Memphis Tigers/Grizzlies Basketball Thread

mempho

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mavs aren't going to be a 1 or 2 seed. They're going to be a 4 seed and we're going to be a 5 seed and thats whats going to hurt us just as it did the last time. The Mavs don't have what it takes to be a 1 or 2 seed. I know we can get past the 1st round this year with the talent that we have, especially since Golden State made it last year. Go Grizzlies!!!

As for the Tigers, Final Four bound baby!!! I hope that we can go all the way to the title game (AND WIN), but I know that we can go to the Final Four with this talented team we have this year!!!

• 2 months later...

I'm a little surprised this thread has been so quiet given the success of the Tigers and the struggles of the Grizzlies. While the Tigers aren't "my team," it's great to see them featured so prominently in national media and also see the strong local support for the team.

As for the Grizz, the lack of disgust about their current situation is a concern. Back in the "good old days" of the 2005-06 season when they had just been swept out of the playoffs, the vibe was not good because of the sweep, but at least the locals cared enough to gripe and complain loudly about their team (think Red Sox fans during a down year...not many of them lately). Now with this poor start, few people seem to care and game attendance backs that up.

Finally, maybe I have been on the road too much lately and missed the discussion in the local media, but was there any controversy generated by the Sports Illustrated Year In Review issue article about the NBA, specifically their predictions for 2008? On page 58, their predictions are that a last-minute deal will keep the Sonics in Seattle, and strong All-Star weekend will help the Hornets in New Orleans, but "the summer will find the Grizzlies on the move out of Memphis." Did the local media dismiss this statement as idle chatter (which experts in 2001 thought the team was coming here?) or does SI know something about Heisley's intentions that we don't?

Who knows what SI bases that one on. Given the fact that every other media outlet in the nation is predicting that the Hornets are not long for New Orleans, I think the writer is just talking.

I don't have much faith in the investigative prowess of the local Memphis press, but I'd think if the team had seriously been considering leaving, even the dummies at the CA would have picked up on it.

Maybe the fan apathy is due to the fact that Memphis isn't large enough to support two pro basketball teams. :P

Edited by sleepy

Right now, the financial obligation of the Grizzlies is quite substantial if they move. I recall the franchise had to pay a large amount of money to the city/county if they moved in the first few years after relocating from Vancouver and the obligation is a declining scale out to 20 to 25 years. I don't think Heisley is looking to take the financial and PR hit from selling to the first bidder. I think the team is still a work in progress and a return to the playoffs is likely in the next 2-3 years. From there, attendance and sponsorships will rise.

There's currently a loophole that says that the Grizzlies can opt out of their contract with the city and consider a move should average attendance to home games drop below 50% capacity. FedExForum, on any given night that a basketball game is held, can hold about 18,000 fans, so if average attendence falls below 9,000, then that will most likely become a major concern for the city's future with the team. Fortunately, that scenario seems less likely for now, considering current attendance averages about 12,000 per home game.

• 3 weeks later...
Trading Pau Gasol to the Lakers seems rather odd. Isn't he about their biggest name and best performing player still? I don't follow the NBA hardly at all besides catching the scores on the nightly news so I am rather uninformed, but he seemed to be the biggest name on the team from the impression I get from the newscasts.

Trading Pau Gasol to the Lakers seems rather odd. Isn't he about their biggest name and best performing player still? I don't follow the NBA hardly at all besides catching the scores on the nightly news so I am rather uninformed, but he seemed to be the biggest name on the team from the impression I get from the newscasts.

^ Sounds like a good move then. I agree with on wanting players to hustle and play hard in order to keep you keep coming back to games (win or lose), which is why I am a fan of AA and AAA since they hustle as hard as they can to get their shot at getting called up to their pro franchise.

Who would be the biggest name and/or rising on the team now with Gasol gone?

^ Sounds like a good move then. I agree with on wanting players to hustle and play hard in order to keep you keep coming back to games (win or lose), which is why I am a fan of AA and AAA since they hustle as hard as they can to get their shot at getting called up to their pro franchise.

Who would be the biggest name and/or rising on the team now with Gasol gone?