Capitol Avenue Development

grock

Anyone see Tom Condon's column in the Courant yesterday? I guess the state and the Bushnell are in preliminary discussions to develop the parking lots near the Bushnell.

I've always thought they should build more townhouses there and have a few cafes. The Bushnell needs to get this going and it would help them by making their neighborhood more valuable.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone see Tom Condon's column in the Courant yesterday? I guess the state and the Bushnell are in preliminary discussions to develop the parking lots near the Bushnell.

I've always thought they should build more townhouses there and have a few cafes. The Bushnell needs to get this going and it would help them by making their neighborhood more valuable.

I completely agree with Condon's article and I'm glad that he's bringing the Capitol Avenue issue back to center stage. This is an area we've discussed in previous UrbanPlanet threads, but it's been some time.

I'm not sure how much of the overall parking space is owned by the Bushnell. I think most of those lots are owned by the state, which might prove to be problematic to any redevelopment plan.

Nevertheless, I think a few blocks of row houses similar in design to the existing brownstones on Capitol Avenue are perfect for this area. I also think it's an area that could be successfully marketed to empty nesters, given all of the adjacent cultural attractions. I am not, however, recommending that this area become an exclusive active-adult community.

Tycoon, I agree with your good idea about Broad Street.

I also agree that Condon was wise to mention Westbrook Village. There is tremendous work being done by the University of Hartford at the old Thomas Cadillac site on Albany Avenue. Also, the university's new magnet high school is expected to break ground soon up Mark Twain Drive. The time has come to renew Westbrook. I advocate for street-front retail along Albany Avenue and mixed-income housing behind it.

As I've said before, knitting the neighborhoods of Hartford back together one stitch at a time will inevitably spark far more renewal in the city than the "big banner" projects like the convention center.

Couldn't say it any better.

Which means improve the school system so that middle class folks would be willing to send their kids to school in Hartford which mean do something about the dire socio-economic condition of majority of current residents.

I would definately approve of either of these "projects" if there was going to be something done. I eluded to something simular for capitol ave in my missed opportunities thread. I really had just not gotten to writing what it out. Nice to read that there is at least some possibilities of something happening. This area is such a "no brainer" with most of the flat lot turned into 4-8 story brownstones rowhouses, or other simular walk ups the area would make a huge leap forward that would definately liven up the surrounding neighborhoods. it wouldnt take much of a push for the community to add in art galleries, cafes, artist studios etc. I think this area could easily support over 1000 housing units. If residential towers were included as stated it would free up space for signifigant retail and entertainment space as stated by others.

That article about 95-101 Pearl definately re-inforces my belief that Hartford downtown is ripe for young professional housing.

As far as those housing projects, I know nothing about them. Are they the ones directly east of the UHart dorms or directly south of campus?

Either way expanding the university could only be good for the city. I do not ever see Trinity choosing to grow in enrollment enough to have an affect on the city. They are a small liberal arts school, and thats fine with them and their enormous endowment. Uhart, however is a school that could benefit from a growing enrollment. With (2005) 718 Staff members, 4545 Undergrads, and 1680 postgrads, it is already a very positive influence on the city. If the school were to continue its plans of growth, and have the help of this large land area, I think the Blue Hills area would benefit greatly for it. If Uhart had twice as many students imagine the change that would have on the area? It would really feel like an education center.

I would definately approve of either of these "projects" if there was going to be something done. I eluded to something simular for capitol ave in my missed opportunities thread. I really had just not gotten to writing what it out. Nice to read that there is at least some possibilities of something happening. This area is such a "no brainer" with most of the flat lot turned into 4-8 story brownstones rowhouses, or other simular walk ups the area would make a huge leap forward that would definately liven up the surrounding neighborhoods. it wouldnt take much of a push for the community to add in art galleries, cafes, artist studios etc. I think this area could easily support over 1000 housing units. If residential towers were included as stated it would free up space for signifigant retail and entertainment space as stated by others.

That article about 95-101 Pearl definately re-inforces my belief that Hartford downtown is ripe for young professional housing.

As far as those housing projects, I know nothing about them. Are they the ones directly east of the UHart dorms or directly south of campus?

Either way expanding the university could only be good for the city. I do not ever see Trinity choosing to grow in enrollment enough to have an affect on the city. They are a small liberal arts school, and thats fine with them and their enormous endowment. Uhart, however is a school that could benefit from a growing enrollment. With (2005) 718 Staff members, 4545 Undergrads, and 1680 postgrads, it is already a very positive influence on the city. If the school were to continue its plans of growth, and have the help of this large land area, I think the Blue Hills area would benefit greatly for it. If Uhart had twice as many students imagine the change that would have on the area? It would really feel like an education center.

