South Light Rail Transit

monsoon

I believe Pat McCrory has already said that he has no plans to do free Wi-Fi in the city of Charlotte because it would require tax payer's money. I think it's a great marketing tool, but if I remember correctly, he doesn't approve of doing it.

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Pat McCrory has already said that he has no plans to do free Wi-Fi in the city of Charlotte because it would require tax payer's money.  I think it's a great marketing tool, but if I remember correctly, he doesn't approve of doing it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

maybe the operative word is "free". It might make equal sense to arrange for a service provider (like T-mobile), so at least it is available for those who pay. Starbucks gets a lot of publicity for having wi-fi, but it isn't free.

I still think there is a reasonable case for free wi-fi, considering the benefits of getting people off the freeways, and into trains... but maybe it would work just as well to provide access to a pay service, and may cost the city nothing. The city could even figure out ways to get T-mobile to market and sell transit passes.

I agree with monsoon, if it is too much of a draw, it could easily be standing-room-only, and the whole benefit would be shot.

From the Oct. 21st Observer:

Going widespread?

With big metro areas like Philadelphia and Chicago announcing intentions to convert their cities into huge hot-spot zones, will the Charlotte region follow suit?

That's a question that has major players looking toward other parties to make the first move.

Providers say that's up to developers. Developers say that's the individual residents' choices. Governments look for ways to get free hot spots from providers, but those services could run out if they don't prove profitable.

"We would prefer to have the private sector lead the effort," Charlotte Mayor Pat McCrory said. More hot spots -- at the airport, within business parks and at college areas, for example -- could help draw business to the city, McCrory said.

It's expensive for taxpayers to bear the bill. Blanketing Davidson with Wi-Fi access would cost nearly $2 million to cover the town's 6 square miles, Campbell said.

Winston-Salem has turned its downtown Fourth Street into a Wi-Fi hub, providing free Internet access along the street or in restaurants and stores.

The city of Concord is considering going a similar route in its downtown area, with provider CT Communications already providing free access at kiosks at Carolina Mall and Concord Mills Mall, said Annette Privette, public information coordinator for Concord.

N.C. Rep. John Rhodes thinks the more public access the better. The Cornelius Republican who runs a real estate business uses Wi-Fi frequently from hotels or while on the road to Raleigh.

"In the future," Rhodes said, "you should be able to access the Internet and tap into the system anywhere in the public."

Bids for light rail higher than expected

11/16/2004 2:44 PM

By: Associated Press

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Bids for Charlotte's light-rail line came in at 32 percent higher than expected, forcing transit officials to cut construction costs and turn to their reserves to pay the $37 million difference.

The added expense is similar to what happened in August to the Triangle Transit Authority in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, which trimmed four stations and seven miles of track from its rail plans.

Charlotte Transit chief Ron Tober blamed higher steel, cement and labor costs. But he promised cuts to keep the train line within its $398.7-million budget.

The Charlotte Area Transit System has $22.5 million available in its contingency funds and from savings after three other contracts that came in under budget, Tober said Monday.

That means the agency still must reduce the cost to build the track and a maintenance garage by about $15 million.

The agency hopes to substitute less expensive materials and make design changes to reduce costs. Some proposed changes include eliminating an elevator tower in the new train garage and substituting precast concrete for some steel in bridges. More cuts will be needed.

"It is not a devastating blow, but we will have to work hard to fit things in $398.7 million," Tober said.

Tober said he does not expect to eliminate stations or reduce the miles of track to save money, as happened in the Triangle. CATS wants to avoid scaling back service because that would likely mean lower ridership.

Consultants in 1998 thought the line could be built for $227 million in 1998 dollars. Once engineers started drawing plans, the price rose to $371 million and later to $398.7 million.

A 9.6-mile double track and 15 stations are planned along South Boulevard from uptown to Interstate 485 north of Pineville. Passengers should start riding in October 2006.

The Federal Transit Administration is expected to pay $193 million toward construction. An additional $6.4 million in other federal money means U.S. taxpayers would pay half the line's cost, with the state and CATS each paying 25 percent.

Tober said he hopes to have all cuts in place by mid-December so the city council can approve contracts.

• 1 month later...

Anyone ready fopr the traffic headache that will plague South Blvd for two years while the light rail line and infrastructure is under construction!? Also, I wonder how the traffic on Central Blvd will be reconfigured for the street cars? That road carries so many cars, tkaing away lanes for the streetcars might not be good.

Its gonan take two years of hell and construction to make one very nice south blvd lol. If i am not mistaken have i read that the trains will be in the median of the road from scaleybark down towards tyvola? i think that will be kind of cool. I just cant wait for the whole damn road to be repaved.....it really needs it!

so techincally the LRT project is really $465 millions including the infrasture work...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Technically its not....since these improvements would have no effect what so ever on the operation of the light rail. These improvements are being made to simply handle the coming development of the area.

• 2 weeks later...

Well looks like the new price tag for the line is $420M

Meck Co will pay 28%

NCDOT will pay 25%

Feds will pay 47%

For MeckCo to come up with the extra money they are going to scrap the Trolley Barn on South Blvd and cut the art budget in half...nothing has been aprroved at this point...but that is the current plan.

My former art teacher from CPCC is heading the art projects for the city for the light rail project.....he kicked me out of class for not having a picture of myself for a project. He is a nice man, but when it comes to art he is picky as hell!

Well looks like the new price tag for the line is $420M

Meck Co will pay 28%

NCDOT will pay 25%

Feds will pay 47%

For MeckCo to come up with the extra money they are going to scrap the Trolley Barn on South Blvd and cut the art budget in half...nothing has been aprroved at this point...but that is the current plan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At least the Mecklenburg voters approved a transit tax so this isn't a total disaster. This would kill the project in other locales.

Archived