South Light Rail Transit

monsoon

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard something this morning about a pair of 10-story condo towers proposed at 2525 South Blvd. right near the rail line (corner of South and Remount). I'm trying to find out a little more about this project as its the first I've heard of it. Anyone heard some rumblings? This is the type of development I expected to develop along the line, especially near the stations.

Sounds great....I assume its at the northwest corner where the empty lot and old cleaners are. It's odd that it would be at an intersection with no planned station, but it's not that far from New Bern.

This is great news if it pans out as you've heard cooperdawg.

There should also be a good deal of development on the west side of the line in that same area, with Citiline and someone else (Harris Murr?) looking to do several hundred units of townhouses and midrise units, plus that HHHunt aparment community a couple of block south.

I wonder if the city will at some point add a station just north of Remount due to the future density of that area and the relative distance to New Bern and East/West.

I definately think that if it doesn't hurt LRT operations, CATS should add a station half way between New Bern and East-West. I actually still wonder if that is the possible privately funded station referenced by Ron Tober at MTC. There is a lot of land there and it is gridded and just waiting for density. I can't wait to see that area redeveloped.

If they could extend Iverson across South Blvd and the rail line to connect with Dunvant, then just south of Iverson would be the ideal site for another station. Since that is adjacent to Lowe's, maybe they're willing to privately fund the station for naming rights. :)

Actually I just checked that address....this would be at the northeast corner and include everything between Mac's Biker Bar and Ideal Way.

Correct, that's what I pulled up off of Mecklenburg County Polaris. Across from the Sam's Mart Gas Station and the site recently cleared.

Where is this Lowe's going?

I actually live on the first little house on Ideal Way, behind the Marsh Property lot. We are moving though. Can't stand the noise from Mac's.

I lived very close to you RBW. I was on Poindexter for the longest. I would bet your home is worth a mint now.

I did not want to post this, but will now that the dreaded X is in Birmingham.

My Ex-Wife, who used to work with Marsh Properties, let me know many moons ago that ALL of Marsh's properties on Poindexter were going to be Bulldozed and re-built one day into a MUCH more dense project. If you have ever been down Poindexter you realize the beauty of the Street. It is tree lined and quite frankly a jewel in SouthEnd. The problem is that it was built to a very low density standard.

So with all the momentum shifting further down South Blvd. I would suspect some major announcement from one of the LARGEST land owners in Charlotte to be coming out VERY soon.

The Marsh family has the money and further more they have the political pull to put what they want where they want anytime.

From what I have gathered Poindexter will probably be lined with semi-urban Townhomes. I think the area in front of Poindexter where the Pepsi Co is will be a potential issue thpugh. Is there anyone out there who knows what is going on with this property. I do not, in anyway, want to push Pepsi out, but the reality is that the land would be better served with Retail and Dense Residential uses.

It will be around all of this NEW development plus right beside the existing 3030 South project. I have to believe buyers are really lining up ,since it is right on the line....

Any clues?

A2

The idea is that the structures are ugly as crud, but the trees are gorgeous and the potential for the area is unbelievable. I once lived in a Marsh property place, and had heard rumors that they might one day redevelop their land to match newfound potential of the neighborhood.

As for Pepsi, they also have plans to move, or at least that was mentioned in a transit meeting at some point a long time ago.

I've heard the rumors about Marsh, but I know of no concrete plans or time-frame....but the area sure is ripe now. That are IS really beautiful.

As far as Pepsi....they are accepting unsolicited bids....have a check for about $10M? It can be yours, and they will gladly find a new home elsewhere in the city.

Those apartments are super cheap as well. I would imagine that Marsh will want to eventually build something a little more "high rent" on that location.

When I first moved here we rented an 800 square foot unit for 600 bucks. Not bad eh??? We moved not soon after, which saddened me. I actually liked the Duplexes, but absolutely abhored the units behind Poindexter. They did look kind of unsafe. (I will leave it at that)

But, Poindexter was Great. You had your own Driveway. Your own yard. And in my unit you had a front porch. All that for 600 bucks and you are a quick jog to Uptown.

My guess is that Marsh can allow the rented units to expire and develop "at will". I sincerely believe that it will only be a matter of a year or two before we get something quite dense there.

A2

Archived