Traffic Circles

d8alterego

Where would you like to get dizzy?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What intersections of GR would you like to see converted to traffic circles?

• Michigan and Monroe
    • Monroe/Coldbrook and Ottawa
    • Bridge St. and Lexington
    • Fulton and Division
    • Monroe and Fulton
    • Union and Fulton
    • Division and Wealthy
    • Leonard and Monroe
    • Plainfield and Leonard
    • Other

West Michigan is highly impressed with those "confusing" roundabouts.

Now I know that roundabouts help reduce accidents, I just didn't know the extend to which they did:

"A recent study showed the traffic circles reduce injury crashes by 80 percent, fatal crashes by 90 percent and overall crashes by 40 percent." Peter Lewak, Grand Rapids' senior project engineer goes on to say, "Roundabouts force everybody to slow down... they practically eliminate those serious accidents."

Hopefully this impresses the city and the decision makers within MDOT.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious about them as well. Here is the city's website to educate the masses on how to use a double lane roundabout.

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?...ocument_id=6455

Yeah, not too impressive...althought the .pdf is pretty well done. It's just something right on the page that doesn't require you to download a 5.5mb .pdf might be nice. I'm sure there are residents of the city who need to know how to navigate a double lane roundabout who don't have high speed internet.

Archived