Detroit's Population on the Increase since 1967

TheDetroitCity99

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

be careful with your numbers.

I think they only revised numbers from 2006. Which means that the 2005 numbers may also have actually been higher and we still may have seen a small drop in population, though not as big as registered before.

If you revised both sets of numbers you might see something like a drop from 930,000 to 915,000. Whereas, by sticking to incorrect numbers it gives the false sense that the numbers are increasing.

There is a very small chance that the numbers really did increase, and we should take the psychological boost for what it is, just remember that numbers are fickle little creatures that often do what you tell them to - so be careful.

I think that Detroit's population has dropped since 2000 but has started to go up at the slightest increase because of the downtown sprawl. I think this is the startings of the "Increase" of population. Even though more people are moving into downtown, more people are moving out of the bad parts of the city. I don't think that level will even off for a few more years, but it is a great pyschological boost for everyone involved in the city.

I think that Detroit's population has dropped since 2000 but has started to go up at the slightest increase because of the downtown sprawl. I think this is the startings of the "Increase" of population. Even though more people are moving into downtown, more people are moving out of the bad parts of the city. I don't think that level will even off for a few more years, but it is a great pyschological boost for everyone involved in the city.

Talk about misreading and misrepresenting and issue...

Anyway, it shows what most of us had always suspected, that the population drop in Detroit (and most other post-industrialized cities in the so called Rustbelt) aren't falling anywhere near as quickly as they have been predicted to have been doing. This does not even for a minute show that Detroit's population has grown. I have no doubt in my mind that that is not even the case. The 'growth' is simply a recorrection of an undercount, a technical 'growth' that even the least bright among us know is not an honest 'growth' rather a correction. Why anyone would choose to represent this otherwise is is beyond me unless they honestly don't realize that this is not a growth.

What it does show is that the Census does an absolutely horrible job of counting these type of cities when you can make an undercount of nearly 50,000. Detroit should have been challenging the Census long ago like the likes of DC, Cincinnati, st. Louis, and others who regularly win challenges. And, these challenges aren't just beauty contest, either.

"I think that Detroit's population has dropped since 2000 but has started to go up at the slightest increase because of the downtown sprawl."

What downtown sprawl are you talking about?

"I think this is the startings of the "Increase" of population. Even though more people are moving into downtown, more people are moving out of the bad parts of the city. I don't think that level will even off for a few more years, but it is a great pyschological boost for everyone involved in the city."

Are you saying that while the population of downtown is growing, the rest of the city's population is still shrinking faster, and that there is still a net loss of population? I would agree with that.

But you really need to proofread what you write. It takes a lot of work to decipher your writing sometimes. This isn't an essay or anything, but it's so bad that it's really hard to understand, and it makes you look stupid.

I was under the impression that Detroit's population loss was slowing down, but I wasn't sure if it was actually true, so I checked out some numbers.

1,028,000 - 1990

951,000 - 2000 loss of 7,700 per year

918,000 - 2006 loss of 5,000 per year

Pardon my math (it's late), but it looks like the loss actually is slowing down, although 2010 will say for sure.

Edit: opps, the second article said that Detroit actually gained population!! Sorry about anything that doesn't make sense. :blush:

Detroit didn't gain population, the Census Bureau just recounted and found that there are more people than it previously had thought. While the city still is experiencing a net loss in population, the net loss is much lower than the Census Bureau had predicted. The Census Bureau believed that the city had been losing over 13,400 people per year since 2000. The new numbers reflect a more probable loss of about 5,400 people per year.

That means that by 2010 Detroit's population will be hovering around 900,000, a drop of about 5% since 2000. The Census Bureau had previously estimated that the city would have about 820,000 people in 2010, a drop of about 14%. That's almost twice as high as the 7.5% decline experienced between 1990 and 2000.

Well i know years from now if you look at population figures from 2005-2006 it will show that the city grew. Thats not really the case though since the city didnt challenge the 2005 figure or those before it. The city is still losing people but that has been recorded inaccurately up until 2006 where the city challenged the population estimate and won. I think that makes sense...

Archived