Hampton Inn and suites

vdogg

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I've harped on this before, but honestly, has any looked on Urban Design Associates' wesbite? They do the "same thing" for every project. If you pull up every project or recent project on their site...you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if they weren't labeled with the location!

Did they buy some property across the street? That looks like a pedestrian walkway from a parking garage to the hotel sticking out at the bottom right corner of the pic. I would really hate for norfolk to have another free standing parking garage.

From all appearances, it's a pedestrian walkway- to a parking garage, one would assume. What disappoints me most about this building is the nasty little bit of pediment on the top. Looks more appropriate for a Bob Evans restaurant than for a hotel in downtown Norfolk. These "nods" to traditional architecture can often make a building much worse than if the design were starkly modern.

• 3 weeks later...
Don't blame the architect. I do not know Jennifer Pickler, but I am sure she is capable of producing outstanding architecture. She produces what her client wants. Mr. Randeria did not get to be where he is by paying for extra frills that do not contribute to the bottom line. Hampton Inn is a mid-priced hotel, and the architecture reflects that.

An inexpensive building need not be mediocre. I can think of many mid-priced hotels with better design than this one. Even a Cambria Suites looks more interesting. Look at the new mid-priced hotels going up all over the world and you'll see plenty of creative design. This one simply looks as though no one is putting much effort into it. Perhaps they feel that the effort is not demanded by the city. Demand better design and you may get it. Accept whatever comes along the pike and settle for mediocrity. Creative design does not necessarily cost more. No one is expecting reflecting pools and granite facing, but the building sholud not be doomed to dullness simply because of the budget.

An inexpensive building need not be mediocre. I can think of many mid-priced hotels with better design than this one. Even a Cambria Suites looks more interesting. Look at the new mid-priced hotels going up all over the world and you'll see plenty of creative design. This one simply looks as though no one is putting much effort into it. Perhaps they feel that the effort is not demanded by the city. Demand better design and you may get it. Accept whatever comes along the pike and settle for mediocrity. Creative design does not necessarily cost more. No one is expecting reflecting pools and granite facing, but the building sholud not be doomed to dullness simply because of the budget.

From the ground level it will look fine IMO. The color and design doesn't bug me about the rest of the building as much as I just don't like the look of precast. If there was just a way to make precast simulate the look of brick, then this building would look so much better. Precast is just boring and just looks way too plain.

From the ground level it will look fine IMO. The color and design doesn't bug me about the rest of the building as much as I just don't like the look of precast. If there was just a way to make precast simulate the look of brick, then this building would look so much better. Precast is just boring and just looks way too plain.

Archived