North End Projects - Camp NorthEnd, Lockwood, Greenville, Double Oaks

dubone

On 9/1/2020 at 10:21 AM, KJHburg said:

Yes my idea is a temporary solution as movie theaters are still closed and that spot is perfect for a drive in.  it could be set up in days.

When was the last time you drove by? That area is already under construction to some degree. All the exterior fencing is down, trees are being removed by the roads and the work to expand the Oaklawn/Statesville intersection is already underway.

There is a lot of space in the parking lot on the North Graham side too though.

4 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

Thank you Tarhoosier! Been lurking for a good bit but finally had something to add. So much great information here.

I believe the more of Statesville will be like that in the long term. Not sure if it will be down to one road the whole way through but better sidewalks, bike lanes and medians are what he described to me as in the plan for both Statesveill and North Graham, just not sure how far up those roads it will go. Next time I see him I will see what further information I can get.

I have a business on Statesville Ave.  Watching Statesville Ave all day, I can probably  count the bicyclists on one hand I see riding. On the other hand, I see tons of delivery trucks, buses and of course commuters opting out of I-77.  It just seems so selfish to me for bikes to claim the only north-south alternative to I-77.   You can't imagine what it's like when there's an accident on 77.

Tell your buddy to at least draw in turn out lanes for the buses so that when they stop to pick up passengers, lines don't form 1/4 mile behind them. Sometimes, when the the buses are ahead of their schedules, the drivers will actually stall at the stops waiting for the clock to catch up.  All kinds of folks are trying to jump the traffic island in the middle of Statesville trying to get around them.

Thumbs down from me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

I have a business on Statesville Ave.  Watching Statesville Ave all day, I can probably  count the bicyclists on one hand I see riding. On the other hand, I see tons of delivery trucks, buses and of course commuters opting out of I-77.  It just seems so selfish to me for bikes to claim the only north-south alternative to I-77.   You can't imagine what it's like when there's an accident on 77.

Tell your buddy to at least draw in turn out lanes for the buses so that when they stop to pick up passengers, lines don't form 1/4 mile behind them. Sometimes, when the the buses are ahead of their schedules, the drivers will actually stall at the stops waiting for the clock to catch up.  All kinds of folks are trying to jump the traffic island in the middle of Statesville trying to get around them.

Thumbs down from me.

I dont think he is at the level to suggest any type of change unfortunately. Just overseeing the day to day operations.

Mind sharing what business you own? Always trying to keep my money spent as local as possible!

I do understand your frustration with taking a lane from a major north-south corridor. I am one of the bike riders you probably do see from time to time though and protected bike access into the city and in the direction of NoDa would go a long way for keeping my car parked a lot more. The bike lanes as is are a disaster anyways due to lack of funding from the NCDOT to be able to clean them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

When was the last time you drove by? That area is already under construction to some degree. All the exterior fencing is down, trees are being removed by the roads and the work to expand the Oaklawn/Statesville intersection is already underway.

There is a lot of space in the parking lot on the North Graham side too though.

within a week and I drove through that huge parking lot of statesville road and did not see any of that.  Maybe we are not talking about the same places. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

within a week and I drove through that huge parking lot of statesville road and did not see any of that.  Maybe we are not talking about the same places. 

Fairly certain we are talking about the same area. Just rode my bike up and took this picture. Certainly still a lot of parking lot space open just think it would be a stretch for a drive in movie theater. 

IMG_20200902_140317.jpg

Edited by Rickybobby
Added words
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

Fairly certain we are talking about the same area. Just rode my bike up and took this picture. Certainly still a lot of parking lot space open just think it would be a stretch for a drive in movie theater. 

thats the area and I am talking about the huge parking area to left and again just a temporary thing.  eventually they plan to build on it but I think it is a few years off.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

I dont think he is at the level to suggest any type of change unfortunately. Just overseeing the day to day operations.

Mind sharing what business you own? Always trying to keep my money spent as local as possible!

I do understand your frustration with taking a lane from a major north-south corridor. I am one of the bike riders you probably do see from time to time though and protected bike access into the city and in the direction of NoDa would go a long way for keeping my car parked a lot more. The bike lanes as is are a disaster anyways due to lack of funding from the NCDOT to be able to clean them.

