South Light Rail Transit

monsoon

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really look forward to the development this will cause along the south line. I'm imagining that a lot of it will just be residential which will be great and make for one heck of a skyline! Though if it is true about the 12 story height restriction outside of the 277 loop then this would of course not be the case. Though Washington DC makes very good use out of it's height restriction and honestly wouldn't mind that type of development. It just means they'll have to build more of it to get the same effect as the high rise structures.

One thing I noticed on the 2010 vision for the CBD was that they had a large park on the freeway cap...I personally think with a lot of residential now coming to the CBD that Charlotte needs that park NOW and I'm honestly missed on why they haven't put a large park downtown. Freedom Park is a little unimpressive and not close enough to downtown and any park within downtown is very small. Any word on the park deal?

A cap/park would be WONDERFUL, but it's not going to happen until sometime down the road. As for parks, Independence park seems nice. That's not far from Uptown. Marshall park is also nice, although it's the size of my pinky nail.

I would love to see South End become more and more a part of Uptown, and I can't wait to someday (sooner than later) see the Knights' ballpark moved there.

the Multi Modal Station won't be completed until the 2010's and it's not part of the South Corridor, but it's part of the whole transit plan, it will be located otherside of Uptown on West Trade across the tracks from J&W University. Currently right now, it is still in planning and NCDOT just finishing buying the land for the station.

A cap/park would be WONDERFUL, but it's not going to happen until sometime down the road. As for parks, Independence park seems nice. That's not far from Uptown. Marshall park is also nice, although it's the size of my pinky nail.

I would love to see South End become more and more a part of Uptown, and I can't wait to someday (sooner than later) see the Knights' ballpark moved there.

Its great to have one big central park but its also great to have a number of small "pocket" parks throughtout downtown.

• 3 weeks later...

In what passes for reporting these days, there is a rather poorly written article in the Observer that says it was government bungling on the part of Charlotte transportation officials that prevented the Bush Administration from granting a full funding certificate for the South LRT. The end result is the line is 9 months behind schedule and with the pending election and other budget shortfalls, could be years away.

I love this quote from our Senator Elizabeth Dole. "We are not going to be rushed."

I have two issues with this. First I think they need to get rid of Tober and put someone in there that is more passionate about Charlotte's transportation. (We don't need a career bureaucrat) Second, I am amazed at the amount or redtape that a municipality has to go through to get a transit line built.

werd, monsoon. tober should have been fired if this story is 100% true. i am disgusted.

Actually...that was Jenna Dorn, FTA Administrator that made the comment "We are not going to be rushed"

This is an interesting story to get the behind the scenes of the down and dirty which exists in every large Govt project. The bottom line here is that Charlotte is still likely to get Full Funding Agreement from the Feds later this year....which is what has been expected for quite some time now. It is unforturnate that this delay happened and prevented us from already having Full Funding, however it is also nice to know that this story is "old news" in that the problem was corrected some time ago, and the Feds seem to be happy with the new model.

I wonder why the Observer waited so long in telling this story. I have been to quite a few CATs meetings that were open to the public...many of which where Dianne Whitacre was there as well. The CATs people were quite open about the Feds not being happy with their models and that it was causing delays. All these meetings happened 6 months to a year ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that CATS is smart to first invest in a corridor that is not going to see any major road improvements for quite some time, especially I-77. I beleive that right now more people would be likely to dump their car and ride the South LRT than any of the other corridors. I don't think that dumping the South LRT project would be a smart thing, considering that if CATS were to do that it would have to immediattely refund $70M back to the Feds.

No one really knows if the LRT is going to work until it starts operation.

My question about Charlotte LRT plan would be is Charlotte urban enough to have LRT? What studies have been done on ridership projection and cost of running that type of system? It's been a while since I've lived in that area and I am pretty sure that a lot has changed in 8 years. What type of ridership does the current bus system generate? There is a lot to consider before committing tax payers money to that type of system. I know the system in St. Louis runs through heavily populated areas where there are 5 and 6 thousand residents per square mile. When I was living in Charlotte, there was never that type of density.

Archived