Northern Mississippi

G-townTN

I just found out that the memphis riverkings have changed their name to the mississippi riverkings. The way I see this is that they are trying to seperate themselves from memphis. Does mississippi not realize what memphis has done for them? Their would be nothing in north mississippi if it wasn't for memphis.

I love mississippi, I went to ole miss, most of my friends live around jackson, the delta and the coast, but I think mississippi can be a little misguided at times.

Again I am a little mad about the riverkings name change. One of the reasons I heard someone give of why the name needed to change was because it was in north mississippi. That is an incredibly stupid reason. Have the people in new jersey compained about the new york giants and new york jets? The answer is NO because they realize they live in the new york metro. Why won't people in north mississippi ever realize that? The city will be a lot more progressive if mississippi and tennessee will actually work together.

While I am complaining, do ya'll think mississippi will actually pay for their use of the MED. It is kind of funny that the mississippians use the MED, but the state doesn't want to help support it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does seem a bit strange that they would make this change in their name. Whether or not they are in Mississippi, that area of the state is largely indentified with Memphis and would have profited from not changing the name. I realikze that many Memphians are upset with the change and threatan to take their allegiance elsewhere. In the end, it's only a name, but it may have been a misguided bit of hubris for them to change their name at this time. As you say, progress will not be achieved in the area if the two states are not working in unison.

MED? Please explain.

It does seem a bit strange that they would make this change in their name. Whether or not they are in Mississippi, that area of the state is largely indentified with Memphis and would have profited from not changing the name. I realikze that many Memphians are upset with the change and threatan to take their allegiance elsewhere. In the end, it's only a name, but it may have been a misguided bit of hubris for them to change their name at this time. As you say, progress will not be achieved in the area if the two states are not working in unison.

MED? Please explain.

^

tennreb basically explained it for me. From what I have read and I am sure it is common knowledge the med is in a bit of a financial problem. I guess there are many factors that contribute to this; more people in the city, growing metro population, rising costs of opperating due to gas, insurance, illegal immegrants, and etc. Being the med doesn't turn down anyone, they take a lot of people without insurance.

It is my understanding that these rising costs are not sitting well with the state of tennessee and the city. I think there was a study to determine the percentage of people that come from mississippi and arkansas. This was compared to the percentage each state funds to keep the med running. After reviewing the results it was determined that both mississippi and arkansas need are well under funding compared to their use

Memphis tried to get mississippi and arkansas to step up what they paid recently, but neither state really listened too much. I think mississippi left the amount they funded the med the same and arkansas actually lessened the amount the funded. Don't quote me on this because I might be wrong.

During all this the federal government has been looking in to the med to see if it is actually running correctly. I believe they have put the med under investigation, which is basically because they run in debt.

I am not sure if jackson or little rock have level 5 trauma centers. Therefore, everyone between these cities and memphis are sent to the med for care.

It seems odd that southaven is trying to distance itself from memphis. Like you said tom, north mississippi is largely identified with memphis. The reason many people and companies have moved to desoto county is because of the lower taxes. They haven't moved elsewhere in mississippi because they want the amenities memphis has to offer. I don't think this gives a good impression of memphis when one of the suburbs names it sports team after its state, even though it is really part of another state's city. If anything the riverkings could have mimmiced the new england patriots and renamed themselve the midsouth riverkings.

I think this is a very selfish move by the the city of southaven because you would expect unity rather than solitude.

MED? Please explain.

It seems odd that southaven is trying to distance itself from memphis. Like you said tom, north mississippi is largely identified with memphis. The reason many people and companies have moved to desoto county is because of the lower taxes. They haven't moved elsewhere in mississippi because they want the amenities memphis has to offer. I don't think this gives a good impression of memphis when one of the suburbs names it sports team after its state, even though it is really part of another state's city. If anything the riverkings could have mimmiced the new england patriots and renamed themselve the midsouth riverkings.

I think this is a very selfish move by the the city of southaven because you would expect unity rather than solitude.

I think Southaven and Desoto County blame all their problems on Memphis when they really have themselves to blame. They have allowed uncontrolled development to ruin the place. Huge apartment complexes were constructed, most of which were only built to be nice for a few years and then sold off. Even in Germantown where apartments are 30% higher than Southaven, the people living there generally aren't the most desirable community inhabitants. They have built miles of cheap tract housing that ages poorly. Combine that with a general populace that has to have everything brand new and will move every 5 years to get that, you are going to have undesirables moving in as soon as the first wave leaves. Yes, Southaven is going down the crapter, but it's not Memphis' fault. Brooks Road 30 years ago was exactly like what Southaven is today, and they want to blame Memphis for emulating that. Bartlett isn't a whole lot different than Southaven, but they have been proactive about solving their problems internally instead of blaming Memphis and moving every five years. It's future looks bright while Southaven is the next Frayser.

