North End Projects - Camp NorthEnd, Lockwood, Greenville, Double Oaks

dubone

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

The Shop at Dalton and N Graham is attracting some tenants.  It looks like Sparx Logisitics and Petty Thieves Brewing are the first named tenants of this redevelopment.

This creative office space trend is really growing. 

https://www.lincolnharris.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/The-Shop-v2.pdf

This looks beautiful 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It was a genuine treat to see two folks riding one horse down Music Factory blvd yesterday. I tried to snap a photo but I fudgeed it up.

What is up with the new, much more visible, concentration of homeless camps around the N Tryon tracks? Is it simply because the police have stopped dispersing them? Is the current concentration more reflective of where they would “choose” to be? (Rather than scattered throughout the Northend)

[this is based on seeing a bunch of tents out in the open on 13th street adjacent the shelter which I think appeared at the start of lockdown and under 277 at the diamond which I first saw yesterday. I am not saying the homeless should be less visible, I am just trying to understand the change in location patterns]

Edited by kermit

39 minutes ago, kermit said:

It was a genuine treat to see two folks riding one horse down Music Factory blvd yesterday. I tried to snap a photo but I fudgeed it up.

What is up with the new, much more visible, concentration of homeless camps around the N Tryon tracks? Is it simply because the police have stopped dispersing them? Is the current concentration more reflective of where they would “choose” to be? (Rather than scattered throughout the Northend)

[this is based on seeing a bunch of tents out in the open on 13th street adjacent the shelter which I think appeared at the start of lockdown and under 277 at the diamond which I first saw yesterday. I am not saying the homeless should be less visible, I am just trying to understand the change in location patterns]

OMG I SAW THEM TOO, Where were you!

https://instagram.com/stories/cltdevelopment/2308142013304173219?igshid=1jyvm9oi9821v

Gave myself a walking tour of Camp North End yesterday

Edited by Guest

One of my favorite competitions, at least in the theory, is Ride and Tie.

From wiki:

"Ride and Tie was founded in 1971 by Bud Johns, who was a public relations director for Levi Strauss & Co.[1][2] Levi's was looking to sponsor a difficult sporting event that would emphasize the company's rough-and-ready image and Johns suggested they invent a sport of running and riding based on historical records.[3] However, ride and tie was historically used as an effective means of travel for two people and one horse. For instance, Henry Fielding mentions the use of ride and tie in his novel Joseph Andrews. Descriptions of riding and tying can also be found in The Life of Samuel Johnson, LL.D., Blue Highways, and in A Narrative of the Life of David Crockett, "...and I was started homeward again, in company with a brother of the first owner of the drove, with one horse between us; having left my brother to come on with the balance of the company. I traveled on with my new comrade about three days' journey; but much to his discredit, as I then thought, and still think, he took care all the time to ride, but never to tie; at last I told him to go ahead, and I would come when I got ready." (Chapter 2). Furthermore, the small town of Noti, Oregon got its name when a Native American discovered that the cowboy he had been ride and tying with had not tied the horse in the town, as they had previously agreed upon. A ride and tie-type race is also depicted in "The Wager" episode of The Waltons."

Two men on one horse over a distance would lead to a horse breaking down and then you had two men walking a lame horse. Ride and tie allowed two men and a horse to cover a distance with the speed of both men moving at his best foot speed, and replenishing himself while on the horse. The horse rests between the riders.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1

@kermit my understanding is that the shelters began limiting services around mid-March because of Covid. I assume that limited services includes limited overnight capacity. So the camp started growing along 13th and now is in the open field that corners 12th and College.

I assume they want to be close to the services at Urban Ministry and the Men’s shelter. Based on the sheer volume of tents I think it has to be caused by limited overnight capacity - not anything else.

The tent camp is an eyesore, for sure. And is getting bigger. The city needs to immediately address the lack of shelter because camps are not very hygienic, and this is a vulnerable population of people when it comes to immune response. Alpha Mill and Morning Star can’t be thrilled.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Urban Cowboy said:

@kermit my understanding is that the shelters began limiting services around mid-March because of Covid. I assume that limited services includes limited overnight capacity. So the camp started growing along 13th and now is in the open field that corners 12th and College.