Except that Statesville Ave.  doesn't really help you between NoDa and and anywhere, does it?   

My business is across the street from CarQuest and The Pilot Station. We're wholesale only so, while I appreciate your offer to patronize, we don't sell retail.  I'm like you though, I definitely buy local when I can.  We have about 8 acres there.  Regards and thanks for your nice reply.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

Except that Statesville Ave.  doesn't really help you between NoDa and and anywhere, does it?   

My business is across the street from CarQuest and The Pilot Station. We're wholesale only so, while I appreciate your offer to patronize, we don't sell retail.  I'm like you though, I definitely buy local when I can.  We have about 8 acres there.  Regards and thanks for your nice reply.

Right now unless I am going into the the city then I really only cross over Statesville. I can access Nevin rd from Brightwalk neighborhood side streets and that gets me to NoDa but those streets are very narrow with bad sidewalks. I would be fine with any type of trail or lane from the city out to just CNE and then something going more east-west that would have easier access to the lightrail/railtrail. 

Im not specifically advocating for a road diet, I just think we need better non-vehicle infrastructure on this end of town. Hope business is going well for you!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 2:31 PM, KJHburg said:

thats the area and I am talking about the huge parking area to left and again just a temporary thing.  eventually they plan to build on it but I think it is a few years off.  

Hey @KJHburg it looks like something very similar to what you hoped for is starting this thursday! They are doing movies outdoors for the next couple weeks. Two different movies at 7 and then 9! At 400  Camp Rd which I believe is the old Ford Building or what they call Raceway?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rickybobby said:

Hey @KJHburg it looks like something very similar to what you hoped for is starting this thursday! They are doing movies outdoors for the next couple weeks. Two different movies at 7 and then 9! At 400  Camp Rd which I believe is the old Ford Building or what they call Raceway?

great and I am telling influential people read this site.  they have so much undeveloped paved land that is perfect for it.  Great news! 

• Like 2

Stopped by Petty Thieves brewery last night. Very impressed. They did a great job with the interior, adding a bunch of old looking woodwork and a bit of a gothic feel to the décor.  I had their nitro porter, lower on the end of ABV but it was a great beer.

The view off the patio is one of the best for breweries in town if you ask me!

• Like 2

Not to derail from Camp North End, but I drove down Atando towards Tryon/36th the other day. You can see straight into Noda proper, I’m a native and didn’t realize the proximity. Atando has some neat industrial buildings still in use and a several beautiful trees. Does anyone else see this becoming the next thrift rd? Here is a shot looking toward Tryon.

65AD6AEA-929A-4E01-9891-8BEB757FA35B.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CLTNative said:

Not to derail from Camp North End, but I drove down Atando towards Tryon/36th the other day. You can see straight into Noda proper, I’m a native and didn’t realize the proximity. Atando has some neat industrial buildings still in use and a several beautiful trees. Does anyone else see this becoming the next thrift rd? Here is a shot looking toward Tryon.

I don't see why not, and I think the city's plan to bypass Atando with a direct connection to 36th would allow Atando to be a nice secondary street for smaller or medium-sized business, breweries, etc., like Thrift.

Since the NW extension of 36th will connect back to Atando at/through the Ware Ave fragment, there will be an entire area of more than two dozen blocks (if you count those on the south side of Atando) that currently host light industrial and transportation purposes like Thrift (and South End as well) did, that can (and will) relocate when the price is right. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Camp North End has updated or revealed their master plan that shows several apartment complexes and one building that looks like a midrise office.

https://www.camp.nc/office-leasing

and they won an award for the renovation of Gamma Goat building

https://www.camp.nc/posts/enr-southeast-announces-2020-best-projects-award-winners

and their huge single floor office spaces should be attractive to users read this NY Times article  not heard the term groundscaper or sidescrapers before but Camp North End has these! 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/10/14/companies-stay-low-to-the-ground.html

5f207b3d5782498530ab35ad_CNE_Looking-Northwest_FullBuildOut-R.png

What are the dark blue buildings to the far left and far right? Future proposed office? 

• Like 1