A Holiday Challenge To You All

Rhino6885

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, I'm two for two! :thumbsup:

The Candle Experience was great, she has some good sales going on right now as well. Votivo candles buy one get one half price, or 10% off everything else in the store (IRRC). I also was able to pickup the last pairs of ankle socks they had at Clothing Matters. While I was out I stopped at the ever wonderful Art of The Table, wow that place gets really busy.

On my way back to work on Monday, it's off to Bill and Paul's and then Cascade Meijer for bacon salt, stocking stuffers you know.

"Two new CD compilations spotlighting a host of local bands are arriving in stores just in time to stuff stockings for Christmas. ...'

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grpress....xml&coll=6

"The Grand Rapids Compilation Vol. 3...will be sold at Schuler Books and Music, Vertigo Music, Aris' Disc Shop, The Corner Record Shop, Fresh, The Beat Goes On and Barnes & Noble Booksellers. For details, go online to thegrcomp.com."

"Bootleg VII," the seventh annual compilation of national and local artists from WGRD-FM (97.9) hit Meijer stores last week... Five of the 13 tracks on this year's CD are by West Michigan bands ...proceeds from sales of "Bootleg VII" will help Grand Rapids' Cherry Street Health Services provide comprehensive health care to low-income families."

This could be very helpful for my Secret Santa shopping, as my giftee listed rock as his favorite music genre.

Another great way to support the local economy is to support local artists.

The Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts on Sheldon 1 block south of Fulton has their annual Holiday Art Show with over 50 artists this Friday, 11/30, 5-9pm and Saturday, 12/1 10a-5p. I've really loved going to this show the last two years. It's a great space with lots of awesome artists.

And although it's too late for this year, the West Michigan Potter's Guild has two shows each year.

http://www.westmichiganpottersguild.com/Page2.html

Also, next Thurs. December 6th is the Holiday Hop for East Hills and Wealthy Street business districts. East Hills centers around Lake/Diamond/Cherry intersection. Wealthy Street is pretty obvious. Also, I believe that the East Fulton Business district around Fulton and Diamond will be having sales that night as well. I think the artisans from the Sunday Artists Market that takes place at the Farmer's Market area will have a setup somewhere along East Fulton to sell their wares.

"Come join Cherry Street and Wealthy Street on Thursday

December 6th from 4-10 for our annual Holiday Hop!

Our windows will be glowing late into the evening. Our

shops will be filled with the sounds of Holiday

Carolers and the Smells of Holiday treats.

We welcome you to Do your Holiday Shopping,

Ride the Trolley, win prizes, enjoy

promotions and celebrate the season with us!"

This is also a great opportunity to stop by and see the new ICCF building (http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=888235). It's almost prettier at night than during the day.

So, get out there and shop local.

Edit:

Also wanted to mention that local craft/art fairs are good ways to keep your money local. A lot of those people seem to do it as a side income, but many of the products are locally made. I've also found some good photography at some of these shows for really reasonable prices. Just keep an eye on the GRPress/On The Town/Advance/grnow.com to find out about these shows. If anyone knows of a better place to find out about them, I'd be interested to find out. Usually, I hear about them from my mother-in-law. :)

Tired of giving those same old gift cards? How about a gift certificate to a dentist?

After a couple years of searching, I finally ran across a dentist who's competent, friendly, not expensive, does what I want. (Previous DDS: "want tooth-colored or silver filling?" Me: tooth. Procedure done, went to check a mirror. Installed was ... silver. Nope, no relation to Dr Stokes!)

This guy said he does not do silver fillings. Period. He's also efficient and fun. (Didn't get a paraffin wax or a warm blankie, but they did give me a mug, coffee sample, toothbrushes, flosser deal thingies, other stuff.)

And a bunch of cards that offer the first exam/evaluation for free. Then the staff sent a thank-you note (from a dentist?!?) with more freebie cards. Supposedly I get a credit for new customers, but I don't care about that. Service providers this good deserve to have more patients.

PM me if you would like one. Office is near Burton and East Paris.

Where does one go for some local electronics (mp3 player, tv's, appliances, cameras, laptops) besides the ones already given? I think that area is lacking in the list.

Also, I couldn't go back and edit my original post, but here's an updated list with the businesses you have all mentioned:

Women

Archived