UCF to offer MURP!

Migman

I just got a confirmation from one of my professors (who just happens to be the dean of HPA) that UCF has just recieved money to begin hiring faculty for a Master of Urban and Regional Planning program! I am so psyched. Win! On top of that I just got offered an internship with Casselberry's planning department. Two good news in one day. Can't beat that.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

i called ucf to find out when they would start offering degree and they told me it would take about 5 years. is that normal?

in the meantime, anyone interested can take the courses for the certificate and those credits are transferable to the degree.

Who did you talk with at UCF? The time frame that I got from one of the deans over at HPA is that at the very earliest the program would start during the fall of '08. He is directly responsible for the actual hiring of staff for the new program, and he said they should start getting money for that soon. The one thing he said which kinda irked me is that the graduate program, just like the undergrad minor, would be mostly online. I just don't think that urban planning lends itself very well to online teaching.

• 2 years later...

I recently came across some news about UCF's new Master's in Urban and Regional Planning. I wanted to see if anyone else had posted on the subject before. I found this old post and thought it would be fun to reply to it after almost three years ;)

So, many of you might have already read this article from the Orlando Business Journal from August about the new MURP program that started this fall semester. It offers concentrations in environmental planning, health and human services planning, and transportation planning (probably my favorite). You can read more about it in UCF's graduate catalogue.

My question then, and the original reason for this post, is: Are there any urban planners on this board and/or would you recommend this program? I actually got accepted into the URP MS at FSU a few years back (I heard it's one of the best), but got an opportunity to work abroad and did that instead. After coming back, I wanted to go back to school for education, even though I've been interested in urban planning for a while. The only thing that really kept me from it was that I wanted to stay in Orlando and UCF didn't offer it at the time.

Do you think now's a good time to be an (aspiring) urban planner in Central Florida? What are the job opportunities in our area?

I recently came across some news about UCF's new Master's in Urban and Regional Planning. I wanted to see if anyone else had posted on the subject before. I found this old post and thought it would be fun to reply to it after almost three years ;)

So, many of you might have already read this article from the Orlando Business Journal from August about the new MURP program that started this fall semester. It offers concentrations in environmental planning, health and human services planning, and transportation planning (probably my favorite). You can read more about it in UCF's graduate catalogue.

My question then, and the original reason for this post, is: Are there any urban planners on this board and/or would you recommend this program? I actually got accepted into the URP MS at FSU a few years back (I heard it's one of the best), but got an opportunity to work abroad and did that instead. After coming back, I wanted to go back to school for education, even though I've been interested in urban planning for a while. The only thing that really kept me from it was that I wanted to stay in Orlando and UCF didn't offer it at the time.

Do you think now's a good time to be an (aspiring) urban planner in Central Florida? What are the job opportunities in our area?

I have a thread going on over in . Let's carry this conversation over there.

Archived