Hampton Inn and suites

vdogg

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't the company that wants to build the Hampton Inn, just buy the former raddisson? Now it is temporarily named the Norfolk Plaza Hotel?

If this is the case, they must be concentrating on the renovation of the building and maybe demolishing the wings for new development. :dontknow:

Didn't the company that wants to build the Hampton Inn, just buy the former raddisson? Now it is temporarily named the Norfolk Plaza Hotel?

If this is the case, they must be concentrating on the renovation of the building and maybe demolishing the wings for new development. :dontknow:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised that there is a perceived market for this building, especially with the Residence Inn and the underfilled "Norfolk Plaza" so close by. This Hampton Inn is horrible architecture, IMO, and I'd rather see this site combine with the Granby Tower property for something really wonderful. Given that the new, "Norfolk Plaza" signs and banners appear to be made by the same plotter that printed "IS IT GOOD FOR THE COMPANY" in Office SPace, I have to wonder about the developer commitment.

It's too bad that this couldn't be combined with Granby Tower to help that overall project more feasible..... :mellow:

This hotel along with ground floor retail, offices, and condos and apartments could make a more impresive tower on the site along with the GT site!

It would be nice if the city could somehow encourage this! :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...
Why not, it seems to be the only way things happen in Norfolk. :rolleyes: Start with a mediocre rendering, upgrade to something spectacular, then months before groundbreaking cancel it, or come out with a rendering so crappy it makes the original look absolutely breathtaking. Wash, rinse, repeat. I long ago stopped getting my hopes up for buildings in this area.

OMG, the sky is falling! Come on. I really don't see this as that big a deal. This is one project that probably was not needed in the first place. I mean, a new hotel is opening soon almost right next to it. The Westin will be going up just a few blocks away. Why another hotel anyway? To me, this was nothing more than a nice way to fill one small lot.

I'm also amazed how people think nothing is going on and that the economy is killing everything. What about all the development on Brambleton? What about Wells Fargo? 201 Twenty One? Ft. Norfolk Plaza? (I know, it sucks) Riverview Condos? ODU? Light rail? Town Point Park? And this just in the vicinity of DT Norfolk. Development continues (albeit at a slower pace) throughout the region.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived