North End Projects - Camp NorthEnd, Lockwood, Greenville, Double Oaks

dubone

26 minutes ago, hinsp0 said:

The Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA is a great example of reuse of an old munitions factory.  It's waterfront, but something similar in Charlotte as the centerpiece of redeveopment and a reconnected grid would be awesome.  Including some open space around a centerpiece building with a substantial retail component would be an interesting plan.

I'm wary of this comparison. Torpedo factory is multiple floors and compact. 345' x 115'. The smallest building at Hercules is single floor and 800' x 350'. Thats MASSIVE. Its just doesn't seem like great adaptive reuse to me. There are 250' x 1200' buildings in the complex.

4 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Which one is the big blue warehouse?

Whichever one that is I cannot wait for it to leave. It makes it literally feel like a post-war wasteland on that stretch of Graham St.

Very unsettling to the nerves.

Thats building 6. It was expanded to 1200 feet long in 1955 and the corrugated metal exterior was added. Those buildings don't have any ground level windows, only clerestory windows every however many feet. Demolish everything except the Albert Kahn structures please. 

Here is some history on this plant and area. I hope the truly historic parts like the Ford Model T factory are preserved and homage paid to the missile plant too. http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/surveys&rfordplantII.htm

Would not it be great to find and have on display a Charlotte made Ford?  http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/assemblyplantbodynumbers.htm

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'm wary of this comparison. Torpedo factory is multiple floors and compact. 345' x 115'. The smallest building at Hercules is single floor and 800' x 350'. Thats MASSIVE. Its just doesn't seem like great adaptive reuse to me. There are 250' x 1200' buildings in the complex.

Are there any examples of similar scale projects out there? This might be unique in terms of size/scale.

7 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Are there any examples of similar scale projects out there? This might be unique in terms of size/scale.

I've been looking around for a few days. Honestly, I've seen adaptive re-uses for corporate offices at this scale, but most of them have been old Kmarts, which is a completely different animal. 

Attached are some New Camp concepts.

de58493d74bcccd27045ae28b96bcc0c.jpg

c7b41c762714e06e27143b372143d9e2.jpg

a43d5e5165f9eb96f7fea43473014ae7.jpg

53e454c26f5e59775379f89ea9b01e7c.jpg

10 hours ago, asthasr said:

People can do it, but it's very expensive and gets value engineered out.

My understanding of brick craftsmanship around here comes from verbal history mostly, but I read it somewhere also, that, most of the brick buildings from that period were built by children of slaves. Bricklaying had been one trade where African-Americans were free to exploit. Most learned from their parents.

4 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

My understanding of brick craftsmanship around here comes from verbal history mostly, but I read it somewhere also, that, most of the brick buildings from that period were built by children of slaves. Bricklaying had been one trade where African-Americans were free to exploit. Most learned from their parents.

Here is one particularly well known example of that idiom:

http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/surveys&rmeckinvestment.htm

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2017 at 4:44 PM, Windsurfer said:

There's also the economic reality that prior to the advent of modern construction processes, all buildings basically had to be made out of wood and/or brick/stone. When all buildings were essentially being built with brick you had more people with the skills to do the work and therefore more opportunities for cost-effective creativity with brick-laying patterns. 

• 2 weeks later...

Heist Brewery is expanding its reach with a new production facility, bakery and butcher shop in Charlotte's North End.

Plans call for that facility — dubbed Heist Brewery and Barrel Arts — to open in mid- to late summer. That 22,000-square-foot facility sits on a 2.3-acre parcel off of Woodward Avenue.

Roughly 17,000 square feet will serve as the brewing facility, including a 3,200-square-foot taproom. Also planned are a 30-barrel brew house and canning line, patio space and a large beer garden.

ttp://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/02/08/more-beer-butcher-shop-and-bakery-on-tap-for-heist.html

A1EenJb.jpg?1

Edited by Crown
  • Like 4