Columbus Airport

mitchella81

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Columbus Metropolitian Airport does not satisfy the travel needs for a city the size of Columbus. With just one carrier Delta-ASA what can be done to attract more carriers and better destinations. Submit your ideas and any developments you hear in this forum.

I totally agree. I know there are talks right now of bringing in more airlines. I believe an announcement will be made soon. There are talks of building a hotel on the airport property. It will be interested to see what happens in the next year.

It's simple economics. The airport might be converted to a terminal for a high-speed rail to the Hartsfield. That would make more sense. It's just too economical to drive to ATL. Columbus is hindered by its inability to grow to the south. Areas to the north and west can drive up I-85 in about as much time as it takes to get to the Columbus Airport. Therefore, Columbus airport really serves Columbus and points south. Columbus needs to build an Interstate bypass around Fort Benning and extend I-185 to Florida. This will open up the southern region for growth (instead of sending it west to Alabama).

Another option is for Columbus and Macon to sell their airport properties and invest the proceeds in land in Taylor County along the Fall Line Hwy for a regional airport... or go west and do the same thing along 280 in Lee County to take advantage of the CSA. But much analysis would have to be done to see if it would be economical for airlines to invest... seems unlikely.

It's simple economics. The airport might be converted to a terminal for a high-speed rail to the Hartsfield. That would make more sense. It's just too economical to drive to ATL. Columbus is hindered by its inability to grow to the south. Areas to the north and west can drive up I-85 in about as much time as it takes to get to the Columbus Airport. Therefore, Columbus airport really serves Columbus and points south. Columbus needs to build an Interstate bypass around Fort Benning and extend I-185 to Florida. This will open up the southern region for growth (instead of sending it west to Alabama).

Another option is for Columbus and Macon to sell their airport properties and invest the proceeds in land in Taylor County along the Fall Line Hwy for a regional airport... or go west and do the same thing along 280 in Lee County to take advantage of the CSA. But much analysis would have to be done to see if it would be economical for airlines to invest... seems unlikely.

Right -- I am reminded of what a President of Mexico (Santa Ana?) said almost two hundred years ago: "Poor Mexico -- so far from God and so close to the United States!" To paraphrase: Poor Columbus (and Macon too, perhaps) airport -- so far from God and so close to Hartsfield-Jackson!

The airport is destined always to be primarily a feeder airport for Atlanta. But there is a crying need for RELIABLE service to H-J and also at least one or two flights a day to other locations (DC (Pentagon), NYC and Dallas (Ft.Hood) come to mind).

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been researching this subject a little more and have discovered a few things about the columbus airport. American Airlines wants to come to Columbus, but the planes they wish to bring in would require the airport runway to be extended about 500 more feet. I'm not sure what there planning on flying in here, but i've seen 747 land at the airport before when diverted from Atlanta for weather delays this was just a month or so ago. They want to offer service between Columbus and Dallas/Ft. Worth International. The airport is refusing to cough up the money needed to extend the runway. Airport officials are also in negotiation with United Airlines on starting a service between Columbus and Washington DC. United may start flying into Columbus as early as next month(December) just to test the market out to see how travlers would react. Also I've noticed Airtran has been flying into the airport about 2 flights daily. Does anyone know if they have started service to the city?

Well I've been researching this subject a little more and have discovered a few things about the columbus airport. American Airlines wants to come to Columbus, but the planes they wish to bring in would require the airport runway to be extended about 500 more feet. I'm not sure what there planning on flying in here, but i've seen 747 land at the airport before when diverted from Atlanta for weather delays this was just a month or so ago. They want to offer service between Columbus and Dallas/Ft. Worth International. The airport is refusing to cough up the money needed to extend the runway. Airport officials are also in negotiation with United Airlines on starting a service between Columbus and Washington DC. United may start flying into Columbus as early as next month(December) just to test the market out to see how travlers would react. Also I've noticed Airtran has been flying into the airport about 2 flights daily. Does anyone know if they have started service to the city?

Thanks for update. Had heard about AA and larger planes. Airport negotiating for service w/ smaller jets, but AA does not think that smaller jets will be economically feasible. Last I heard was stalemate. AA says extend runway, the airport says use smaller jets. Extending runway not a bad idea -- just an expensive one (could it be done withe existing land or need to condemn more property?) Can understand why opposition to extending runway unless there is a firm commitment for long-term service. Hope that a deal can be struck.

Not aware of UA news. That would be great. Hope that it come about. Think that DC route could be profitable. Pentagon/DoD connection. A potential "problem" there is that with Lawson Airfield being one of (if not the) largest military airports in the world, a lot of traffic between DC and Ft Benning is on military aircraft and not commercial airlines.

