North End Projects - Camp NorthEnd, Lockwood, Greenville, Double Oaks

dubone

On 4/26/2018 at 11:43 PM, nicholas said:

I just wish Charlotte would finish up some of its other projects that seem to be stuck in no-mans land.  It feels like the Graham St/Mallard Creek Rd extension and the Sugar Creek Blue Line bridge projects have been under construction for as long as I can remember.  :unsure:

Fun fact: Those are both NCDOT projects... but I still agree with you.

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2018 at 9:29 PM, dubone said:

Something clearly went wrong with the Graham/Mallard Creek, but there really haven't been articles on it to explain.   At least it has a new target date a year from now, which hopefully is met.  

Amazingly, I did actually see a couple of workers with a backhoe doing something right near the Graham and Sugar Creek intersection yesterday a little before 11 am.  Should have snapped a picture because it's been so long, lol.  They were gone when I came back a few hours later though.

• Like 1

Well, they have a year and so much looks finished on the Google maps aerial, just missing the intersections.  Hopefully it won't be delayed anymore, because I agree, it's been absurdly long.  At least University City is complete already. 

I also so construction equipment today tearing off some wall openings on Camp North.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/6/2018 at 9:08 AM, carolinaboy said:

I think the NC building code considers a "modular" home to be the same as a stick built.

It is not a building code thing.  Modular have gotten a bad name.  They are built the exact same way as site built homes, i.e. they are stick built.  As I understand it, "manufactured" housing is what generally ends up on wheels.  Modular homes can be far superior in terms of build quality as they are built in a controlled environment and frequently use higher end components because they can buy in bulk and ship materials for 10-20 homes to one site for storage.  Since they build the same units (modules) over and over, they get really good at it.  All this said, there are certainly some cheaper built modular/prefab homes out there.  Prefab also gets a bad name.  While most prefab homes are modular, you can get fully custom prefab homes, but those end up being fairly pricing.

As a side note, I am a bit biased.  I am looking at ripping down a traditional house that my neighbors love to throw a prefab contemporary home.  Here are couple links to  show examples of what is out there:

http://www.re4a.com/prefab/
https://www.turkeldesign.com/

Back to the original question, does "code" allow... Zoning Code is what might restrict its construction here.  City defines these homes thus:

Mobile home.

(Petition No. 2006-94, § 2.201, 09/18/06)

A manufactured structure, designed to be used as a dwelling unit and built before June 15, 1976 (the date the HUD Construction and Safety Standards Act went into effect). A “mobile home” is designed to be transportable in one or more sections on its own chassis and measures at least 32 feet in length and at least eight feet in width. To be classified as a “mobile home”, the unit must be placed on a permanent foundation.

Mobile home park.  

Any site or parcel of land under single ownership where land is rented, and utilities are provided for the installation or placement of mobile homes. 

Modular home. 

(Petition No. 2006-94, § 2.201, 09/18/06)

A dwelling unit which has been constructed and labeled in compliance with the State Building Code and is composed of components substantially assembled in an off-site manufacturing plant and transported to the building site for final assembly on a permanent foundation.  Modular homes meet or exceed the minimum construction and design standards set forth by the State of North Carolina in GS 143-139.1.

On 8/3/2018 at 11:29 PM, Jack Wrangler said:

Does anyone have any onsite as to why code would approve a modular home on Sylvania Ave that looks this. The permit list the address on Sylvania Ave but the home does not face Sylvania Ave.  The only home on Sylvania Ave to not front Sylvania

I think you have some legitimate questions.  Figure out what the property is zoned and then research whether A. Manufactured housing is allowed B. whether the house must have a primary entrance facing a particular direction.

On 6/26/2018 at 2:36 AM, lit said:

Anyone have any news on Mattie's Diner? Last I heard (over a year ago) it was supposed to be moving to Brightwalk. It's mentioned as "coming soon" on the website for CAMP North End too. 

http://camp.nc/our-neighbors/

Looks like the Diner is no longer on their website. I wonder what happened and where will it end up?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2018 at 8:16 AM, Windsurfer said:

Bunches of old rail spurs going through that area. Too bad they couldn't be utilized with the street car once that gets upgraded. At the least, turn the spurs into bike trails. 

Well the Red Line is supposed to use these rail spurs, should it ever happen

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

On my way home today I noticed that this parcel at the corner of Dalton and Graham now has a sign announcing a retail redevelopment. Apologies that the light changed before I could get a photo of the sign. Looks like a standard sort of infill neo-stripcenter thing, but its interesting the gentrification of Lockwood is getting some retail traction. 

image.thumb.png.477ef076eb71f17e0fc77db6753824b8.png

• Like 3