Grand Rapids Retail History

NorthCoast

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gladstone Shoe Store on Monroe - family owned...gone

Juries (Jurries?) furniture store on Plainfield...gone

Plainfield Department Store (always walked from the far side of Kent CC to the Dept store for sponge candy!)...gone

All great places, though.

Curse you, I had just started to get the old Mr. Fab out of my mind. Now I'm hungry for them again, their onion rings were pretty darn good as well.

Finger's Chicken anyone???????

OK... since ice cream has been mentioned - I'm really going to embarrass myself here:

Who remembers Farrell's Ice cream Parlor near Woodland Mall??? Had what I seem to remember were some incredibly huge dishes on the menu: The second biggest was called "Pike's Peak" and the third largest was called a "Pig's Trough". I can't remember what they called the biggest one - but I recall it would feed something like 10 kids! There was always some fool who would try to eat one all by them self... Best I ever did was to finish off a Pig's Trough...

And of course, there was the whole-staff-sings-to-you schtick for birthdays...

OK... since ice cream has been mentioned - I'm really going to embarrass myself here:

Who remembers Farrell's Ice cream Parlor near Woodland Mall??? Had what I seem to remember were some incredibly huge dishes on the menu: The second biggest was called "Pike's Peak" and the third largest was called a "Pig's Trough". I can't remember what they called the biggest one - but I recall it would feed something like 10 kids! There was always some fool who would try to eat one all by them self... Best I ever did was to finish off a Pig's Trough...

And of course, there was the whole-staff-sings-to-you schtick for birthdays...

Who remembers Farrell's Ice cream Parlor near Woodland Mall??? Had what I seem to remember were some incredibly huge dishes on the menu: The second biggest was called "Pike's Peak" and the third largest was called a "Pig's Trough". I can't remember what they called the biggest one ...

Is that nut shop still downtown? - a little corner shop just about across from Pantlind/AGP. They had the neatest roaster I'd ever seen. They probably had coffee and other stuff. My dad would take me in there for pistachios.

And, wasn't there a Fanny Farmer candy shop somewhere between Stek's and Housemans?

Hmm,*fish, you may be correct.

Also, by that nut shop, there was a "photo shop"! I remember my dad going in to complaint about the Kodak 110 (is that correct?) The counter guy took the camera and shot a pic of my dad and the camera worked...best angry photo of my dad!

Archived