Raze the Boutwell Municipal Auditorium

kayman

Well, I guess Dystopos was right on the money. The latest announcement has called for the razing of the Boutwell to expand the Birmingham Museum of Art, which currently the largest municpal art museum in the Southeast, to expand to hold more travelling exhibits and allow showpieces that are currently in the Museum's basement. This announcement was made last night by Mayor-elect Langford and Council President Carole Smitherman during the Operation New Birmingham meeting @ the Alabama Theatre.

The biggest argument surrounding the Boutwell is it costs more to maintain than it does to operate the auditorium.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I guess Dystopos was right on the money. The latest announcement has called for the razing of the Boutwell to expand the Birmingham Museum of Art, which currently the largest municpal art museum in the Southeast, to expand to hold more travelling exhibits and allow showpieces that are currently in the Museum's basement. This announcement was made last night by Mayor-elect Langford and Council President Carole Smitherman during the Operation New Birmingham meeting @ the Alabama Theatre.

The biggest argument surrounding the Boutwell is it costs more to maintain than it does to operate the auditorium.

^^^Woob, that was not even necessary and very counterproductive. Everything Langford does is about the multi-pupose facility that has been proposed. Dystopos has been mentioning this for months. The cynicism that everybody wants to have about Langford is not going to pull this region forward, but continuously hold it back. I didn't vote for him either, but nag at everything he announces. Instead, I'm looking forward towards the future and hoping that a true leader that unites this place rather than divide this place steps forward in time for the next mayoral election.

Back on topic: I would be a good thing to see the Museum of Art expand and make it capable of being able to come more available for more exhibits. The Cultural District in the City Center could really use the boost.

^^^Woob, that was not even necessary and very counterproductive. Everything Langford does is about the multi-pupose facility that has been proposed. Dystopos has been mentioning this for months. The cynicism that everybody wants to have about Langford is not going to pull this region forward, but continuously hold it back. I didn't vote for him either, but nag at everything he announces. Instead, I'm looking forward towards the future and hoping that a true leader that unites this place rather than divide this place steps forward in time for the next mayoral election.

Back on topic: I would be a good thing to see the Museum of Art expand and make it capable of being able to come more available for more exhibits. The Cultural District in the City Center could really use the boost.

That's what the City Council is for to wrangle him in not to make fiscally unwise decisions. If they don't do their job, then they will lose their council seat come next election. Now let's stick to the topic about razing the Boutwell Auditorium.

I'm really not sure what to think about this. I do support the expansion of the museum of art. As it is, Boutwell is kind of an obstruction and an eyesore that blocks the view of downtown from the interstate, not that people should be gazing at downtown instead of driving. I really don't see any problem with it, since it is kind of killing its budget.

Unless there's any kind of historical significance to it, I'm all for tearing it down, as long as the museum definitely expands in its place.

i can't believe i'm saying this, but...i think it's a good idea. whether it's a priority idea is another issue, but bham has few enough of the good ones, anyway, that it's easy for me to embrace one, big or small.

the museum is an asset that could be made into a landmark - one that alters the character of downtown's north side, especially if the other projects in the works go forward (june 2009 for the entertainment district's G.O.? mmm...a year and a half...right.)

langford's...joie de vivre...has an upside - he'll want to blow any project - any, that is, sprung like apollo from his own head - up to be larger than life; he's said as much about the museum (best architect(s), competing for design contract, etc.) not a bad side effect of having an...enthusiastic...guy for mayor.

there y'go; there's my positivity. wonder what kyle's gonna write about this week.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a good idea. The Museum of Art is a big plus for this city. Expanding it will only make it better. Besides, with the entertainment & BJCC expansion looking more and more likely, any use of the Boutwell Auditorium could be more than made up for (in terms of event space). I understand there is some significance to the facility, but I absolutely think that in this case, the benefits may exceed any negatives... JMO.

Archived