That would be great to get rid of two "projects" just outside of downtown. The only thing is that the people in these communities tend to complain about change. Even if it is for the betterment of the city, betterment of the Neighborhood, it does not matter, because there tends to be a sentiment of being owed something. And unless planned changes do not directly benefit the residents you will hear tons of gripes about "where are we supposed to live" a legitimate question.

And that leads me to ask. Where would the displaced residents be moved to? I suspect that there is suffieceint housing stock to absorb these people, but are there programs in place that will make this financially possible for the people currently living there?

It is never easy when people of lesser means are involves as they do not have the means to just move and buy a new house or whatever.

That would be great to get rid of two "projects" just outside of downtown. The only thing is that the people in these communities tend to complain about change. Even if it is for the betterment of the city, betterment of the Neighborhood, it does not matter, because there tends to be a sentiment of being owed something. And unless planned changes do not directly benefit the residents you will hear tons of gripes about "where are we supposed to live" a legitimate question.

And that leads me to ask. Where would the displaced residents be moved to? I suspect that there is suffieceint housing stock to absorb these people, but are there programs in place that will make this financially possible for the people currently living there?

It is never easy when people of lesser means are involves as they do not have the means to just move and buy a new house or whatever.

Two things:

First, I'm not seeing the correlation between a new arena and these projects. One doesn't have to preclude the other.

Second, what I always envisioned for Capitol Avenue was what you would see in Paris, a nice row of 5-8 story buildings with nice iron-wrought railings and balconies. Why something hasn't been done there yet is beyond me, it's been mentioned for over a decade now, and that's the biggest gripe I have with the city, the absolute snails pace that it has for getting anything going.

Two things:

First, I'm not seeing the correlation between a new arena and these projects. One doesn't have to preclude the other.

Second, what I always envisioned for Capitol Avenue was what you would see in Paris, a nice row of 5-8 story buildings with nice iron-wrought railings and balconies. Why something hasn't been done there yet is beyond me, it's been mentioned for over a decade now, and that's the biggest gripe I have with the city, the absolute snails pace that it has for getting anything going.

0063 CAPITOL AV HARTFORD is owned by ALKON HUDSON STREET LLC 0.126 Acres

0067 CAPITOL AV HARTFORD is owned by ALKON HUDSON STREET LLC 1.252 Acres

0108 CAPITOL AV HARTFORD is owned by ALKON HUDSON STREET LLC 0.483 Acres

0126 CAPITOL AV HARTFORD is owned by PRESBYTERIAN FOUNDATION INC.,THE 0.162 Acres

0165 CAPITOL AV HARTFORD is owned by STATE OF CONN OFFICE BUILDING 1.989 Acres

All of the pieces owned by Alkon have konover construction as a mailing address.

If i were in charge of planning this neighborhood, I would include:

1. A large parking garage centrallly located with street level retail

2. The possible relocation of Hartford Stage

3. An arts movie theater

4. A badly needed hotel

5. Two towers flanking West St. on Bushnell Park as a gateway to the neighborhood (already in designs)

6. 4-5 story residential as filler on side streets off Capitol with limited retail at ground level.

If i were in charge of planning this neighborhood, I would include:

1. A large parking garage centrallly located with street level retail

2. The possible relocation of Hartford Stage

3. An arts movie theater

4. A badly needed hotel

5. Two towers flanking West St. on Bushnell Park as a gateway to the neighborhood (already in designs)

6. 4-5 story residential as filler on side streets off Capitol with limited retail at ground level.

0063 CAPITOL AV HARTFORD is owned by ALKON HUDSON STREET LLC 0.126 Acres

0067 CAPITOL AV HARTFORD is owned by ALKON HUDSON STREET LLC 1.252 Acres

0108 CAPITOL AV HARTFORD is owned by ALKON HUDSON STREET LLC 0.483 Acres

0126 CAPITOL AV HARTFORD is owned by PRESBYTERIAN FOUNDATION INC.,THE 0.162 Acres

0165 CAPITOL AV HARTFORD is owned by STATE OF CONN OFFICE BUILDING 1.989 Acres

All of the pieces owned by Alkon have konover construction as a mailing address.

Two things:

Two things:

• 9 months later...

Archived