East Blvd landmarks to be demolished soon

swampfox43

I read in this weeks CBJ that 8 buildings on East Blvd and in the block between Garden Terrace & Lombardy Circle have been purchased by CMC and will be demolished to make room for hospital expansion. I am not sure if the apartments further up Garden Terrace are staying or not so I didn't include them in my marked boundries.

East Blvd Bar & Grill has signed a short term lease for a few more months before it will close for good. What do you all think of this? Personally, I do not like to see what I consider part of the East Blvd character being demolished. But who's gonna stop CMC?

CMConEast.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I read in this weeks CBJ that 8 buildings on East Blvd and in the block between Garden Terrace & Lombardy Circle have been purchased by CMC and will be demolished to make room for hospital expansion. I am not sure if the apartments further up Garden Terrace are staying or not so I didn't include them in my marked boundries.

East Blvd Bar & Grill has signed a short term lease for a few more months before it will close for good. What do you all think of this? Personally, I do not like to see what I consider part of the East Blvd character being demolished. But who's gonna stop CMC?

I went out and did some reconnoitering this morning along Garden Terrace/FountainView/East Boulevard. It appears that based upon the location of surveying flags, surveys have recently been done for the Caribou Coffee property and the two apartment buildings beside it on Garden Terrace (1720 and 1724 Garden Terrace, I do believe). I have no idea what this means if anything as it relates to the article in the CBJ regarding the East Boulevard Bar and Grill properties, etc., on the other side of Garden Terrace. It may have no significance at all, however, I find it to be interesting. In addition, the 1719 Fountain View house that the Charlotte Mecklenburg Hospital Authority acquired on 05/07/07 for $750,000, is coded as being "ASSEMLBEDGE" on the Polaris real estate website. I must assume that this is a misspelling and is intended to be "assemblage."

At last count, I think that this makes "8" houses that CMC owns on Fountain View, so far. Almost all of the houses on Garden Terrace are owned by CMC, as best that I can tell. Although I have heretofore never placed much credence in it, the old timers around here have always held to the conviction that CMC intends eventually to accumulate/buy all of the properties from their campus on Blythe Boulevard up to the boundaries of Scott Avenue, East Boulevard and Kings Drive. Perhaps, they have been correct all along. At a minimum, the real estate market around here is very interesting and dynamic.

Noooo not East Blvd Grill! That's my place!!! I figured they would just relocate, though, it's so popular.

Wasn't this cluster of buildings previously rumored for a condo building? Did this fall through or did CMC just utilize their power? I hope East Blvd's character doesn't change. That area is unique.

I don't know why CMC just utilizes the land they already own, and tear down some of the houses they own to build up and dense, instead.

I think it is hard to call these buildings landmarks. While I hate to see East Blvd Bar and Grille go (I moved to Lombardy Circle in 1998 -- it is adjacent to all of this) as well as the really cool brick apartment building on the corner of Lombardy and East, the rest of the buildings are in horrible shape, have been poorly maintained and always look like crap, and just aren't very significant. I hope the hospital does decent design that will blend well with Dilworth.

swampfox43: Thanks so much for the information from the CBJ regarding the CMC expansion on Garden Terrace/East Boulevard. This proves once again to me that to paraphrase Paul Simon: "I get all the news I need on the UP report." I don't have a copy of the CBJ article and I was wondering about the "8 buildings" that are mentioned in your post and highlighted in the .jpg photo. Does this include the 1727 Garden Terrace property that has been owned for years by Ty Boyd? Yes, this is the "Bost Bread" Ty Boyd for those who remember the old television commercials. If CMC and/or Lincoln Harris (they now seem to be interchangeable in terms of real estate ownership in this area) has acquired 1727 Garden Terrace, it appears now that all of the properties on the east side of Garden Terrace (from East Boulevard to the hospital itself) down to Lombardy Circle may have been assembled for development by CMC and/or Lincoln Harris. One can speculate on what the "highest and best use" of this property is. However, if approved, the CMC Medical School is going to need to go somewhere. I believe that the task force working on the Medical School may have recently completed their proposal which will then go to the UNC Board of Trustees and the UNC Board of Governors by the end of this year. If approved, the request for funding for the Medical School could be sent to the legislature next year. Things could start changing around here very fast.

Archived