Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krazeeboi

Drought in SC

21 posts in this topic

I just recently viewed these maps detailing drought conditions across the US. I didn't realize that the Southern Piedmont, which for us would include the Upstate, was getting hit the hardest in the South.

14555264.jpg

14555291.jpg

Besides encouraging conservation on an individual level, what controls do we have in place to mitigate the effects of drought? I fear this will be one of those incidences when we fail to learn from other areas (i.e., Atlanta and its dwindling water supply).

Has any part of the state used or enforced mandatory water restrictions of any sort?

Northeast Richland County had watering restrictions this summer, but I'm not sure if they are on any restrictions right now.

As far as I know, there are no restrictions in Spartanburg area.

Northeast Richland County had watering restrictions this summer, but I'm not sure if they are on any restrictions right now.

It wasn't so much a matter of supply issues, but delivery issues. The level of the water tanks got lower than expected due to unforseen demand.

Lake Murray is at 352', down roughly 7'. Not quite as low as when it was down for dam construction/repair.

I'm really surprised there are no restrictions when you look at what's going on in neighboring states.

I'm not surprised at all. We have a great system of lakes in this state that are more than adequate for our population. We benefit form gepgraphy and having several major rivers flowing through SC. Other states- especially Georgia, does not have that luxury.

Lake Murray is at 352', down roughly 7'. Not quite as low as when it was down for dam construction/repair.

I'm really surprised there are no restrictions when you look at what's going on in neighboring states.

Its really bad here in Anderson. Its getting hard to remember when the last really good rain was.

Interesting. Greenville ranks 9th (extreme drought), Atlanta 12th, Charlotte 13th, Columbia 22nd (all as severe drought), Augusta 35th, and Charleston 36th (moderate drought). The large metros of Texas all fell under the category of "extremely wet." Wow.

The past few hurricane seasons had storms hitting up Texas and Louisiana's gulf coasts. Without the major storms they would be very dry.

It has been years since the Carolinas were hit with a major hurricane. We are overdue for one. I hate to wish it, but we need a major storm that can come in and rain for days. Next year maybe?

I hate to wish it, but we need a major storm that can come in and rain for days. Next year maybe?

Indeed. It seems like people (or at least the media) think that anytime there is something outside of what the meteorologists call "normal" that its because of global warming.

The lake in our subdivision has dropped about five feet.... enough so that a couple owners on the shallow parts now have a little more acreage then they did before.

Indeed. It seems like people (or at least the media) think that anytime there is something outside of what the meteorologists call "normal" that its because of global warming.

Those numbers are telling, but not entirely relevant. We don't need 20 inches of rain to get out of the drought, we just need to get back into a regular rain cycle again.

As far as I know, the Spartanburg Water System is the first in the state to enact any restrictions on water use. They are still voluntary at this point, but if things don't change it will be stepped up.

Herald-Journal