Hampton Inn and suites

vdogg

Two new items:

Hampton Inn & Suites went up for preliminary review. This will be new construction located at 120 York Street. I'm a bit confused as to whether this is related to the residence inn or not as its in that general location but I don't think so.

Also,

"Broad Creek Village" has gone up for preliminary review. This is new construction and supposedly mixed use. Lets hope its urban.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two new items:

Hampton Inn & Suites went up for preliminary review. This will be new construction located at 120 York Street. I'm a bit confused as to whether this is related to the residence inn or not as its in that general location but I don't think so.

Also,

"Broad Creek Village" has gone up for preliminary review. This is new construction and supposedly mixed use. Lets hope its urban.

I don't know how I feel about this. These little itty bitty hotels are nickel and diming us to death. If there is seriously that much demand for hotel rooms downtown then why can't they just add a few more floors to the hilton (instead of nearly slashing it in half)?

I don't know how I feel about this. These little itty bitty hotels are nickel and diming us to death. If there is seriously that much demand for hotel rooms downtown then why can't they just add a few more floors to the hilton (instead of nearly slashing it in half)?

Is there still a bank here?

Crestar Bank

(757) 858-3268 120 W York St

Norfolk, VA

The portion of York that ran through the GT site was discontinued and closed years ago. I'm trying to figure out what current businesses or land is affected by this hotel.

Wow Crestar is long gone... That's one of the BIG Richmond banks gobbled up in the 90's. It was acquired by SunTrust and explains the major presence SunTrust still has in the Richmond area (Mid-Atlantic HQ, Mortgage HQ, etc). Does there happen to be a SunTrust location of some sort at that address today?

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbsup: I knew that small lot size would make them build taller than normal.

15-story hotel for DT Norfolk

A developer plans to build a Hampton Inn & Suites in the 100 block of West Brambleton Ave., bringing to four the number of new hotel projects announced for the downtown area.

The 15-story hotel would be built between York Street and Brambleton next to the Granby Tower luxury condominium site. The site is a block away from a nine-story, 160-room Residence Inn by Marriott for which ground was broken Monday on Brambleton between Duke and Boush streets.

So belmont is 7 floors, residence inn 9, Hampton 15, and of course (if built) Granby 34. This will create quite a dramatic step up effect along Brambleton heading towards Granby. This will also create a solid wall of buildings that will in essence complete the urban character of this area and may finally generate a true need to hop Brambleton in order to continue future development.

"we may not see a rendering until the design is approved"

@%4#9&!!! Somehow, I think we'd be seeing better design if the process allowed more public input. Is thois going to be yet another fait accompli? As you say, the lot size indicates a slender building, so we have reason to be hopeful, but I'd love to see renderings put out for public discussion before they are agreed upon in their entirety. Perhaps this is too much to hope for.

"we may not see a rendering until the design is approved"

@%4#9&!!! Somehow, I think we'd be seeing better design if the process allowed more public input. Is thois going to be yet another fait accompli? As you say, the lot size indicates a slender building, so we have reason to be hopeful, but I'd love to see renderings put out for public discussion before they are agreed upon in their entirety. Perhaps this is too much to hope for.

I feel your pain, but unfortunately most people aren't concerned as much about design (like we are) as with traffic, alleged tax increases, subsidies, aliens, illegal aliens, construction noise, etc. I'm afraid the long-term impact (what it looks like) will get swallowed up in other concerns, some legitimate, some absurd.

Too bad this isn't being built across the street, on the north end of Brambleton. A nice way to start that renewal.

Archived