the change in tone from them is welcome.

The Clarion-Ledger

I'd love to be able to make it down there for the parade! Unfortunately, my work keeps me in Washington most weekends. I am hoping, however, to come down fairly soon. Your observation about the difference a few cranes can make is salient. I think that people will begin to change their tune as soon as a few of these projects are up and running. Synergy is very much a part of it all. By the way, I noticed that Koi's had only been open for 3 months before it closed. I understand that the placeholder restaurant there is run by the staff of the former restaurant. What do you think about the proposed replacement?

• 9 months later...

Downtown Residents' Association Formed

The growing number of downtown residents in Jackson have formed an association to better put forth their interests. While the group of downtown residents now numbers only about 150 or so, that number will increase dramatically in the coming years. Over 100 apartments will come online as the King Edward and Standard Life buildings open in 2009. Other developments planned include the apartments (300-400) which will be built at Jackson Place. The Ceva Green and Old Capitol Green projects will add many more units. This process will take time, but as noted in the article below, the time to start an association is now.

The Clarion-Ledger

Archived