As for Airtran -- was news as well. Were the flights scheduled and not redirected from Atlanta? That would be my first guess, But two a day seems like more than redirecting. However, cannot see how Columbus fits into Airtran business model -- unless it sees an opportunity to step into the Columbus-Atlanta route and take up the slack that results from unreliable service provided by carriers now (and formerly) serving that route.

Keep us posted. Will be great if teh airport takes off -- pun intended.

• 3 weeks later...

Couple things need to be clarified here...

Airtran does not serve CSG, Those are either diversions or charter flights

United has not announced anything regarding CSG, any announcement would come at least 3 months prior to the start of service, so i assure you its not going to start in December.

American and the runway issue is pure BS, they have an aircraft in their fleet that would work. They said the E145 (50 seater) wouldnt work, however, the E140 (44 seater) would do fine.

The airport DOES have plans to extend the main runway by 1,000 ft, so its not them refusing to cough up the money by any means

Overall i think CSG does have alot of potential to grow. Part of the problem has been the direct shot right to ATL, however as the southern ATL suburbs grow, it will take away from the ease of the drive. The best airline fit for CSG right now is USairways to Charloitte if they can free up any aircraft. My guess is if things go good, then CSG should be able to attract a new airline every 5 years or so, meaning that by 2025 there should be 4-5 airlines there., Though if all the airline mergers go through, then probably only 2-3, but with a simmilar level of service, being mostly regional jets.

Couple things need to be clarified here...

Airtran does not serve CSG, Those are either diversions or charter flights

United has not announced anything regarding CSG, any announcement would come at least 3 months prior to the start of service, so i assure you its not going to start in December.

American and the runway issue is pure BS, they have an aircraft in their fleet that would work. They said the E145 (50 seater) wouldnt work, however, the E140 (44 seater) would do fine.

The airport DOES have plans to extend the main runway by 1,000 ft, so its not them refusing to cough up the money by any means

Overall i think CSG does have alot of potential to grow. Part of the problem has been the direct shot right to ATL, however as the southern ATL suburbs grow, it will take away from the ease of the drive. The best airline fit for CSG right now is USairways to Charloitte if they can free up any aircraft. My guess is if things go good, then CSG should be able to attract a new airline every 5 years or so, meaning that by 2025 there should be 4-5 airlines there., Though if all the airline mergers go through, then probably only 2-3, but with a simmilar level of service, being mostly regional jets.

The united announcment was posted by the Columbus Ledger Enquier in early october that is why the december date was on there and its just test flights they were proposing then to see how the market would respond. Also at the height of the airport in 1993 the airport did have 5 carriers, but now that number has dwindled to one Delta-ASA. Us Airways was the last airline to pull out of the airport with a connection flight to Charlotte they left I believe about 4-5 years ago and have not showed any instrest in returning to the market. I do agree that the airport has potentinal, but as was also brought up it's just simply to close to Atlantas' Hartsfield Jackson to prosper. Also where did you find out the info about the runway extension everything published through local media indicated that the Airport would not do it because of the cost.

The united announcment was posted by the Columbus Ledger Enquier in early october that is why the december date was on there and its just test flights they were proposing then to see how the market would respond. Also at the height of the airport in 1993 the airport did have 5 carriers, but now that number has dwindled to one Delta-ASA. Us Airways was the last airline to pull out of the airport with a connection flight to Charlotte they left I believe about 4-5 years ago and have not showed any instrest in returning to the market. I do agree that the airport has potentinal, but as was also brought up it's just simply to close to Atlantas' Hartsfield Jackson to prosper. Also where did you find out the info about the runway extension everything published through local media indicated that the Airport would not do it because of the cost.

The old airport layout plan shows 1,000 ft extensions on both sides, but i think that now thwy are just going to try for 1,000. They did some work on the north east side and were moving the localizer out 1,000 ft for a future runway extension. It'd probably all come down to FAA money since construction costs and asphalt costs have skyrocketed.

The runway length is not even an issue really. The current runway gets them just about everything they need, with 8,000 ft being optimal.

As for airlines USairways is tight on aircrfat, but they would be the best fit since Charlotte is the 2nd largest hub in the Southeast. United to Dulles might work, but Dulles is a weaker hub for connecting, and United also doesnt have a large market share anywhere on the east coast to attract loyal passengers, Usairways and Delta do. United would also use higher cost regional jets which make it harder. I think it has potential to work. Northwest turboprops to Memphis could also work.

I think something will give there with the next year or two...

I saw an American jet there one day last week...

