• No
    • Yes
  3. 3. Transit Tax Repeal?

• Will be Passed (tax eliminated)
    • Will be Defeated (tax remains)
  4. 4. Voter Turnout

• Lower than average
    • Higher than average

Who knows. I know people voting today that haven't voted typically in local elections but are voting to keep the transit tax. The being said, I personally believe a higher than normal turnout could easily be just what you've said. Either way I'm happy to follow the will of the people. I would actually rather see the tax repealed by a high-turnout election than a low one -- at least, to me, I know many people made that decision rather than just a few.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Early Voting, Absintee Ballots and 51% of precints reports, Urban Planet is ready to name Pat McCrory Mayor, School Bonds PASSING, and the repeal FAILING (tax will stay!) as the winners.....just as Urban Planeteers predicted in its pre-election day commentary.

It is also ready to name, Susan Burgess as Mayor Pro Tem, and John Lassiter and Anthony Foxx to the city council

It is not ready to name the 4th city councilman at large, with Peacock (a moderate, pro transit Republican) leading over Ramirez (a not so moderate Republican)

Also, UP is ready to name CPCC Bonds PASSING, and Land Bonds PASSING as winners.

The Vote Against Repeal winning at about a 70% / 30% margin is pretty amazing when the original referundum only passed 58% to 42%. In case anyone is interested, the Board of Elections site has historical results back to 1995, including the 1998 transit tax referendum.

Previous Election Results

FINGERS CROSSED GUYS, I am still nervous!

96% in and its still 70 to 30. Unless the final 7 precincts have 60k For the Repeal people, I think we won. Somebody email "voteforrepeal" and tell him to get on, so I can gloat a little.

96% of precincts are now reported by the Board of Elections. The transit repeal is still 70-30% against repeal, the Bonds have all pretty much passed, and McCrory is back in as Mayor.

I know that the City Council votes often change at the last minute, but right now it appears to be Foxx, Burgess, Lassiter and Peacock.

With the election essentiall wrapped-up, I think people on both sides of the issue will agree that the margin of defeat for the repeal was much greater than predicted. My question is, should the pro transit group be happy with the result, or push for increasing the tax to a full $0.01 in the Nov. 2008 election. The promise of quicker construction (including the streetcar) as well as the ability to have LRT for the SE corridor might be able to convince 50% + 1 to approve an increase in the tax.

I must admit at being surprised at the transit vote so overwhelmingly in favor of keeping the tax. Don't want to be dramatic and say that it is a pivotal point in CLT's history, but it could be.

Given the average person's knee jerk reaction to taxes, what do you guys think is the cause of the lopsided numbers - was the public really that well informed on the need for transit initiatives; was it due to confusion over the wording of the choices; or did everyone who is an advocate tell enough people who told enough people and in turn begat a small movement? I can see voters in even the most progressive of American cities not turning out such overwhelming numbers in support of what is basically one more tax. It really is something special.

With the election essentiall wrapped-up, I think people on both sides of the issue will agree that the margin of defeat for the repeal was much greater than predicted. My question is, should the pro transit group be happy with the result, or push for increasing the tax to a full $0.01 in the Nov. 2008 election. The promise of quicker construction (including the streetcar) as well as the ability to have LRT for the SE corridor might be able to convince 50% + 1 to approve an increase in the tax.

I'd say there should be a period of stabilization. We need to see how Huntersville politics plays out around the North line prioritization and design, how the South line's actual first year goes, how the economy goes, how the federal election goes, and so on. We should not speed up the 2030 plan if the feds don't have budget to help pay in the next few years, but might help pay for all the lines in a hypothetical next administration.

I think we need to just lay low for a while and try to reestablish trust in the system strategy, design and operations.

Hubris could result in a worse situation.

Archived