North End Projects - Camp NorthEnd, Lockwood, Greenville, Double Oaks

dubone

I drove all round that neighborhood a month or so ago and it is squarely in the "will they make it?" zone. Some newly renovated homes, a few vacant homes, a vagrant here and a top quality lawn there. From North End to Graham a mix of results. Not quite as far along as Smallwood by JCSU, in my opinion. Urban pioneers needed.

2 hours ago, kermit said:

The Graham-N Tryon wedge continues to be the flourishing edge of gentrification in Charlotte. This building across from Amtrak and adjacent to WSOC was being partially demoed today (circled area). I was just driving by but it looked like the businesses on the Southside of the building will remain. I believe the big warehouse portion at the rear of the property was also scraped.

Also, on the right side of that image, you can see the site work for the "1-way pair" changes as part of the overall N Tryon  corridor upgradesimage.thumb.png.adb14836384b88684fe8ed0a1af2156f.pnghttps://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/NorthTryonBusinessCorridor.aspx

• Like 4

this project is no longer called General Assembly but now called Foundation Supply.

from a Biz Journal about the old walmart they are buying on Arrowood last week came this:

""This is the second acquisition in Charlotte for Artesia, which is amid an overhaul of the former City North Business Center on North Tryon Street. Originally called General Assembly and since rebranded to Foundation Supply, that project will bring 125,000 square feet of office and retail space to the market by the second quarter of 2020.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/07/11/former-walmart-in-south-charlotte-acquired-for.html   Subscriber 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

This is called "General Assembly." They are removing about 75k of the 200k warehouse. In the end it'll be 125k of adaptive reuse. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/01/17/renderings-dramatic-transformation-in-store-for.html

Anything they can do to polish the turd that is N Tryon is a plus. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Also, on the right side of that image, you can see the site work for the "1-way pair" changes as part of the overall N Tryon  corridor upgradesimage.thumb.png.adb14836384b88684fe8ed0a1af2156f.pnghttps://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/NorthTryonBusinessCorridor.aspx

I’ve been meaning to comment on this as I zoom down N. Tryon leaving work and have been very happy to see the progress being made along this stretch. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jasons0013 said:

Anything they can do to polish the turd that is N Tryon is a plus. 

I was in the drive-through of the Bojangles at 28th and Tryon when some kids started throwing rocks at all the cars in line. After that incident, I started going to the other two Bojangles about a mile away.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Segue for senior members: When Hugo struck here in September 1989 the NC National Guard did their duty and were at many intersections since signals were without electricity, as well as delivery of supplies, rescues of disabled and all the rest. They use Gama goats and for many of us civilians this was the first experience seeing these military and off road vehicles. Later there was the military and then civilian Humvee and Hummer but between the military Jeep and Hummvee was the Gama goat.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

There was not sufficient ROW to make that stretch of road safe and aesthetically nicer. This project greatly freed up ROW to add trees (it has none now), bike lanes, wider sidewalks, etc. It won't feel like a wasteland anymore.

...in addition to opening up a dozen additional blocks or so, on Church--with more than half of them literally empty--that will now have exposure to the morning commuters into town, and hopefully encourage their redevelopment.

If there were only some way to forge a connection to the 25th Street station, this area could redevelop as semi-TOD, but the rail yard creates too much of a chasm... 

• Like 1

Older maps confirm the street crossings of the rails were at 12th, 16th, and 36th. The mills were on the East side of the rails and the workers and worker housing and villages were on the East side. I do not know what generalizations can be made about the development and culture was on the West side of the tracks in historic terms. Any insight encouraged here.

1 hour ago, CLTranspo said:

If only we could fund a really long pedestrian bridge over the rail yard. Maybe the Matheson Ave improvements can help with multimodal connectivity to the light rail somewhat. 

Back in the days when TIGER grants were awarded on merit this would have been a perfect project for that program.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With the recent updates to Tryon St between the Amtrak station and Bojangles, plus the upcoming toll lanes on 277 and 77, I wonder what the feasibility is for giving Graham St a road diet between Dalton and Atando.  I think the Graham St corridor has decent potential, despite the bottleneck at 277.  It's just not an attractive road currently. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nicholas said:

With the recent updates to Tryon St between the Amtrak station and Bojangles, plus the upcoming toll lanes on 277 and 77, I wonder what the feasibility is for giving Graham St a road diet between Dalton and Atando.  I think the Graham St corridor has decent potential, despite the bottleneck at 277.  It's just not an attractive road currently. 

I agree, there is huge potential on Graham, but its car sewer status is one of the things holding it back. Running a streetcar spur up Graham to Derita (as part of the road diet) would radically change how land is used in that part of town.

• Like 1