Hopson Flats & Founders: Lunch and Learn

GRGridGirl

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My place of employment is at the very end of Route 16, at M-6 and Byron Center. Right now I live at the very end of Route 2, at 44th & Breton. (I have an almost 2-hour travel time due to Points A and B being at the ends of lines, but I don't mind that too much. Gives me time to wake up in the morning and time to relax atfer work. =] )

But the nearest active routes I can find are each about 16 Furlongs away.. Route 1 & 8. If I were to use bicycle I'd only extend my travel time further, and I'd rather not. BUT, my sister works security at Rivertown, and I may be able to carpool with her on those days. She lives not too far from where I am.

Hopefully soon I'll be living downtown, and maybe in summer sporting a vespa! Or a bicycle retrofitted with a small motor. Never gonna bother with a car again though. I've wasted nearly a quarter of my life's income on those blasted things.

I'll see you all today at 2:00 pm at Founders @ 235 Grandville Ave SW.

Late-Lunch and Learn Menu:

• Pizza from Bridge Street Pizza

• Sandwiches from San Chez Bistro

• Snacks from Founders

• Cake and cookies from Van's Pastry

Thanks again to our hosts and sponsors!

All buses lead to the ITP Station, which is across the street from Founders. Take the bus if you can.

PARKING: If you cannot find a parking spot at Founders, I suggest parking along the street on Ellsworth or Grandville Ave SW. Give yourself time to find parking.

If you work downtown, I suggest walking to Founders.

~TripleG

My place of employment is at the very end of Route 16, at M-6 and Byron Center. Right now I live at the very end of Route 2, at 44th & Breton. (I have an almost 2-hour travel time due to Points A and B being at the ends of lines, but I don't mind that too much. Gives me time to wake up in the morning and time to relax atfer work. =] )

But the nearest active routes I can find are each about 16 Furlongs away.. Route 1 & 8. If I were to use bicycle I'd only extend my travel time further, and I'd rather not. BUT, my sister works security at Rivertown, and I may be able to carpool with her on those days. She lives not too far from where I am.

Hopefully soon I'll be living downtown, and maybe in summer sporting a vespa! Or a bicycle retrofitted with a small motor. Never gonna bother with a car again though. I've wasted nearly a quarter of my life's income on those blasted things.

You don't need a motor on your bicycle. :) Here's your new route (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...b53dafee16d9529). It's only 8.75 miles ... (131 is a beotch to cross on a bicycle...Be sure to get some warm gloves and a balaclava. <ahttp://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png' alt=':)'> And read www.bicyclesafe.com and www.icebike.com. There, you're all set. What? You don't have a bike. Well, http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/bik/. Get one!

As much as I love biking...

Near 9 miles might not be the best idea for first thing in the morning. =p An afternoon, sure, but not right after waking up. I think my better solution.. one which I'd prefer to do regardless.. is find a place to live downtown. =] (With windows. I don't care if it faces an alley or has a neon sign right outside, just as long as there's a window!)

Also, much thanks to Triple G for putting this together. I was able to make it for the very end, after the tours.

Thanks to everyone that made it to the event. Congratulations to all of the drawing winners too. (Next time I promise to create quiz questions on more known topics... History Nerds Rule!)

A big thank you to Dave Engbers from Founders and John Green from Hopson Flats for their time, hospitality, and for donating tee-shirts for the drawing.

GRCentro, don't forget to thank Schuler Books for donating your $25 gift certificate. Sailor, please thank Literary Life Bookstore & More for donating your $20 gift certificate.

A huge thank you to Josh at grnow.com and San Chez Bistro for helping sponsor the food.

Quiz Questions from the drawing:

Who was the first Mayor of Grand Rapids?

Who are the original

Pics from the tour. (Sometimes this camera takes wonderfully in-focus shots...)

Most of the group

founder1.jpgfounder2.jpg

founder3.jpg

A box

founder4.jpg

Filling (?) machinery (with scary warning signage)

founder5.jpg

Kegs or barrels

founder6.jpg

founder7.jpg

Hopson Flats community room

hopson6.jpg

Overhead

hopson3.jpg

hopson2.jpg

Mural in lobby

hopson7.jpg

Kitchen & shared space in the model unit (4-BR)

hopson9.jpg

View out the model's window

hopson8.jpg

View out the community room window

hopson4.jpg

(I would not find this conducive to studying!)

hopson5.jpg

And a shot of the convenient parking

hopson1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived