North End Projects - Camp NorthEnd, Lockwood, Greenville, Double Oaks

dubone

^Great to hear...wonder what they can do with this stretch  from the music factory all they way towards crave, those sidewalks are so close to the road and i feel like those lanes are smaller too.  If you're driving, you can't even pass a CATS bus in the other lane...or even worse, the CATS bus coming from the other direction is hanging way over the double yellow lines.  There's just not that much room to expand on either side though.

111111.thumb.png.1228d69ea7f257eeae664f6b5acca811.png

• Like 3

Yea I have traveled that stretch of Graham for most of my adult life and it is awful. You would have to imagine with what is coming for the Gateway station, light rail and the general growth that this road has got to see an update sometime in the near future. I also wonder how much longer all those old apartments and condos along Graham between like 8th and 5th can last? Many look like they are in considerable disrepair. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

New townhome community coming close to Camp Northend from the Biz Journal and new affordable apartment complex coming to N Tryon near Sugar Creek.  Both these rezonings were approved. 

""Hopper Communities' petition to allow up to 69 townhouses in the Tryon Hills neighborhood on North Graham Street, north of its intersection with 24th Street, near the Camp North End development. Part of the 3.1-acre site today includes an auto repair shop. A network of private streets will be built as part of the development.
The NRP Group's petition to allow up to 200 affordable-housing units at West Sugar Creek Road and Penny Way. All apartments will be affordable to households earning 60% of the area median income for the next 15 years. ""

Rezoning petitions by Levine Properties, Lincoln Harris get green light - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

This is exciting! Great views right down North Tryon by that side of CampNorthEnd. Curry Gate the little Indian Restaurant on that corner is excellent. Would love to see someone develop that Wayne's super market lot.

12 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

Would love to see someone develop that Wayne's super market lot.

You want to remove the only grocery store in the area? Help me understand why. 

I know Wayne’s isn’t hip like Camp North End, and it’s a vestige of the character and community these neighborhoods used to have...

But I don’t consider demolishing a grocery store progress. Especially one that serves segments of our lower-income populations who are reliant on affordable and close-proximity food options. Ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Urban Cowboy said:

I know Wayne’s isn’t hip like Camp North End, and it’s a vestige of the character and community these neighborhoods used to have...

But I don’t consider demolishing a grocery store progress. Especially one that serves segments of our lower-income populations who are reliant on affordable and close-proximity food options. Ridiculous.

I thought he was simply referring to adding other uses to that property, given it currently is a sprawling sea of blacktop for parking and the lot hardly has any sidewalks on its perimeter for pedestrian access.  I've been to that area multiple times and thought the property seemed prime for "densification."  In addition, a development project that modernizes and strengthens the current structures isn't necessarily incompatible with keeping that grocer or any kind of grocer.

Edited by Robbie Charlotte
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Urban Cowboy said:

I would LOVE for another grocery store to be a part of that development. I live in this area and also suffer from the lack of a decent grocery store. I can honestly say I have never been in Wayne's but would imagine it leaves a lot to be desired when compared to a modern store. The 4th ward Harris Teeter is lacking a lot itself. I typically go to the monster HT over on South Blvd.

3 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

I would LOVE for another grocery store to be a part of that development. I live in this area and also suffer from the lack of a decent grocery store. I can honestly say I have never been in Wayne's but would imagine it leaves a lot to be desired when compared to a modern store. The 4th ward Harris Teeter is lacking a lot itself. I typically go to the monster HT over on South Blvd.

I've been inside of it, and the only "vestiges" I've observed are old age and decrepitude.  Is that the trade-off, suppress any sort of aesthetic sensibility or live in a food desert?

23 hours ago, KJHburg said:

New townhome community coming close to Camp Northend from the Biz Journal and new affordable apartment complex coming to N Tryon near Sugar Creek.  Both these rezonings were approved. 

""Hopper Communities' petition to allow up to 69 townhouses in the Tryon Hills neighborhood on North Graham Street, north of its intersection with 24th Street, near the Camp North End development. Part of the 3.1-acre site today includes an auto repair shop. A network of private streets will be built as part of the development.
The NRP Group's petition to allow up to 200 affordable-housing units at West Sugar Creek Road and Penny Way. All apartments will be affordable to households earning 60% of the area median income for the next 15 years. ""

Rezoning petitions by Levine Properties, Lincoln Harris get green light - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

I just hope and pray that part of those private streets included in the townhouse development on 24th includes the extension of Bancroft to 24th. To me it's a NO BRAINER, and I will be sorely disappointed in the city if it's not mandated.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Third Strike said:

in front of Channel 9?   wow it is an inbound to uptown location but I must say it is strange location for one. 

• Like 3

On 8/24/2021 at 9:16 PM, KJHburg said:
On 8/24/2021 at 7:54 PM, Third Strike said:

in front of Channel 9?   wow it is an inbound to uptown location but I must say it is strange location for one. 

Yeah, this is going to stick out a bit in the surrounding area. Wonderful to see the investment though.

• Like 2