Ronda Tire on Market Ave. sold - what's next?

PR-15

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that Grand Rapids has Chicago to the west and Detroit to the east makes it a VERY far fetched idea that Grand Rapids would EVER get a professional sports team... There are plenty of other cities that don't have a pro franchise within driving distance that would have an instant fan base just because of their location.

It would be sweet... but I'd remain a Pistons fan and probably only go to the GR games when they played the Pistons

The fact that Grand Rapids has Chicago to the west and Detroit to the east makes it a VERY far fetched idea that Grand Rapids would EVER get a professional sports team... There are plenty of other cities that don't have a pro franchise within driving distance that would have an instant fan base just because of their location.

It would be sweet... but I'd remain a Pistons fan and probably only go to the GR games when they played the Pistons

I'm not so sure proximity between two franchises would be that big a deal. Miami and Orlando are about 200 miles apart, and have NBA teams. Houston and San Antonio (actually one of the smaller NBA markets) are less than 200 miles apart, and each have NBA teams. Portland/Seattle are about 175 miles apart. I could go on...

then again Grand Rapids would be the smallest market in the league, so this might be comparing apples to oranges

I love my Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, and Pistons, but if a team came to GR, all my loyalties to Detroit teams would go right out the window. I think it's more likely that we'll see GVSU downtown than any ML sport however. jbr12 -- I don't know if that GR metro pop number is correct. I remember seeing 1.3 mil or so somewhere.

I don't think the proximity to Detroit and Chicago would hurt us too much. We could end up getting Chicago and Detroit traffic coming here for games, as well.. if we had a good team. A Chicago team or Detroit team playing here could also bring in people, I'm sure.

But considering that new arena for Orlando.. yeah, this isn't going to happen.

I love my Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, and Pistons, but if a team came to GR, all my loyalties to Detroit teams would go right out the window. I think it's more likely that we'll see GVSU downtown than any ML sport however. jbr12 -- I don't know if that GR metro pop number is correct. I remember seeing 1.3 mil or so somewhere.

Metro - I gotcha...My point was that I think it's fair to say that people in Holland/Muskegon/Newaygo maybe even Kzoo/Lansing/Cadillac would call a GR team their home team. So, we may be talking 3-4 million people. Like Rizzo said, most people in GR are Det fans because it's the closest thing we have to a home team. I'm a home team guy. I switched to being a MSU fan this year just because they're opening a GR campus...call me what you will. :shades:

• 1 month later...

Street talk in the GRBJ mentions Secchia and his properties with the heading, "Moving Up Along The Rail." I don't subscribe to the Journal, but anyone get the gist of it? I imagine it has something to do with speculation on the streetcar?

• 4 months later...

Sure Pete and Rich, there's nothing going on over on Market Ave. Nothin to see here!

2573856872_8a16577bea_b.jpg

This was from the weekend. I haven't been by yet since then. Anyone notice if they've demo'd any of these buildings? I hope the Commercial Printing building isn't on the chopping block.

Sure Pete and Rich, there's nothing going on over on Market Ave. Nothin to see here!

2573856872_8a16577bea_b.jpg

This was from the weekend. I haven't been by yet since then. Anyone notice if they've demo'd any of these buildings? I hope the Commercial Printing building isn't on the chopping block.

Archived