Election for Fayetteville Mayor

Latest news in the race for Fayetteville mayor is that Bill Ramsey of the Fayetteville Chamber of Commerce is considering a campaign. I imagine he would have some of the same ideas that Koenig did since they are both associated with the Chamber.

Even bigger news is that Mayor Dan Coody may be reconsidering his decision to not run again. While he hasn't confirmed this it sounds like he is concerned that the city may shift to a less balanced approach to city government. I think his middle of the road approach has been very beneficial to the city. I believe he more atune to the challenges that Fayetteville is facing and has the experience to meet them.

It should be an interesting election season for Fayetteville city politics.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

He'll need to have a good explanation of the waster water improvements debacle and stick with it. That is what his opponents will use against him regardless of whose fault it was.

I hope he runs and wins- he has been a good mayor and is much better than the other candidates. He's able to find middle ground between the factions in the city and get things done. Jordan would be a major setback for the the economic development of the city - I think nothing would get done and there would be even more long nasty fights about city growth if he won. Clark is an outsider trying to rehab his image at the city's expense. Eilers is the least undesirable of the three but I don't think he really has a handle on what needs to be done.

He'll need to have a good explanation of the waster water improvements debacle and stick with it. That is what his opponents will use against him regardless of whose fault it was.

I hope he runs and wins- he has been a good mayor and is much better than the other candidates. He's able to find middle ground between the factions in the city and get things done. Jordan would be a major setback for the the economic development of the city - I think nothing would get done and there would be even more long nasty fights about city growth if he won. Clark is an outsider trying to rehab his image at the city's expense. Eilers is the least undesirable of the three but I don't think he really has a handle on what needs to be done.

Yeah I think I'd have to agree with your assessment. I personally prefer Coody as well, but I do know people who won't want him to get another term. Some people I know think he's too 'anti business', but I'm like you, I think he has done pretty well at trying to be in the middle.

Oh yeah- great call, OnDickson- sounds like he has a inside take on the race. I hope he shares more with us.

I thought it would be interesting to have a list of what we think are the top issues are in this race. Feel free to add your own issues, comment on what is listed and dispute them.

1. Retaining the main facility of the Walton Arts Center in Fayetteville, preferably adjacent to the current site. While the mayor may have limited ability to influence this, whoever is elected should take the lead in trying to keep it in town.

2. Promoting the expansion of Fayetteville's sustainability initiative and overall economic development of the city. This includes making the city more business friendly and bringing those green companies here.

3. Continuing and finishing the downtown improvements around the square and along College Ave.

4. Making sure that the transportation improvements bond issue is managed properly and the projects themselves are managed properly.

5. Increasing the overall quality of life in Fayetteville- it's a great little town now but how can it be made better? This is a very subjective issue but hearing what each candidate thinks would be interesting.

I didn't include the hot button issue of the location of Fayetteville High School because I think that is not an issue that the mayoral race should include and may not be an issue at all by November as we'll be back to square one by then.

Excellent list, zman. You are right on the money especially #1 and #2. Expect those to be big issues during the course of the election. Actually I think #2 could be seperated into two issues: 2a)sustainability and 2b)making the city more business friendly. At least in the early stages of this race, expect to hear more about 2b)making the city more business friendly than any of the other issues.

This is going to be an interesting (and likely entertaining) race that won't be decided on Nov 4th, but rather in a runoff election. Right now there are 3 candidates who have a legitimate shot to win so there's going to be a lot jockeying to see which 2 survive to the runoff. Pay close attention to which candidate the Chamber of Commerce decides to support. There are a lot of ex-Koenig supporters out there looking for the candidate who best represents their interests.

I also agree good list zman. Yeah it really seems the 'business friendly' issue will end up playing a big role in the election and also sort the candidates out. I'd really like to see some middle ground on that issue myself. I would like to see the city more development and business friendly, but there are limits. If you stir too far that course you end up being like Springdale that allowed any development of business and it eventually affects 'quality of life'. But too far the other course and you end up pushing more of the growth to Benton County. Personally I think Coody best represents that middle ground.

The latest in the mayoral race is that if Dan Coody is relected he may be eligible to receive a state mandated pension. There are several requirements that have to be met and he would lose the money that he has put into his retirement account for the previous years if he did take the pension. The city clerk and attorney have the same pension available to them.

The NWA Times' headline and article on this news could seem in line with their recent editorial against Mayor Coody's possible entry into the race. While it is understood by all that the incumbent will be under greater scrutiny than others in the race, I sincerely hope the media's reports in this race aren't slanted with negative attention towards one candidate but instead on what each candidate offers for the future.

NWA Times article

The latest in the mayoral race is that if Dan Coody is relected he may be eligible to receive a state mandated pension. There are several requirements that have to be met and he would lose the money that he has put into his retirement account for the previous years if he did take the pension. The city clerk and attorney have the same pension available to them.

The NWA Times' headline and article on this news could seem in line with their recent editorial against Mayor Coody's possible entry into the race. While it is understood by all that the incumbent will be under greater scrutiny than others in the race, I sincerely hope the media's reports in this race aren't slanted with negative attention towards one candidate but instead on what each candidate offers for the future.

NWA Times article

• 4 weeks later...

Here's something that could end up playing a role in the upcoming election. Looks like Coody is supporting the idea of providing the full funding that Ozark Regional Transit suggests of $250,000. ORT has cut back on routes in Fayetteville and Springdale because both cities haven't been paying the full amount suggested by ORT. I Haven't seen what the other candidates believe on this subject but I think it could be something that helps divide some of the candidates.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know why Fayetteville does not shift funding from ORT to Razorback Transit? I know that ORT has ties with the other communities but it seems that Razorback Transit has a stronger backbone and would provide a wider reach for Fayetteville citizens within the city limits. Not sure if they would be able to charge passengers though, that might be one reason... I am just thinking outloud I guess.