I assume they want to be close to the services at Urban Ministry and the Men’s shelter. Based on the sheer volume of tents I think it has to be caused by limited overnight capacity - not anything else.

The tent camp is an eyesore, for sure. And is getting bigger. The city needs to immediately address the lack of shelter because camps are not very hygienic, and this is a vulnerable population of people when it comes to immune response. Alpha Mill and Morning Star can’t be thrilled.

That makes sense, thanks for the perspective.

The "new" camps certainly make the homeless population more visible, but while they give the sense that the population has grown, if its just a concentration then it indicates that there are not so many homeless people in town that they would be impossible to house. Surely their are large public health benefits to moving people into dwellings of their own.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

I work with the homeless in Concord but the problem is the same.   Many do not ever want to go into shelters mainly because of rules and those with addictions especially dont want to go in.  The person who I work with that mainly has a mission for the homeless told me that most have addictions of some sort and a lesser amount is truly between homes or can't find affordable housing.  Some of these temporary people do indeed find places but the majority homeless are more so of addiction problems alcohol or drugs.    I have not seen this encampment you speak of but it needs to be broken up in the name of public health.  When you will not let places of worship have indoor services but allow this it is duplicity.   They need to get people into treatment or transitional housing and I agree a city like Charlotte should not have camps like this. Turning a blind eye towards it is not good for public health.    Please support those organizations helping the homeless but don't give them money directly.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

N Graham St / Camp NorthEnd

IMG_20200507_133308.jpg

With the Charlotte Pipe and Foundry leaving Uptown soon, what are the chances the old ADM plant will relocate somewhere else? Seems like such a prime location. 

Likewise, I remember that there were plans to grade separate the rail lines at the junction near the old mill. Are there still plans for this project? I faintly remember that this project was needed for either the Red Line or the Gateway Station. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Third Strike said:

With the Charlotte Pipe and Foundry leaving Uptown soon, what are the chances the old ADM plant will relocate somewhere else? Seems like such a prime location. 

Likewise, I remember that there were plans to grade separate the rail lines at the junction near the old mill. Are there still plans for this project? I faintly remember that this project was needed for either the Red Line or the Gateway Station. 

Everybody would like ADM to move, except it appears, ADM. I honestly think its in the state's best interest to move them to Gaston county, specifically the gap between the NS and P&N tracks anywhere between Gastown and Lowell -- there are still plenty of vacant industrial spaces there.  Given the growth that has occured around them in Uptown  I am totally befuddled by the lack of action on this, but I guess it could be the least attractive redevelopment parcel in Uptown due to tracks, cemetery, 277 and the poor access.

The grade separation project is completely dead. While it was fully funded by the ARRA grant for the Piedmont Improvement Project, both CSX and ADM were obstructionist about short-term and long-term project impacts (ADM was very unhappy about the rebuilt red line tracks running through an area they have been using for truck parking for years without paying for). My limited understanding was that CSX finally threw their hands up and said they would accept more crossing delays at the junction rather than live through the tunneling project. The change in attitude from CSX coincided with them deciding to shut down their Clinchfield route and reduce traffic on the Charlotte subdivision (Seaboard Fellow certainly has better information on this than I do). If CSX ever decides to move their intermodal yard (which has been discussed) then I could see them drop down to one or two trains a day through Charlotte junction.  Back when the press was saying that CSX was trying to sell 80% of their network I thought it was likely the Charlotte sub (along with large chunks of the Clinchfield) would get shortlined. 

The money for the grade separation was quickly spend on cost overruns at Raleigh Union Station (and elsewhere on the ARRA project) and some new crossovers on CSX tracks up near Rocky Mount IIRC.  I believe the end result was that NCDOT gets to run (just about) as many passenger trains through the junction as NS will allow them to and CSX will only shrug. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...