I don't think southhaven and north mississippi is going to fall apart or turn into a dump in the next 15 years. It is a very interesting time for them right now. They are not used to the type of growth they are experiencing. Granted goodman road is turning into germantown road due to the lack of a good strategic plan to help guide growth, but I am not sure that the city planners will let it get out of hand anymore. I have confidence that they understand the concept that to keep an area desirable there has to be smart growth.

Even if southaven is a little out of control olive branch, hernando, horn lake, and other towns will hopefully learn from its mistakes while they still have time. If the riverbend project is built the way I envision, I suspect the project will encourage upscale growth. I would also not be surprised if olive branch or hornando take ideas from the strategic plans of germantown and collierville as way to encourage intelligent growth.

I am hoping that mississippi sees the growth happening around memphis and they understand that it is part of a region and therefore jackson will see a need in investing in the region. To me this is one of the best things going for mississippi right now. I realize there are a lot of people trying to clean up jackson, but the coast and north mississippi are the bright spots, at the moment.

It would not surprise me if in 20 years the area around memphis is the largest concentration of people in mississippi.

I don't think it matters a bit if the hockey team changes its name to Mississippi from Memphis, though I doubt if it was a good change from a marketing standpoint.

It seems too that regionalism goes both ways--there are other parts of the metro and the region other than the city of Memphis.

I am hoping that mississippi sees the growth happening around memphis and they understand that it is part of a region and therefore jackson will see a need in investing in the region. To me this is one of the best things going for mississippi right now. I realize there are a lot of people trying to clean up jackson, but the coast and north mississippi are the bright spots, at the moment.

It would not surprise me if in 20 years the area around memphis is the largest concentration of people in mississippi.

Don't even get me started on this. I think the white flight that goes in this direction is without a doubt the worst and even the most uneducated of the bunch because they blatantly refuse to acknowledge that they owe anything to Memphis. As many of the people on here have stated, North MS growth would be nothing if it weren't for Memphis and its ammenities. I seriously wonder how this people would feel if they were cut off from using the MED. I guarantee if something like that did happen, then you would start seeing some people embracing the Bluff City. BTW, isn't Memphis technically the largest MSA in MS? Or was that from a while ago?

Don't even get me started on this. I think the white flight that goes in this direction is without a doubt the worst and even the most uneducated of the bunch because they blatantly refuse to acknowledge that they owe anything to Memphis. As many of the people on here have stated, North MS growth would be nothing if it weren't for Memphis and its ammenities. I seriously wonder how this people would feel if they were cut off from using the MED. I guarantee if something like that did happen, then you would start seeing some people embracing the Bluff City. BTW, isn't Memphis technically the largest MSA in MS? Or was that from a while ago?

• 3 weeks later...

While much of what you have pointed out is indisputable, I would caution that your last point is the most valid. History may spoeak for itself, but there appears to be a great unwillingness to alow Mississippi to shed its history as other states have done. Part of this unwillingness is shared by myopic residents of Mississippi who may be perfectly happy to bury their heads in a past clouded by racial tension and bigotry. I prefer to believe that the corner has been turned and that Mississippi has a bright future spreading out before it. If mere racism is what you seek, there are many, many places in which it can be found. I'm hoping that Memphis and North Mississippi can work together to build a region filled with progress and enlightenment. Whatever Falukner said about the past isn't necessarily true anymore. The past must be allowed to be in the past.

I believe it is changing, however slowly the change may be taking place. Places on the Coast may see the change faster, but I do think that significant change has already occurred and will continue to take place. I have lived in many places and have found that racism lurks in most of them- especially in Boston, but certainly also in Washington, D.C. and even in Fort Lauderdale. The issue of the Confederate battle flag's continued presence in the state flag of Mississippi does indicate an unwillingness to change on the part of many Mississippians. I'd like to believe, however, that if the vote were held again today, the results would be different. THere are indeed manifold reasons why Mississippi has been unable to grow in leaps and bounds as it has been surpassed by its neighboring states, but the tide may finally be turning. It is important for Mississippi to belive in the possibility of change. I hope that it will not take another generation before said change is realized.

Additionally~

I have heard far more

anti-Black comments and

observations coming from

mouths of fellow whites

living in Memphis, TN than I

have EVER heard from white

business people and residents

of Nashville.

IMO, that's a big difference.

