Hampton Inn and suites

vdogg

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"we may not see a rendering until the design is approved"

@%4#9&!!! Somehow, I think we'd be seeing better design if the process allowed more public input. Is thois going to be yet another fait accompli? As you say, the lot size indicates a slender building, so we have reason to be hopeful, but I'd love to see renderings put out for public discussion before they are agreed upon in their entirety. Perhaps this is too much to hope for.

Guys, I just realized a mistake I made in a comment earlier. This project is being done by "Aniesh Corp", not LTD. This means that there may as yet still be one more hotel planned for downtown.

LTD has a portfolio of 22 hotels and is developing 13 more. It is a fast-growing company that has built four hotels in Norfolk and has plans for two more downtown, including a nine-story Residence Inn by Marriott on Brambleton Avenue.

Demolishing the vault

It's tough breaking into a vault - even if you're armed with an excavator.

Workers from Noble Abatement & Demolition Inc. of Chesapeake have spent more than a week tearing down a one-time bank building in the 100 block of W. Brambleton Ave. In its place will rise a 15 -story Hampton Inn & Suites, due to open in 2009.

All that remained standing Friday morning was the vault.

This project goes up for preliminary review before the design review committee on Novemember 14th.

Meeting location and details:

Following is the preliminary agenda for the Norfolk Design Review Committee meeting on Wednesday, November 14th at 4:00 p.m. in the 10th Floor Conference Room at City Hall. There will be an informal discussion of the agenda at 3:30 p.m. in the 5th Floor conference room for those who are interested.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This project goes up for preliminary review of its downtown certificate of appropriateness on Jan 7th. They'd still have to do one more review b4 going on to the planning commission and City Council. A March groundbreaking may be pushing is as they may not have all their approvals in time.

• 2 weeks later...

This project goes up for final review before the design review committee on January 22nd at 4pm. At this rate they will probably get all their approvals in before their target construction date of march.

hinn.jpg

We also may be able to finally see a rendering shortly there after.

This project has been approved 6-0 tonight. "Now that this is done, we can move forward with the project," said Raj Randeria of the Aniesh Corp., a Norfolk hotel management company developing the 146-room hotel in the 100 block of W. Brambleton Ave.

City officials asked Randeria to make significant changes to initial designs done by Atlanta architect Jennifer Pickler.

Working with Urban Design Associates, a Pittsburgh design firm on retainer for the city, Pickler gave the hotel "a more urban feel," said Mark Warlick, chairman of the Planning Commission.

"They changed some materials and some of their exterior designs," Warlick said.

Pickler said she took out some windows and added some granite-based cornices. "We gave it a more linear look," she said. (ALL QUOTED FROM THE ARTICLE.)

Norfolk Hampton Inn Project

:lol: This thing looks like it was drawn on a napkin. I should hope this was the preliminary sketch and that the final design is far more intricate. Oh well, a rendering is a rendering. Guess I have to add this to the P&C thread now.

napkindrawing.jpg

Archived