Does anyone know why Fayetteville does not shift funding from ORT to Razorback Transit? I know that ORT has ties with the other communities but it seems that Razorback Transit has a stronger backbone and would provide a wider reach for Fayetteville citizens within the city limits. Not sure if they would be able to charge passengers though, that might be one reason... I am just thinking outloud I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

An issue might be coming to a head soon. Dan Coody apparently presented a budget that dips into the cash reserves of the city in the area of a little over $500,000. But it doesn't sound like the City Council is happy with that, including Lionel Jordan who's also running for mayor. Coody says he doesn't want to cut city employees and also doesn't want to raise taxes so that's why his proposal dipped into the reserves. But obviously something is going to have to give. If the city doesn't cut employees or raise taxes then it would seem that they'd have to cut back on services if the reserves are 'off limit'. I'm curious to see how the candidates are going to line up on this issue.

An issue might be coming to a head soon. Dan Coody apparently presented a budget that dips into the cash reserves of the city in the area of a little over $500,000. But it doesn't sound like the City Council is happy with that, including Lionel Jordan who's also running for mayor. Coody says he doesn't want to cut city employees and also doesn't want to raise taxes so that's why his proposal dipped into the reserves. But obviously something is going to have to give. If the city doesn't cut employees or raise taxes then it would seem that they'd have to cut back on services if the reserves are 'off limit'. I'm curious to see how the candidates are going to line up on this issue.

I think this is manufactured issue- Mayor Coody did what he is supposed to do- present the best budget he could to the council. Certain members of the council and community want to put him in between a rock and a hard place for their own political gain. If the council doesn't like the budget they have the power to change it- it's in their lap now and they need to deal with it. This another case where Mayor Coody is showing great leadership by doing what he thinks is right while taking heat for it.

I realy like to hear exactly what Jordan would do - cut employees (which he is on record as being deadset against) or raise taxes. As much as he panders to each individual if he is elected mayor nothing substantial will get done. He'll be too busy catering to the small problems of each and every person that he's beholden to that the city as a whole will suffer. Leadership doesn't mean trying to make everybody happy- it's doing what is best for the entire city.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched some of the mayoral debate on channel 16 yesterday. I probably watched about 45 minutes of it. Most of the time it was about the budget issue of using reserves for the 2009 budget.

Anyone have some thoughts on that?

There were a lot of candidates, with 4 being serious probably. Anyways, I think Coody was the only one supporting the using of the reserves. He also seemed the only one would not support the millage increase to fund a cost-of-living increase for city employees, although everyone else's answers seem to imply that if it was the last viable option they would. On that note, because Coody is mayor he is the only who could seem to address decision questions directly, while others just waxed political. Steve Clark and Coody are the only choices who seemed to have diplomatic skill, while I assume the only other serious contender is Lioneld Jordan.

Jordan and the council was criticized heavily for the intention or notion of boycotting the budget discussions. I have a hard time understanding Jordan as a candidate, but like Bush in 2004 and McCain this year I always fear what the public can do. Of course I also fear Obama's candidacy too.

I watched some of the mayoral debate on channel 16 yesterday. I probably watched about 45 minutes of it. Most of the time it was about the budget issue of using reserves for the 2009 budget.

Anyone have some thoughts on that?

There were a lot of candidates, with 4 being serious probably. Anyways, I think Coody was the only one supporting the using of the reserves. He also seemed the only one would not support the millage increase to fund a cost-of-living increase for city employees, although everyone else's answers seem to imply that if it was the last viable option they would. On that note, because Coody is mayor he is the only who could seem to address decision questions directly, while others just waxed political. Steve Clark and Coody are the only choices who seemed to have diplomatic skill, while I assume the only other serious contender is Lioneld Jordan.

Jordan and the council was criticized heavily for the intention or notion of boycotting the budget discussions. I have a hard time understanding Jordan as a candidate, but like Bush in 2004 and McCain this year I always fear what the public can do. Of course I also fear Obama's candidacy too.

I think using the reserves is a is much better idea than the alternatives of raising taxes, laying off employees or cutting services. It's not something that should be done on a regular basis but since this is an economic downtown period using money that isn't designated for any specific need to tide us over is a wise move. With the sales tax revenue increasing as it has the reserves may not be actually needed next year, or least not as much as is being called for. Tighter controls on spending also should be implemented where possible.

I agree that Clark is a skilled politician and knows how to get his ideas across although I don't think he would make the best mayor or really has a chance. Jordan seems to me like he tries too hard to please everybody and will say whatever he needs to in order to get elected. He seems like a career city politician and would make the worst choice for mayor possible- I'd vote for Sutton or Fire Cat before I would Jordan. Eilers has some good ideas but probably won't make the runoff- I think it will be Coody and Jordan. It will make for a very tight and possibly divisive runoff election.

Mayor Coody will get my vote because I think he has done a good overall job and Fayetteville has moved forward during his two terms so far. He obviously has made enemies and some mistakes but gets a lot more flak about them than he alone deserves. He has led Fayetteville in the direction of becoming more Green and it is paying off. The contacts he has made can only help advance the economic development of the city. At a time when the retail section of the city has taken a hit because of the growth in Benton County he has helped the city's sales tax revenue start growing again. The road bond program and the Square/ Dickson St./College Ave improvements have all happened on his watch. Another term for Coody is a good idea.

Archived