RSA BankTrust Building

MobileLSUboy09

Do you think they should tear down the Bank Building in Downtown Mobile and build a new tower (assume unlimited finances) or should they keep it and build another one on a different lot?

I think only because of the condition of the building that it either needs to be torn down or COMPLETELY overhauled. The ceiling heights are so low, and the outside is pretty ugly, especially compared to the new tower. I would be sad to see such a long time trademark of Mobile go, and it would make our skyline even less than it already is, but they need to do something with it!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely not! I wouldn't want to repeat the mistakes of the people in the 40s and 50s. That building (I agree it is ugly) is a typical skyscraper of its time. We only have one from that period (60s). It will be a historic skyscraper in about another 30 years. I say keep it but overhaul it. Put money into it and save it!!

Welcome to Urban Planet, MobileLSUboy09! :hi: Looking forward to your input on the boards.

I agree with you that the building really is ugly, but tearing it down isn't an option at this point. Maybe money can be found one day to improve the exterior of the tower. In the near term, I wish the parking structure at the base of the tower could be renovated to be more attractive at street level. The base of the thing is a real eyesore that doesn't deserve to be adjacent to Bienville Square.

Which bank are you referring to? Have you got a picture? I'd hate to think of Mobile losing anothr landmark building.

The previous tallest structure in Mobile, the 1965 34 story 424ft one...

Yea, I don't think we should tear it down...but it certainly is ugly! haha (1960s architecture for ya)

Interstate_10_eastbound_in_Mobile,_AL.jpg

Hmmmm. Another one of those ugly 60's buildings. Hard to love, and even harder to preserve. Still, I think it's representative of the period and should be kept for that reason alone. A total rehab is probably the best option, but I wonder whether it would attract the kind of attention that its older cousins might when staring bleakly at the wrecking ball? It's important for cities to realize that preserving layers of their history is just as important as preserving something which meets pre-conceived notions of beauty or worthiness.

Your right! The layers are very important. Hopefully that company that owns it will put money into it. Maybe people will find in beautiful 80 to 90 years from now. I just don't wont those people in the future saying "I wish they hadn't torn that building down".

• 4 months later...

Here's a photo from the early 1960s showing the customs house and part of the bank building that were lost to build the bank tower. The tower and its parking deck base really need a makeover to make downtown more attractive and honor the location on Bienville Square.

Does anyone know who owns the bank tower now? Is it Regions or a group of investors?

customshouse.jpg

Thats cool. A new facade would look great over the parking garage. You know make it look like an actual building.

the owner is a company in New York City. I think it starts with a K. But the property manager is toomey.

That building realy needs some exterior work done on it the crazy thing about that building is that the lobby looks grand compared to the exterior.

Here are some sketches an architectural major at LSU did for the bank tower it looked kool with the blues and greens and put a strip of blue and green lighting going down all 4 corners that would look cool at night. almost every tower downtown has some type of lighting why not this one blue and green it is !!

Here is an artist drawing of what the Amsouth could look like with some exterior renovations.

That building realy needs some exterior work done on it the crazy thing about that building is that the lobby looks grand compared to the exterior.

Here are some sketches an architectural major at LSU did for the bank tower it looked kool with the blues and greens and put a strip of blue and green lighting going down all 4 corners that would look cool at night. almost every tower downtown has some type of lighting why not this one blue and green it is !!

Here is an artist drawing of what the Amsouth could look like with some exterior renovations.

Haha yea, my best friend here at LSU did those drawings. He knows i'm always complaining about how ugly the bank bldg is there, and how something should be done to it. Maybe one day i'll build it - Im a construction management maj. and hes an Architecture maj.

Haha yea, my best friend here at LSU did those drawings. He knows i'm always complaining about how ugly the bank bldg is there, and how something should be done to it. Maybe one day i'll build it - Im a construction management maj. and hes an Architecture maj.

I hear ya! Stay on it cuz.

Where are my football tickets? ha

• 4 weeks later...

The 34-story AmSouth Bank tower is scheduled for a foreclosure sale on May 16th, but the building's New York owners are working on a deal to sell 50 percent of its ownership to BGK Group, a Santa Fe, NM real estate company. BGK supposedly would pump some money into unspecified improvements to the building.

Large tenants moved to the RSA Battle House Tower and now this building is in serious trouble. Hopefully new owners will pour real money into extensive interior and exterior renovations, and change the building from an eyesore to an asset for downtown.

AmSouth tower faces foreclosure

• 1 month later...

^ The owners of the AmSouth tower filed for Chapter 11 reorganization Tuesday, postponing the foreclosure sale that was scheduled for Wednesday. The owners also filed for approval of BGK Group's contract to buy 50 percent of the building. Since the RSA Battle House Tower opened, the AmSouth building has fallen to 55% occupancy.

Bankruptcy filing stalls sale of AmSouth tower

• 4 months later...

The AmSouth building is under contract to be sold for $7.2 million to Alan Shuman of Reading, Pennsylvania. According to the Press-Register, Shuman said he will spend more on renovations than he paid for the building. Hopefully those renovations will involve some badly needed exterior work, and will help fill the more than 100,000 sq ft of vacant space in the 280,000 sq ft building.

AmSouth tower set to be sold

• 2 months later...

^ Shuman was not able to finance the building purchase within the 90-day window required by his contract, but he's still trying to work out a deal with the mortgage holder. Apparently Shuman talked to a number of lenders across the country, but couldn't find anyone to loan the money.

Sale of AmSouth building falls through

• 2 weeks later...

The Retirement Systems of Alabama plans to buy the AmSouth building for $6.75 million. David Bronner of RSA says he wants to update the existing office space into nice Class B office space, an alternative to the Class A space in the RSA Battle House Tower.

Maybe RSA will add some commercial bays to the ground floor of the parking deck at the base of the building.

RSA plans another buy downtown

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The AmSouth Bank tower was officially renamed the RSA BankTrust Building in August 2010. RSA named it after its largest tenant.

The RSA BankTrust building is about 75 percent leased, and renovations are under way and should be complete by September 2011

A $45 million renovation of the building will include facade improvements, new windows and improvements to the parking garage (appearance I hope).

RSA BankTrust building to get $45 million overhaul

Older article: Carnival atmosphere: Former AmSouth building updating with Mardi Gras theme

Archived