Uptown South?

grodney

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one of the more insidious things about these maps and concept is they have simply thrown in the towel and have essentially admitted that downtown (uptown) is now defined by I-277 and I-77. Most of these roads didn't exist 25-30 years ago and certainly make up a very small portion of Charlotte's history. Yet now we define our city by these highways. It's an amazing admission of the failure of urban planning in Charlotte that I don't think anyone realizes.

One would have hoped they might have taken another approach and defined the city by something other than NCDOT highways. Think about it.

I know! Although uptown has long had a similar boundary as the current 277 loop (Boundary Street, for example, was replaced by Belk Freeway), but we are now in an era where we are trying to restore walking interactivity across the freeway, so this is another negative aspect of these stupid signs. Why not have them go to Morehead, Kings, and the Seaboard Railroad? That would be closer to history, and help support the walking routes to Met Midtown, Little Sugar Creek Greenway, Historic Alpha Mill, etc. Why not use these maps to help support this trend and plan?

These are just symbols of almost everything wrong with how those types of people think of uptown. I bet they drive in from their SouthPark area homes everyday and worked with out of town consultants that didn't have more than a ten minute primer on the city. Are they planning up replace these signs every year when stuff gets built? Are they going to change their 'ward' boundaries every year when random projects get built? What in the world will they do when there is actually a mixture of residential with everything else? I guess it simply won't count as being part of the Ward neighborhood at all, it'll just be placeless 'Uptown North' or something.

I dont see this as being as bad because there was no way for them to fit the entire thing vertical. (other then making it smaller).

I think smaller would have been better. There's no real reason it needed to be that big.

North isn't up.

Logical north isn't up.

The way you are facing isn't up.

One of those really needs to be true. In my opinion.

• 3 years later...

Archived