A Holiday Challenge To You All

Rhino6885

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frames Unlimited on 28th Street and various other locations - a locally owned business started by a woman and still run by the same family for over 35 years; with an unsurpassed reputation for quality custom framing at every price point. Think further outside the box and consider framing the unique and unusual for your holiday gift-giving. Their frame designers will expertly guide you through the selection process until you have the perfect way to display your treasured object or artwork to keep or to give. http://www.framesunlimited.com/ (And yes, in the interest of full disclosure, I work there!)

Don't forget about Lafontsee/Underground Studio on North Monroe. They're my favorite art gallery in town.

Also the Corner Record Shop on Chicago Dr. - Huge selection of new and used records.

In Rockford there's Jade and Paper Doll - great women's boutique's.

Not actually GR proper but he did say GR metro and they are some fine local stores...

Kregel Christian Bookstore

4014 Chicago Drive SW

Grandville, Michigan 49418

Richard Engel's Jewelry and Clock Shop

4031 Chicago Dr Sw

Grandville, MI 49418

Jurgens & Holtvluwer Menswear

4015 Chicago Dr Sw

Grandville, MI 49418

Curious World Pet Shop

7451 Union Ave

Jenison, MI 49428

Bob's Butcher Block

7647 Riverview Dr

Jenison, MI 49428

Ida's Pastry Shop

7645 Riverview Dr

Jenison, MI 49428

Affordable Nutrition

7493 Cottonwood Drive

Jenison, MI 49428

Pages in Time

7359 Cottonwood Dr. Ste A

Jenison, MI 49428

Village Bike Shop

450-A Baldwin

Jenison, MI 49428

Canterbury Cottage

557 Baldwin St

Jenison, MI 49428

The Outdoorsmen

678 Baldwin Avenue

Jenison, MI 49428

Soccer Loft

1903 Baldwin St

Jenison, MI 49428

Superior Sports

7750 20th Ave

Jenison, MI

Gemmen's Hardware

3488 Kelly St

Hudsonville, MI 49426

Rhino -

Thanks for the list. I completely agree - I know some of the Local First people and respect that they have taken the financial risks to open these businesses. I try to pass my money back to them whenever possible.

I do have to admit, though... I don't like going into one of these places and hearing XM radio playing in the stores. While the bulk of the radio stations here are owned outside of Michigan, they employ staffs that live and spend money right here. Many of the folks are transplants. (I can speak at length about this... ;) )

I'd like to see this thread turn into an "ask and ye shall receive" thread. I'll ask for an item and someone chime in with where I can get the item locally. I want to keep my dollars local, but I'd like the things I want to be easy to find too :)

Here is my first, of probably many more:

I am looking for:

womens, hemp ankle socks.

Sigg water bottles (at a location other than Harvest Health, they have limited quantities/selection).

wooden alphabet blocks

I'd like to see this thread turn into an "ask and ye shall receive" thread. I'll ask for an item and someone chime in with where I can get the item locally. I want to keep my dollars local, but I'd like the things I want to be easy to find too :)

I am looking for:

Sigg water bottles (at a location other than Harvest Health, they have limited quantities/selection).

wooden alphabet blocks

I am looking for:

wooden alphabet blocks

If you have any geeks in the family, there's several stores which come to mind:

* Goldmine Comic & Card: Comics, Cards, Tabletop gaming supplies. (54th & Division, next to Shell)

* GrandLAN: Comics, Card games, Warcraft game cards, tabletop game figures and supplies. (North Division, in the Keeler Building.. between Kendall and the Civic Theater)

* Magnum Opus: Japanese animated films and graphic novels as well as Japanese snacks and American comics and merchandise. (In Eastown on Wealthy, south-side, few buildings west of Sami's.)

* Rider's Hobby Shop: General hobby merchandise covering just about anything for hobbyists. Tabletop gaming, model railroads, models, Remote-controlled vehicles, etc. (East 28th Street.)

* ULX: They are frequently selling copies of the gaming computers they use for their own use as well as the older ones they phase out. They also carry used computers and accessories. (900 West Leonard, in the Five One building.)

* I don't recall the name, but there is a computer shop along 29th Street which sells computer parts and accessories as well as built PCs.

Comprenew is my IT vendor of choice. They recycle used machines (landfill issue) while training area youth on technology (community issue). They'll repair almost anything (with parts to replace those in lots of older machines) and they'll build you up a new system. And they are cheap!

Product includes: laptops, desktops, peripherals, accessories, software, hardware, mousepads.

The store also has corners with used paperbacks, and a "scrapbox" array (TP rolls by the bag). Great for craft projects.

629 Ionia just north of Franklin.

Monday-Thursday 9am - 7pm

Friday-Saturday 9am - 5pm

http://www.wwcs.org/site/PageServer?pagename=cr_home

Archived