Ronda Tire on Market Ave. sold - what's next?

PR-15

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the buildings are to come down. A few months ago, the company I work for, received notice to remove any equipment/cables from the premise. Normally this doesn't happen if the building is going to stay up. :dontknow: I think it has always been the purpose to remove the building. If you look at the new US131 bridge that was built when the S-curve was re-done, you can see that the bridge span is more than a whole lane wider than Market/Monroe is at that point.

I believe the buildings are to come down. A few months ago, the company I work for, received notice to remove any equipment/cables from the premise. Normally this doesn't happen if the building is going to stay up. :dontknow: I think it has always been the purpose to remove the building. If you look at the new US131 bridge that was built when the S-curve was re-done, you can see that the bridge span is more than a whole lane wider than Market/Monroe is at that point.

Good point. I seem to remember way back in the mid 90's, when the S-curve rebuild was being discussed, that the Market Ave overpass was to be left wide for any future "transit" upgrades (HOV lane, bus, light rail, etc.). The other bridges to the East didn't matter as much because they are open span with lots of room for a variety of uses (parking right now).

Just a complete random guess on my part but I really do think that someone or some collaboration of people is going to put so much money up for a new GR transit system that it will pretty much be impossible not to build.

That or we are looking at Mystery Project 2.0. :dontknow:

Think of it this way: a new lightrail streetcar system along Monroe would cost a fraction of the cost of the convention center and the arena, yet it would touch virtually every piece of land owned by RDV, Secchia and other big players in town. And yet, does every city GR's size have a convention center (yes), an arena (yes), a light-rail system (NO). Now imagine a marketing campaign 5 years from now touting the area to potential investors, new hires, visitors, and conventioneers, showing a completed med school, VAI, children's hospital, arena, art museum, several brand new hotels, new night life options, new residential development, amphitheater, a reinvigorated riverfront, new development at Market and Fulton proposed (or underway), ANNNNNDDDD a streetcar system that links much of this together with a metro-wide transit system, in planning stages or under construction.

Gold, Jerry, Gold.

Think of it this way: a new lightrail streetcar system along Monroe would cost a fraction of the cost of the convention center and the arena, yet it would touch virtually every piece of land owned by RDV, Secchia and other big players in town. And yet, does every city GR's size have a convention center (yes), an arena (yes), a light-rail system (NO). Now imagine a marketing campaign 5 years from now touting the area to potential investors, new hires, visitors, and conventioneers, showing a completed med school, VAI, children's hospital, arena, art museum, several brand new hotels, new night life options, new residential development, amphitheater, a reinvigorated riverfront, new development at Market and Fulton proposed (or underway), ANNNNNDDDD a streetcar system that links much of this together with a metro-wide transit system, in planning stages or under construction.

Gold, Jerry, Gold.

BTW: The excavator is not there as of lunchtime.

Secchia was chummy to the streetcar. :dontknow:

Some downtown brains are working the streetcar angle (NOT the usual suspects.) Suburban biz interests are thinking rail. The shore wants bus transit to downtown. This goes way beyond transit discussion task force thingamajigs. It's a friggin' revolution! :w00t:

Some downtown brains are working the streetcar angle (NOT the usual suspects.) Suburban biz interests are thinking rail. The shore wants bus transit to downtown. This goes way beyond transit discussion task force thingamajigs. It's a friggin' revolution! :w00t:

I do believe a corridor using 196 or the newly christened M-121 would work for a rail service. A Muskegon service should also be put into place. I think if anything, if they could get 3 projects done what I would like is a high speed ie 100mph service to Holland via Hudsonville & Zeeland and then another light rail service running to Muskegon via Allendale, Coopersville & Grand Haven. The final project would be a two fold one, a street car system running on Monroe and Michigan making a sideways T.

• 3 weeks later...

and hopefully it's not an empty lot for next 2-3 years. I think once the medical mile gets done this is going to be the next big project DT. but that's not scheduled til 2010, so things may start up around there, maybe we won't have to wait much longer.

I don't know if this warrants a new thread or not. Per Mlive the City is planning to purchase the "NAPA" property on Market Ave near/adjacent to their River front property.

"The NAPA building was the only parcel that was not owned by the city north of Market Avenue SW between Wealthy Street SW and the U.S. 131 exit. The city uses the 16-acre site for its public works and motor pool operations and offices for its Parks and Recreation, Traffic Safety and Information Technology departments."

The complete Mlive story is here.

Alarm has sounded again...just had to run to Pallets (great store, BTW) and as I was leaving I not only saw the excavator but also saw it tearing down the buildings. Just thought I'd let you all know...boy, I hope they have something good cooked up!

Demo pictures. It looks like they might be just demolishing the one-story building. Or maybe it's multi-phased demolition. :dontknow: I'm guessing they'll need a bigger crane to demo the taller building, if that's the plan.

2655254155_17f2d2e5a2_b.jpg

2656081356_111b8fbc79_b.jpg

Also, the tire store down the street that Secchia bought was being cleaned and painted today. Not sure if they have a new tenant (?)

Archived