When I visit Jackson, MS on

business, I still hear freely uttered

anti-Black comments in 'like company'.

What is telling, those anti-Black

comments rarely get challenged

by their listeners. So, it seems

to me that MS and Memphis still

provide tacit approval to overt

and not-so-overt racist thoughts.

That's my experience, but I hope

it changes.

In my travels and first hand knowledge, the rest of TN

labels Memphis (as the largest city in MS) not because

the rest of the State of TN is 'racist' at all.

Seemingly they reject the association with Memphis

not because of Memphis' large black African population

but because of the 'plantation-like' society and atttitudes

that still permeate white Memphis society !

Memphis is sometimes shunned because it is perceived

as being behind the economic, educational, and growth

curve. It is viewed by Nashvillians as being somewhat

less 'progressive' and receptive to change. It is sometimes

regarded as a 'redneck' city, and cities such as Nashville

and Knoxville have demonstrated the desire not to be

associated with such atttitudes that emanated and

flourished in MS, which bled over the geographic and societal line

to Memphis, TN..........[another city that refused to be associated

with such attitudes viz its 'surroundings' was Atlanta, Georgia]

Many other cities in TN don't harbor the same traditional

or backward societal 'thinking' and social structure

that grew out of Memphis' close association with slave and

cotton trade.

Memphis is not very indicative of the rest of the state of

TN.

Huntsville, AL is not indicate of the State of Alabama.

Miami is not indicative of the rest of the State of Florida.

Ocean Springs, MS is dissimilar to Eupora, MS.

Memphis, TN's history, social structure, values, religion,

history of race relations (or lack of them)are far more

tied to being "Mississippi-like", than a Nashville, or perhaps

even Little Rock.

The infection of Mississippi is undeniable.

It is also undeniable that Mississippi has a dubious history.

That is factual, but history is still being written.

TheFed

"The presence of cotton is likewise a shallow argument." ??????????????????

I did not join this forum to argue

or to anger other posters..

I joined to offer an opinion...not

to bash, or cheerlead either.

Anyone however who does not fully

acknowledge the historical and economic

significance of King Cotton, must not have

been paying attention in history class

at the University of Mississippi or the

University of Memphis .

It doesn't matter whether the racism is overt or covert

That's the essential point

I can't speak for overt racsits in Mississippi.

I only know what I hear from whites in Memphis, TN and

Mississippi

I can't speak for my 'good black friends', and

would not pretend to do so concerning the

sort of 'racism' they may prefer...that's sort

of racist in itself.

The fact that racism exists nationwide does

not give Mississippi or Memphis, a 'free pass'.

If anything, given the history, they should work

harder to eradicate the vestiges of it as

opposed to 'explaining it away' as some sort

of 'natural phenomenon' that occurs freely

throughout the entire United States. If that

were the case, slavery would still exist, or would

have existed in many more states than it did.

The fact is that it did NOT, neither did the

past historical attitudes that permeated

MS society as the historical 'norm' of many many

US towns and cities.....thank god.

Being an 'upfornt' racist does not legitimize or

lessen the offense. That should be easy for

most any fair and intelligent person to buy in to.

Additionally~

The point is graphic about the Confederate

Battle Flag at the University of Mississippi :

You state proudly that it was banned a

"decade" ago . This is 2007 in the TWENTY-

FIRST CENTURY.

The sad fact that a "decade ago" was a

mere 10 years, or during 1997. If it took

until the year 1997 to finally remove this

symbol, that is itself demonstrative of a

society that trails most other intelligent

and progressive thought.

What took them so long to wake up ? An

enlightening ? An epiphany ? An act of good

will and common sense ? HARDLY. If they

had meant well, they would have removed

this symbol way before 1997. The logical

conclusion is that they did not mean well at all.

Some still don't apparently. Exxcuses abound.

It's good to know that there is progress in

the 21st Century...in Mississippi.

I hope to witness more-- hopefully it won't

take another generation or ANOTHER decade

to realize it's not 1865 anymore, no matter how

some seem to 'long' for that sort of society in

Mississippi and Memphis, TN.

Before an area can go truly 'forward', it must

actually 'wake up' as many other southern

cities CHOOSE to do...without coercion, without

self-loathing, denial or foot dragging.

Optimism is a good thing.

While valid points have been raised, as noted above, this forum is primarily for the discussion of North Mississippi and, tangentially, its relation to Memphis. A general discussion might be more appropriate elsewhere. As for 'bashing", Mississippi has had all the bashing it needs from the press and from just about the rest of the 50 states. I'll be the first to agree with you that there is much room for improvement in Mississippi, but I believe that it carries an undue burden.

Archived