"Museum Mile"

krazeeboi

"Museum Mile" is almost precisely a mile-long stretch that features stops at the Children's Museum of the Lowcountry, the Charleston Museum, the Gibbes Museum of Art, the South Carolina Historical Society, the Old Slave Mart Museum, the Washington Light Infantry and more. A coalition of museums and historic sites lining Meeting Street coined the moniker and plan to publicize the project with $100,000 given by Charleston County Council this week. The money will help pay for brochures, bulletin boards, a Web site and other forms of advertising.

I like this idea. It makes sense to market this area as a distinct corridor downtown, and I anticipate seeing the results of the marketing campaign.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

^It's really a list of historically-significant sites along that stretch of Meeting. I guess they are more concentrated in that particular area than in any other area downtown, which is why it's getting the special designation. Otherwise, it's somewhat of a stretch to call the squares that are included "museums."

I also didn't see Gibbes Museum of Art listed. Did I miss it, or is it not on Meeting? I thought it was.

• 5 months later...

Archived