Charlotte 28207

monsoon

Some Triviality. Apparently Charlotte zipcode 28207 is the wealthiest zipcode by AGI in the city and is the only area zipcode to be included in the top 100 zipcodes for weath in the USA. It ranks at #87, just below Beverly Hills, CA 28212. I looked at a map and this would seem to be the Myers Park and Eastover.

The complete list can be viewed here.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some Triviality. Apparently Charlotte zipcode 28207 is the wealthiest zipcode by AGI in the city and is the only area zipcode to be included in the top 100 zipcodes for weath in the USA. It ranks at #87, just below Beverly Hills, CA 28212. I looked at a map and this would seem to be the Myers Park and Eastover.

I think this partly from the increasing wealth of the power players in the city rather than an influx of rich people, which partly why the newer trendier areas outside the old wealth neighborhoods are well below. I think this is interesting, but sadly part of what we see as a result is that they are now looking to make larger mansions while staying in the same prestigious neighborhood.

It is good, though, that the wealthiest are still very much closer to the heart of the city, as I think that helps keep them engaged in some more civic issues than people feel further out. Myer's Park and Eastover, for example are both in easy walking distance from higher crime, higher poverty neighborhoods like Grier Heights and Cherry. The other zip codes listed above are much more insulated.

I'm not sure that it has too much meaning, but it is interesting all the same. I wonder if they'd fare as well with the decreases in banking stocks lately.

It is good, though, that the wealthiest are still very much closer to the heart of the city, as I think that helps keep them engaged in some more civic issues than people feel further out. Myer's Park and Eastover, for example are both in easy walking distance from higher crime, higher poverty neighborhoods like Grier Heights and Cherry. The other zip codes listed above are much more insulated.....

I understand the economics and history that created the situation, but I find that the realities of the fact that they are still adjacent creates a common fate or in-it-together mentality. Obviously it is still a major rift of have and have not, but I still find that the older neighborhoods are more connected to the urban and demographic issues than people who live farther out in the suburbs. I know someone personally who grew up in Myer's Park in wealth and still went to be a teacher in an inner city school. Obviously just one example, but that is still my theory and observation.

It's also partly due to stability. For the most part, MP and Eastover are "old money" neighborhoods, as opposed to SouthPark and Ballantyne which were in large part settled by transplants (Ballantyne moreso than SP). It's a fair bet that every time a big layoff happens, a bunch of houses in Ballantyne go up for sale. But those inner-ring families are entrenched with multiple types of wealth invested in the city (salary income, land holdings, business ownership, stocks, etc.) and aren't hit nearly as hard by economic hiccups. Many Myers Park families remained wealthy right through the Great Depression and will continue to be wealthy even if (god forbid) the local economy hits a snag and people start leaving for greener pastures.

I think that you guys are blowing this whole mp/eastover thing out of proportion... The majority of people who live in eastover do not like in 10,000 sq ft mansions, I can think of probably less then 10 houses in eastover that probably do exceed that. Most are large (3-5,000 sq ft) Homes but they are not necessarily multimillionaires who dont have to work etc... There are even on the side streets town-homes and the ostentatious low rise condo buildings

I think that you guys are blowing this whole mp/eastover thing out of proportion... The majority of people who live in eastover do not like in 10,000 sq ft mansions, I can think of probably less then 10 houses in eastover that probably do exceed that. Most are large (3-5,000 sq ft) Homes but they are not necessarily multimillionaires who dont have to work etc... There are even on the side streets town-homes and the ostentatious low rise condo buildings

Archived