Ronda Tire on Market Ave. sold - what's next?

PR-15

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing this is simply the easiest way for the land to earn a little revenue (with little maintenance), while they wait for the streetcar to happen... I can see how it makes sense. But if the streetcar was to fall through, I'd be more than a little disappointed in this move. Am I wrong in assuming that something much better will happen here (even if it spends a few years as a parking lot) as soon as the streetcar is official?

I'm guessing this is simply the easiest way for the land to earn a little revenue (with little maintenance), while they wait for the streetcar to happen... I can see how it makes sense. But if the streetcar was to fall through, I'd be more than a little disappointed in this move. Am I wrong in assuming that something much better will happen here (even if it spends a few years as a parking lot) as soon as the streetcar is official?

this seems to make the most sense because the asking price for the property was so high. unless parking lots are really that profitable then maybe those are his long term plans. by putting in a parking lot though he will be able generate some revenue right away which he probably couldn't have done with a large building that would take a lot of rehab to get into shape. The property also wouldn't need much in the future when streetcars are running to get it ready to build something significant there. I would be suprised if this parking lot lasted more than 10 years depending on how long it takes to get the streetcars up and running.

• 1 month later...

When I drove by here last night there was signage up for Avis, although the lot did not appear to be full of rental cars yet. Who is the target market for this place going to be? Without a direct way to get from the airport to downtown besides a cab (without the Air Porter, you have to transfer buses at Woodland Mall), it seems like most people who want to rent cars would rent them out there.

When I drove by here last night there was signage up for Avis, although the lot did not appear to be full of rental cars yet. Who is the target market for this place going to be? Without a direct way to get from the airport to downtown besides a cab (without the Air Porter, you have to transfer buses at Woodland Mall), it seems like most people who want to rent cars would rent them out there.

I think Jason has it right. Just like the new rental car place on Plainfield near Taylor (where it becomes Division). There are also a lot of sales driven organizations downtown where it might be cheaper for the sales people to grab a rental car to drive to Detroit or Chicago than it is to reimburse mileage.

I think Jason has it right. Just like the new rental car place on Plainfield near Taylor (where it becomes Division). There are also a lot of sales driven organizations downtown where it might be cheaper for the sales people to grab a rental car to drive to Detroit or Chicago than it is to reimburse mileage.

Archived