Most inappropriately named street in metro GR

GrSportsGuy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

College -- umm...enough said

Fountain -- where exactly is the water?

Stocking -- socks anybody? Nowhere to get them...

Paris, Virginia, Ottawa, Maryland, Chicago Drive (though I heard you can actually take it to Chicago) and so on...

Lake Drive -- well, I guess you can see Reeds Lake at Breton

Lakeside Drive -- blocks away from Reeds Lake

Bridge -- well...I don't know where Bridge ends/Michigan begins, so I guess it depends

The winner: Wealthy -- changing, and more applicable as you move east...but still pushing it.

Most appropriate: Oak Industrial Dr., Orchard Lane (by Fuller & Lake)?? (tree lined st.), Reeds Lake Blvd., East Beltline, Lake Mich. Drive., John Ball Park

I followed Chicago Drive on Google Maps once, to see if it went to Chicago... it dead-ends in Holland. What a disappointment!

College confused me until I realized Davenport is on it at Fulton. Davenport's been around since 1866, so it seems believable that that's where the street got its name.

I followed Chicago Drive on Google Maps once, to see if it went to Chicago... it dead-ends in Holland. What a disappointment!

College confused me until I realized Davenport is on it at Fulton. Davenport's been around since 1866, so it seems believable that that's where the street got its name.

There's a great book at the downtown library called Yesterdays of Grand Rapids. It's a collection of old Press articles written by Charles Belknap. They are mainly recollections of his childhood spent in early Grand Rapids - and quite often offer insight as to why things are named what they are. For instance, Fountain is named so because there was originally a spring in that spot that ran down the hill and into the river.

If you get a chance, read it, you'll have a whole new understanding and appreciation for the city.

There's a great book at the downtown library called Yesterdays of Grand Rapids. It's a collection of old Press articles written by Charles Belknap. They are mainly recollections of his childhood spent in early Grand Rapids - and quite often offer insight as to why things are named what they are. For instance, Fountain is named so because there was originally a spring in that spot that ran down the hill and into the river.

If you get a chance, read it, you'll have a whole new understanding and appreciation for the city.

How about Prairie Parkway near 28th Street in Wyoming. No prairie, no park, no way.

Sunset Avenue, where we all take those great shots of downtown up on the hill. Ummm, no sunset. How about sunrise?

Santa Barbara, San Jose, Santa Cruz and Argentina in East Grand Rapids. Seems more Plymouth, Mass. than Southern California to me.

Does Kalamazoo Avenue go all the way to Kzoo? I think it does actually.

Archived