38 Commerce Development

mgreven

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't imagine any potential tenants are ready to be announced. It would be really sweet to see some national retailer locate there to catalyze retail development in the area. If this building were filled up with ground floor retail (not restaurants and coffee shops) I wonder how long it would take for more development to occur along Commerce.

I don't imagine any potential tenants are ready to be announced. It would be really sweet to see some national retailer locate there to catalyze retail development in the area. If this building were filled up with ground floor retail (not restaurants and coffee shops) I wonder how long it would take for more development to occur along Commerce.

I like the concept! It would be interesting to see what facade BETA had proposed. One question. If a parking ramp life span is 30 to 40 years, what happens when it's life is up, and you have a building wrapped around it? It seems as though it would be pretty tricky for tenants.

I like the concept! It would be interesting to see what facade BETA had proposed. One question. If a parking ramp life span is 30 to 40 years, what happens when it's life is up, and you have a building wrapped around it? It seems as though it would be pretty tricky for tenants.

What's the limiting factor on parking ramp life? Is it exposure, or are they just more cheaply constructed due to their function? Since concrete continues curing for along time I'd think a ramp would get stronger with age, at least for a while. Though, why was the Division and Fulton ramp torn down? I thought it was because of structural issues.

Latest news on Mlive

"Jack Hoffman, chairman of the city's Parking Services Commission, is a historic preservationist who typically walks from his Heritage Hill home to his downtown law office."

"Hoffman said he's willing to sacrifice the vacant building at 38 Commerce SW if it will increase the supply of parking in the neighborhood, thereby making other historic buildings more valuable for redevelopment."

"The Parking Commission's blessing was the first of several approvals developer Andy Winkel will need for the project.... Winkel still needs the approval of the Downtown Development Authority, the city's Historic Preservation Commission, state economic development authorities and the full City Commission. Winkel said he hopes to break ground on the project late next year."

You can read the complete article on Mlive.

What's the limiting factor on parking ramp life? Is it exposure, or are they just more cheaply constructed due to their function? Since concrete continues curing for along time I'd think a ramp would get stronger with age, at least for a while. Though, why was the Division and Fulton ramp torn down? I thought it was because of structural issues.

There are condos built all the time with parking structures making up the bottom floors. The hotel proposed for Monroe North has parking on the first few levels. There's parking beneath the Calder. The first level of Icon on Bond is parking.

How is this any different?

With that said, then I'm pretty sure that the life-span of ordinary parking garages may not be an issue here. Considering the implementation of them in all the buildings mentioned above, I'm fairly certain these will all have long lifespans, or perhaps a means of maintenance without complete rebuilding. There's no way they'd take down these buildings after 15 years just for parking ramp reasons.

Archived