North End Projects - Camp NorthEnd, Lockwood, Greenville, Double Oaks

dubone

9 hours ago, nyxmike said:

Are the train tracks that cut down the middle abandoned? If so, would be cool if they built some sort of "rail trail" to connect Camp North End to Uptown.

The siding that runs along the Raceway / Hercules  (and towards the watertower) is abandoned. 

The photos above were of the tracks which run parallel to Graham. While the tracks are currently unused, they are not abandoned. The tracks are part of the NS O-Line and where the Red Line commuter rail  would have run.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, CLT> said:

It's a proposal to get some milage for a developer that hasn't built a single project.

But that being said, Charlotte needs a lot more 'pie in the sky' thinking to get people to break out of their siloed, tired, and styrofoam covered ideas.

I'm all for pie in the sky concepts and agree this city needs more of them.  Just saying I don't support this one of 220 acres of green space in this location.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, navigator319 said:

Might be in the minority but I don’t support this concept. I for one very happy it’s pie in the sky academic project.

I'd much prefer a plan like this that has a lot more development/housing potential: https://ui.uncc.edu/display/charlotte-urban-designers-propose-mixed-use-village-atop-old-railyard

Anything to replace this old railyard would be amazing though.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

I'm all for pie in the sky concepts and agree this city needs more of them.  Just saying I don't support this one of 220 acres of green space in this location.

220 Acres of Green Space in this location with dense zoning around the edges would be very trans-formative. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

I'd much prefer a plan like this that has a lot more development/housing potential: https://ui.uncc.edu/display/charlotte-urban-designers-propose-mixed-use-village-atop-old-railyard

Anything to replace this old railyard would be amazing though.

Agreed.  This concept something I could/would support.

I  disagree though on your comment of anything would be amazing.  I'd rather keep the rail yard as is for indefinite amount of time instead of forever give it to the other idea 

6 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

Agreed.  This concept something I could/would support.

I  disagree though on your comment of anything would be amazing.  I'd rather keep the rail yard as is for indefinite amount of time instead of forever give it to the other idea 

Living in Villa Heights/NoDa for the last 8 years colors my perspective on it for sure. Particularly a way to better link Brevard and N Tryon would be a big help to the area.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2020 at 7:55 PM, KJHburg said:

I think this is a great idea a huge drive in movie on the huge paved lot on the Statesville Rd side of Camp North End.   Using shipping containers for the side of the screen.   The Charlotte skyline would be in the background behind the stacks of containers.  

Saw this in Houston Biz Journal

""The Houston-based developer partnered with Houston-based Moonstruck to create Moonstruck Drive-In Cinema at East River. Moonstruck itself is a collaboration between Texas-based inflatable movies company Blue Moon Cinemas and Hockley's Showboat Drive-In, the only permanent drive-in cinema in the greater Houston area.  Moonstruck Drive-In Cinema at East River will show movies projected on a 40-foot-by-80-foot structure made of shipping containers. Local food trucks and Historic Fifth Ward and East End establishments will provide food for purchase. Tickets start at $25 per car and will be available later this week at moonstruckdrivein.com.

Both tickets and food purchases will be no-contact, according to a press release. There will be portable restrooms on-site, and attendees are "encouraged to wear masks and practice social distancing protocols," the release states.  Unlike many temporary drive-ins that have popped up amid the Covid-19 pandemic, the East River site will show new releases, starting with Christopher Nolan's "Tenet" as part of a double feature with "Bill and Ted Face the Music" or "Inside Out" Sept. 4-7. The first movies will start at approximately 8:30 p.m., but the entrance at 100 Bringhurst St. opens at 7 p.m.""

anyone else think this would be a great idea have food vendors from Camp Northend and others selling food.

Love the idea.  Perhaps the Camp North End Public Square for events, artisans, festivals, etc.

• Like 2

Here is a photo of drive in with shipping containers in Houston and this is a development site not ready to start just like the huge parking lot at Camp North End is a future development site.  Imagine our skyline in the background and closer.

https://www.chron.com/life/article/A-new-drive-in-movie-theater-is-heading-to-East-15513175.php?ocid=uxbndlbing

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 7:55 PM, KJHburg said:

I think this is a great idea a huge drive in movie on the huge paved lot on the Statesville Rd side of Camp North End.   Using shipping containers for the side of the screen.   The Charlotte skyline would be in the background behind the stacks of containers.  

Saw this in Houston Biz Journal

""The Houston-based developer partnered with Houston-based Moonstruck to create Moonstruck Drive-In Cinema at East River. Moonstruck itself is a collaboration between Texas-based inflatable movies company Blue Moon Cinemas and Hockley's Showboat Drive-In, the only permanent drive-in cinema in the greater Houston area.  Moonstruck Drive-In Cinema at East River will show movies projected on a 40-foot-by-80-foot structure made of shipping containers. Local food trucks and Historic Fifth Ward and East End establishments will provide food for purchase. Tickets start at $25 per car and will be available later this week at moonstruckdrivein.com.

Both tickets and food purchases will be no-contact, according to a press release. There will be portable restrooms on-site, and attendees are "encouraged to wear masks and practice social distancing protocols," the release states.  Unlike many temporary drive-ins that have popped up amid the Covid-19 pandemic, the East River site will show new releases, starting with Christopher Nolan's "Tenet" as part of a double feature with "Bill and Ted Face the Music" or "Inside Out" Sept. 4-7. The first movies will start at approximately 8:30 p.m., but the entrance at 100 Bringhurst St. opens at 7 p.m.""

anyone else think this would be a great idea have food vendors from Camp Northend and others selling food.

To my understanding, Oaklawn is in the process of being extended to go through the intersection with Statesville and into that main parking lot. I have a good friend who is overseeing some of the road work all throughout CNE as well as North Graham and Statesville coming out of the city. All roads are getting updated, North Graham and statesville will get similar work to what North Tryon is seeing now.

Im sure your idea is to some degree temporary but I have a feeling that large parking lot is going to see a lot of changes in the coming months/year. I currently live in some of the newer townhomes in Brightwalk that are closest to CNE.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

To my understanding, Oaklawn is in the process of being extended to go through the intersection with Statesville and into that main parking lot. I have a good friend who is overseeing some of the road work all throughout CNE as well as North Graham and Statesville coming out of the city. All roads are getting updated, North Graham and statesville will get similar work to what North Tryon is seeing now.

Im sure your idea is to some degree temporary but I have a feeling that large parking lot is going to see a lot of changes in the coming months/year. I currently live in some of the newer townhomes in Brightwalk that are closest to CNE.

Boy, would I like to bend his ear over that 1/4 mile section on Statesville that's had a "diet" for the bikes.  

On 9/1/2020 at 9:38 AM, tarhoosier said:

Welcome to the forum Rickybobby and join the fray!

Thank you Tarhoosier! Been lurking for a good bit but finally had something to add. So much great information here.

On 9/1/2020 at 9:52 AM, Windsurfer said:

Boy, would I like to bend his ear over that 1/4 mile section on Statesville that's had a "diet" for the bikes.  

I believe the more of Statesville will be like that in the long term. Not sure if it will be down to one road the whole way through but better sidewalks, bike lanes and medians are what he described to me as in the plan for both Statesveill and North Graham, just not sure how far up those roads it will go. Next time I see him I will see what further information I can get.

• Like 2