Charlotte Bike Lanes

Bikeguy

That looks great. I do not bike long distance, but I completely support having a thorough bike network, and am pretty happy that the city and county plan such a comprehensive plan of bike lanes and greenways.

In a related matter, today on Tryon I saw a policeman on a segway putting a bandaid on the elbow of a bike messanger. It was a very urban moment, I thought, so I felt I should share that.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It isn't like they are going to suddenly cancel the Carolina Thread Trail or something because of a public comment period. In something like this where the people who go will be very much for the goals of the plan (ie. anti-bike car drivers aren't going to show up to this), I doubt the public comment period will result in substantial changes.

The Charlotte Department of Transportation is asking for your input, take advantage of this opportunity.

You are cordially invited to the draft presentation of the Charlotte Bicycle Master Plan. The public meeting is set to be held on the evening of Wednesday, February 27. There will be two briefings which participants can choose between, one beginning at 6:00pm and the other at 7:30pm. Both meetings will be held in Room 280 on the second floor of the government center. There will be maps of both short term and long term bicycle facilities available for review and any comments will be welcome.

The plan has been posted on www.bike-charlotte.org for review.

600 East 4th Street, Charlotte, NC 28202

Date: Wednesday, February 27

Time: Two identical briefings are scheduled...6:00 p.m. or 7:30 p.m.

Bicycle parking can be found in the Fourth Street plaza adjacent to the Government Center

The Bicycle Master Plan will be the chief document to guide development of bicycle facilities and policies to further the City

• 4 months later...

I agree.. Seventh Bridge Street is very accommodating and once you cross Sugar Creek you can ride thru Independence Park thru the rose garden and up to Pecan. There are cyclist on Pecan all the time now. When I ride I take the entire lane and do not risk having a driver leave enough space. Once you cross the railroad tracks there is still plenty of room when passing under Independence.

Wear a helmet and make sure to have a rear light.

Safe Riding!

God help me, I didn't think I was going to survive, but I did. Elizabeth's neighborhood streets are very accommodating to tragically out of shape cyclists in need of respite. Physical prowess aside, 7th proved to be an easy ride. Thanks for the tips.

• 5 weeks later...

Yesterday I had my first very near collision. I was on a two lane portion of Mallard Creek near Sugar Creek about to make a left, so I took the lane 50 or so yards ahead of the intersection and clearly signaled a left-hand turn. A split second before I turned, a woman behind me swerved around me in the oncoming lane, yelling about "staying on the side of the road." A half second later, and I would have been in my turn and been hit. My reaction was to slam on my brakes, which elicited a horn blast and cursing from the truck behind me. I guess my response of middle fingers and cursing wasn't the best response. I've been trying to think of better responses; perhaps "learn the law!" or "I have a right to the road." Also, should I take the lane earlier or be more assertive or what?

I try to stick to lower traffic parallel roads and bike lanes when possible, but getting to uptown from Derita/Rockwell Park/Croft area is tough because you have to use Graham, Statesville, or Sugar Creek for at least part of the ride. It is good that parts of Nevin Rd. have had bike lanes added.

Anyway, here are couple videos from a bike courier blogger in Charlotte:

Nice videos InitialD... I particularly like the one of the cyclist opting to go up the steps instead of using the ramp..

If you have a hankering to modify your bike along with your camera you might want to check out the bike re-cyclery @ 15th & N. Davidson on Monday nights. A Co-op is ongoing that night from 6-til. The shop's tools & benches are available and there's usually a few cold beers in the communiity fridge.

Nice videos InitialD... I particularly like the one of the cyclist opting to go up the steps instead of using the ramp..

If you have a hankering to modify your bike along with your camera you might want to check out the bike re-cyclery @ 15th & N. Davidson on Monday nights. A Co-op is ongoing that night from 6-til. The shop's tools & benches are available and there's usually a few cold beers in the communiity fridge.

I just fixed up my old bmx bike and started riding it around uptown, mainly to work. I never see bmx/freestyle riders anymore, but plenty of skateboarders. Are there any laws/policies I should be aware of concerning riding on sidewalks vs. roads up here? I feel a bit out-of-place (maybe just because you don't see many guys in their 20's riding a bmx bike!) and am totally new to riding in an urban environment. It sure is fun though. Gives those vacant First and Third Ward lots an ounce of worth for me.

*edit* oops found the coffeehouse thread that answers my question. guess i'm breaking the law along with the guys in the videos above!

I just fixed up my old bmx bike and started riding it around uptown, mainly to work. I never see bmx/freestyle riders anymore, but plenty of skateboarders. Are there any laws/policies I should be aware of concerning riding on sidewalks vs. roads up here? I feel a bit out-of-place (maybe just because you don't see many guys in their 20's riding a bmx bike!) and am totally new to riding in an urban environment. It sure is fun though. Gives those vacant First and Third Ward lots an ounce of worth for me.

*edit* oops found the coffeehouse thread that answers my question. guess i'm breaking the law along with the guys in the videos above!

Archived