South Light Rail Transit

monsoon

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this going to be a city run transit agency? That, I think, would be rather unusual for the US, most are state run.

CATS is operated by the city of Charlotte... there is no transit "authority". I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think there are any changes to be made in that regard.

Is there a lot of opposition to the new light rail in Charlotte? Also, for those of you living in Charlotte, how well do you think light rail will do?

I've experienced a lot of opposition to light rail. When you mention it to most people (at least for me) they tell me how it's a waste of time when what really needs to be done is having a better road system. Granted, Charlotte doesn't have the road system it needs by any means, but LRT is much needed and long overdue in my opinion. I think it will do quite well on that side of town. I think if they were to put it on the east side it would also do quite well as these are the two most dense parts of Charlotte for residential.

South Corridor Alignment:

alignmentmap.jpg

A few renderings...

Scaleybark Station:

Scaleybark.jpg

View of Archdale Drive Station from Old Pineville Road:

Archdale1.jpg

Aerial View of Archdale Drive Station:

Archdale2.jpg

You can view renderings of several different stations by following links at the bottom of this page:

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CATS/T...+Area+Plans.htm

CATS is operated by Charlotte, but a governing board, the Metropolitan Transit Commission controls the planning (approving and amending) and to collect the transit tax, but Charlotte still set CATS budget, including the approval of the purchase of the Light Rail cars. When the MTC was created, it was a compromise between business leaders and the Mecklenburg's municipalities, business leaders wanted a transit authority and the municipalities wanted more elected officials to control the transit agency, to make the the business leaders happy, the MTC will study to see if it is fit to be changed to a transit authority rather than a commission of Mecklenburg's municipalities and Mecklenburg County Chairman.

That is an interesting map. I did not know there is a spur line being considered to what looks like pineville. And I thought the rail line was completely on the east side of I-77 but this map shows it crossing the I-77 and going down what looks like S. Tryon instead of S. Blvd. Is this true?

i think the map is wrong. i've seen the SCIP (south corridor infrastructure project) schematic and it runs parallel with S BLVD with an optional spur east to carolina place mall- it doesnt deviate west towards tryon.

It's nice to see that Charlotte is planning on LRT in the future. Imagine the traffic if there was no mass transit & it continued to grow like it is now! I don't even want to begin to imagine what it would be like. You already have horrendous traffic. It seems even worse then Detroit's traffic a lot of times, and we have a couple million more people in our metro than Charlotte has in its metro.

I find it interesting that they chose to put it from downtown to pineville along South blvd, instead of from downtown north where most of the development is going. To me, that is having little foresight. Cabarrus County (for example) is exploding, and moving away from Charlotte is now en vogue to excape the crappy schools and high taxes. Why put the rail line in an already established area, but even moreso, an area that is rapidly going downhill and will be an undesireable destination in 10 years (South blvd corrider just south of "south end"). Like i've stated elsewhere, I'm not going to ride this just to ride a train... and I won't have any use for it otherwise - and most people that they are targeting to "lessen traffic" won't ride it either because they don't live in the area that the light rail will serve.

This is nothing more than the City Council trying to spurn life into those areas. They undoubtedly see the crumbling area (unlike Central Blvd of the 80's and Monroe Rd of the 90s) and have a plan... at least I applaud them for that, but IMO it's not going to work because the people that will ride it presently ride the busses. Those people are not the people with the disposeable income that spurn business.

IMO they need to go I77 north to Huntersville at least... that's where the money is, and where it's going to be in the future, and those are the people you want coming downtown to support the city.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived