Contemplating moving closer to downtown...

Neo

Ok guys, I need a little help. I own a house just north of Monroe about 22 miles or so from downtown Charlotte. I'm wanting to put a deck in the back of my house and just got a material price list back and it's going to cost me almost $4000 and I'm really considering going against it for the reason that I know I want to end up close if not inside of downtown Charlotte if I intend to stay in this great city, which is more than likely my permanent home given some recent happenings.

Now here's where you come in. I love townhome styles and I'm looking for at least around 1100 sq. ft. of space and at least a couple of bedrooms. To be quite honest my house payment right now for around 1700 sq. ft. is extremely low, we're talking a good bit under $100k (I've paid off some of my principal). I like my house payment because with insurance and taxes included it's just over $700/mo. and would really like to stay around that if at all possible. High-rise living seems to be out of the question as of right now for Charlotte unless you have a crapload of money to throw down on it. If I can't be downtown then I would like to be as close to an LRT stop (I really like South Charlotte area) and would even consider living in or around Ballantyne but no further than that out of Charlotte.

Many of you know about these parts of Charlotte more than I because you actually live in them, so you tell me what the going rate is for your area and sell me on it. PM me if you have something that you don't want public. Thanks so much for your help!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the new type of townhome development going on in Charlotte, and kind of like those new urban centers (so shoot me, LOL). I'm sure there is nothing wrong with 60's type of development but I really could care less for the design and the keepup of them...anything a little more modern in this area?

It may not hurt to check out Latta Pavillion in Dilworth too. It looked like they had some pretty good deals on financing and such. Also, have you considered maybe taking on a mill house in NODA or somthing in Plaza-Midwood. If you get a fixer-upper you will see your property value skyrocket in short time. www.NODA.org has real estate info for NODA. I would check it out.

Much more affordable. Plaza-Midwood is right at the beginning of its rebirth. The city has street scape improvements planned for that neighborhood along with the planned street car. If you go to the city's website you can pull up the Central Ave. corridor PDF and check out some of the renderings for what the city has planned. The city is also changing the zoning in that area to require all developers to build in a pedestrian friendly manner.

One more note on Plaza-Midwood, a lot of developers in NODA are trying to strengthen NODA's ties with Plaza-Midwood through residential corridors between the two neighborhoods. They are building some really affordable townhouses that are located between the two neighborhoods. Plaza-Midwood is a great location since it's close to downtown and located right in between Elizabeth and NODA. A couple of blocks in either direction puts you on 7th street or in NODA. Plaza-Midwood stands to benifit a ton from the development of both of these neighborhoods. One more plus is that Plaza-Midwood has a Harris-Teeter, grocery stores do get harder to find the closer in you get.

Archived