ideas for downtown revitalization

cityboi

name your suggestions for downtown revitalization for any city in the Triad. Try to present some unique bold ideas and just maybe some developers or city leader that lurk here could get wind of some really good ideas

here are some pretty good suggestions an architecture critic for the Chicago Tribune made for Greensboro in terms of architecture

http://preservationgreensboro.typepad.com/...o-cents-pe.html

http://www.blandwood.org/ArchitectureMatte...roandBeyond.htm

"My challenge to you--to the business leaders of Greensboro, to the political leaders and to the citizens--is to recognize that architecture matters and to act on that understand in fresh and creative ways. You’ve made a good start in reviving your downtown, but now it’s time to raise your game to the next level. You can:

• Expand the downtown revival beyond Elm Street to create lively districts; right now, you have one lively street and everything else is pretty much a desert;

• Extend the vitality of downtown into the skyline, which desperately needs a powerful vertical presence, a new campanile, to symbolize downtown’s rebirth;

• Encourage the creation of contemporary architecture that will signal that the downtown is not standing still and that it has moved decisively into the 21st Century

• Ensure that density is accompanied by urbanity in new downtown residential developments-indeed, in all projects

• Keep on preserving the past-the whole past, not mere slivers of it

• And green the downtown, its buildings and public spaces, in a way that gives new meaning to the name Greensboro."

These are some wonderful ideas and Greensboro leaders and developers need to take some notes

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I guess i'll start things off with a couple of DT revitalization ideas for High Point (just to put it at the center of attention for a moment) the city has pretty nice core with some good density for its size, however there are some rather chunky buildings downtown that tend to be rather stark and imposing so I think High Point should first focus on encoruaging infill of a street scaled, pedestrian kind. A huge step in my mind would be to develop the parking lot between showplace and the International Home Furnishings Center (the big gray modern building) with some kind of 4-5 story mixed-use project, with two buildings on either side of the parking lot with a nice plaza with unique water features running down the middle. A development of this type would fill what is right now a gaping hole in High Point's heart and bring attention to one of the more distinctive buildings in High Point (that being Showplace).

A couple of street trees surrounding the front of the International Home Furnishings Center perhaps would help to make the Home Furnishings Center a little less initimidating. For starters though, some new street lights down Main Street and some planters would serve to gussy up Main Street and market it to some potential tenants. High Point could also perhaps put money towards new public art such as some tasteful furniture statues to reflect High Point's position as a center for furniture production.

Another key site that seems rather underutilized are the Sheraton Towers,

link: http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=sherat...ighpoint-nc-usa

a nice old 1920's building that seems sorely underutilized at the moment. The city should make a concerted push to convert to upper-end apartments and bring a sorely needed infusion of residential into downtown High Point. The city could also precede the furniture market convention with some kind of musical events or entertainment. Granted while it is something of a no-nonsense business show it is High Point's biigest draw and the one event that puts High Point at the center of region so why not milk it for all its worth!! :) Either way i'd like to see High Point get involed in the revitalization racket, there pletny room for one more to get onto the wagon!!

Those are some good ideas for High Point. I know its a huge challenge there because much of the space downtown is showroom space but I agree the Sheraton Tower is a great opportunity for upscale apartments. Entertainment is also a must in my opinion. BTW Charles C. Hartmann who designed the Sheraton Towers also designed the Jefferson Standard and Guilford Buildings in Greensboro

Here in Burlington I would like to see the Alamance County's proposed children's museum located downtown. I would like downtown Burlington to be better connected to the Grove Park area (the area near burlington city park). Aestestically some new lighting, shrubbery, signage, and mast arms are needed. The western half of downtown thats isolated by Webb Av needs to be reconnected to the rest of downtown. Digging up those old streetcar tracks wouldn't hurt either :thumbsup:

for Winston, id say the revitalization of Main Street. theres' a lot to see on that street and besides workers, i dont think pedestrians have the opportunity to truly enjoy it. for starters, i would open the RA museum on the ground floor to the general public, add retail to the ground floor of Winston Tower, and turn the old courthouse into a city museum or art gallery.

Continue Restaurant Row with infill development past Liberty St., all the way east to US 52. It wouldnt take much to accomplish since residential, and street improvements have already taken place.

It would be nice if Winston had a large water feature downtown. An artifical river flowing through PTRP would be a good idea, then again maybe thats already planned :) I think that would make PTRP an even more pedestrian friendly campus and draw people there.

I will have to research, but that has been discussed in other revitalization plans about having an artificial river/creek to run thru downtown W-S. I actually think there may have been a small creek that went close to downtown that has been driven underground they were referring to.

Winston-Salem has a small but active farmers market in downtown. It allows local farmers to bring harvested crops to the city and sell this food right off the bed of their trucks. Given the dismal food quality offered in suburbia and rising fuel costs, my hope is that our Triad cities will develop more local farmers markets.

Some 'food for thought' : http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/121

Winston-Salem has a small but active farmers market in downtown. It allows local farmers to bring harvested crops to the city and sell this food right off the bed of their trucks. Given the dismal food quality offered in suburbia and rising fuel costs, my hope is that our Triad cities will develop more local farmers markets.

Some 'food for thought' : http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/121

I forget the name of the small stream (it's the next one to the east northeast of Tar Branch - it has a name, but is not labeled on the 1:24,000 scale U.S. Geological Survey topographic map) in PTRP, but there is something on the drawing Board to uncover it, and make it a strolling green area.

The more promising idea, which is scheduled (or at least intense discussion) is to make Salem Creek (the small stream in PTRP flows into Salem Creek) in nearby Southeast Gateway some sort of preserved waterway, probably a green area. I hope that the width of Salem Creek here can be enhanced (it gets much larger as it flows southwest to Muddy Creek, which flows into the Yadkin River). Also, I hope some portion can/will be turned into a sort of Riverwalk with shops, etc.

I agree. Additionally, I just don't understand why there hasn't been a push to make downtown Burlington a more liveable area. Its your typical "Main Street, USA" that's not plastically implanted into a suburb 45 minutes away from a city center, nor has it been ravaged by drugs and crime. The LabCorp headquarters is located downtown with many other banks and businesses (aka lotsa jobs!), however, there are no grocery stores or pharmacies, and limited other retail options. The space is there, but it's currently taken over by parking lots and randomness. As it is currently well preserved and safe, I don't see why city leaders shouldn't use those qualities to their advantage and make downtown the new hotspot.

http://www.burlingtondowntown.com/

Here in Burlington I would like to see the Alamance County's proposed children's museum located downtown. I would like downtown Burlington to be better connected to the Grove Park area (the area near burlington city park). Aestestically some new lighting, shrubbery, signage, and mast arms are needed. The western half of downtown thats isolated by Webb Av needs to be reconnected to the rest of downtown. Digging up those old streetcar tracks wouldn't hurt either :thumbsup:

I think Burlington is a large enough city to make something great happen for its downtown. Its one of the fastest growing cities in the Triad. Its located between Greensboro and the Triangle so its an ideal place to living if you happen to be commuting between the Triad and Triangle on a regular basis. There is just so much opportunity for Burlington.

Archived