Suspect (but dont know) that was not a scheduled flight but a test run to see whether runway will be adequate to serve craft that AA MAY bring in. On other hand, may be a diverted flight or a charter as some other forumer indicated was the case with recent Air Tran sighting

Suspect (but dont know) that was not a scheduled flight but a test run to see whether runway will be adequate to serve craft that AA MAY bring in. On other hand, may be a diverted flight or a charter as some other forumer indicated was the case with recent Air Tran sighting

Probably a diversion or a charter if one was spotted, airlines dont need to "test" flights at certain airports. Remember these planes can fly themselves, so figuring out how much runway is required is pretty easy for the flight computer and for the airlines to figure out.

There was an AA MD83 that appears to have been a charter that came in from LAX on monday and i believe continued onto Fayetteville NC, my guess is it was something with the military perhaps.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL9482

If that was the plane in question it is about 4x bigger than the aircraft that AA would fly in!

• 2 weeks later...

Air ambulance service coming to Columbus

Air Evac Lifeteam to start construction in January

An air ambulance service is expected to begin operation in Columbus Jan. 15. This will be the 2nd air ambulance company to serve the Columbus metro area.

Air Evac Lifeteam has leased a half-acre site at Columbus Metropolitan Airport where construction is expected to begin on its $500,000 headquarters building early in January.

The medical emergency helicopter service will temporarily be based at a site off Miller Road in Columbus until the new headquarters is completed around mid-March.

Patients will be picked up within a 70-mile radius of the Columbus airport and will be airlifted to the closest appropriate hospital. That means a burn patient could be flown to metro Atlanta.

The new headquarters will be inside the airport across from Wal-Mart and will be visible from Airport Thruway. The building will house the helicopter, personnel and equipment.

• 4 weeks later...

Columbus suffers from the same problem of other second tier GA cities face (with the exception of Savannah)..it's proximity to Atlanta. Augusta is over 2 and half hours from Atlanta and still bleeds a significant portion of its airline passengers to Hartsfield.. Augusta has only been able to support two airlines.. Delta and USair. The best Columbus may be able to hope for is to attract USAir.. but considering Columbus is an hour closer to Hartsfield than Augusta.. that's even a longshot. And even if Columbus gets more air service.. it will most likely be feeder service.. connecting through Atlanta or possibly Charlotte. I would expect that the bulk of air travellers would still prefer to drive to Hartsfield where there are direct flights and more competition.

Now one idea would be to build an airport halfway between Columbus and Montgonery, AL. Combining the two markets might make it more attractive to more airlines and direct flights.

Columbus suffers from the same problem of other second tier GA cities face (with the exception of Savannah)..it's proximity to Atlanta. Augusta is over 2 and half hours from Atlanta and still bleeds a significant portion of its airline passengers to Hartsfield.. Augusta has only been able to support two airlines.. Delta and USair. The best Columbus may be able to hope for is to attract USAir.. but considering Columbus is an hour closer to Hartsfield than Augusta.. that's even a longshot. And even if Columbus gets more air service.. it will most likely be feeder service.. connecting through Atlanta or possibly Charlotte. I would expect that the bulk of air travellers would still prefer to drive to Hartsfield where there are direct flights and more competition.

Now one idea would be to build an airport halfway between Columbus and Montgonery, AL. Combining the two markets might make it more attractive to more airlines and direct flights.

I totally agree. Columbus is only 80-85 miles from Hartsfield. I hope the city will bring in a carrier that goes to places like Dallas, Miami, DC, or New York. It is just too convenient to make the 70 minute trip up the road.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know whats going on at the Airport. Theres something being built next to the terminal by Dean Construction anyone have any idea what this is?

Is it the helipad for that new air ambulance company that is coming? I remember the article saying that they were going to build a building on the airport property that would serve as their home base.

Does anyone know whats going on at the Airport. Theres something being built next to the terminal by Dean Construction anyone have any idea what this is?

It is a new Airport Rescue and Fire fighting (ARFF)Station. The current fire station is located in the Runway Visibility Zone between the two runways, which the FAA considers a safety issue.

What about using the airport as the terminal for a high speed train to the Atlanta airport and other points? I do not see a good chance of that ever happening, but it is a nice thought.

See this earlier post.... Maybe Columbus could convince the Atlantic Station developers to buy the airport and develop a similar style 'city within a city' around the High Speed Rail terminal to Atlanta... What have I been smoking?

See this earlier post.... Maybe Columbus could convince the Atlantic Station developers to buy the airport and develop a similar style 'city within a city' around the High Speed Rail terminal to Atlanta... What have I been smoking?

Has anybody heard anything lately about the airport selling some land that is in front of wal-mart for some type of retail. I seem to recall sometime back they were going to sell that for some type of retail development.

Has anybody heard anything lately about the airport selling some land that is in front of wal-mart for some type of retail. I seem to recall sometime back they were going to sell that for some type of retail development.

Yea, there is a convention hotel planned along with some retail I believe. I haven't heard anything lately.

Archived