North End Projects - Camp NorthEnd, Lockwood, Greenville, Double Oaks

dubone

The great thing about this is that it's directly across the street from Camp North End, so the leasing company can attract advertise for businesses that could have a crossover appeal from just servicing local residents. It could, if executed properly, create a wonderful sense of (old fashioned) place at a major intersection, since this is plotted at the corner of Statesville and Oaklawn. 

I also love the fact that this is going to take the extension of Sylvania Avenue and curve it up to Oaklawn, which of course will be their second intersection, since Oaklawn is being extended across Statesville to curve south and actually terminate on Sylvania's extension. 

Here's an idea: Wouldn't Camp North End itself be a fantastic place for a grocery store? I mean, those warehouse buildings (although I know a lot are slated for demolition) are, like, almost built to house something like a modern grocery store. I actually think a *lot* of employees of firms at Camp North End--heck, even revelers on weekends and evenings--would appreciate having a grocery store so handy, before going home. It would have the added benefit of drawing the local community over to Camp North End as well.

• Like 3

Has anyone been in Waynes Foods on Graham? They used to have another store on West at Remount quite a while ago. I note that google recommendations for Waynes are rather good, better than I expected, which says I am a bit prejudiced based on age and neighborhood. I take every opportunity to learn.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 5:06 PM, tarhoosier said:

Has anyone been in Waynes Foods on Graham? They used to have another store on West at Remount quite a while ago. I note that google recommendations for Waynes are rather good, better than I expected, which says I am a bit prejudiced based on age and neighborhood. I take every opportunity to learn.

Yeah, it's mostly just small.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the photos KJHburg.  I was able to get inside several of the buildings prior to their renovation, so seeing the transformation was pretty neat.  The original wood ceilings look fantastic and I think someone pointed out the mezzanine levels inside would make great co-working spaces.  I certainly hope the office market rebounds a bit so those spaces are fully leased.

It was disheartening to hear of the issues with Charlotte Mecklenburg code enforcement.  Sounds as if it's easier to demolish a structure in this city than it is to rehab.  Very unfortunate and definitely makes you wonder if that's why so many buildings are just torn down instead of preserved.  Almost seems like folks are being punished for putting in the time and effort to protect a building.  I'm glad this place is getting new life and know that it's in good hands.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, abttown said:

Thanks for the photos KJHburg.  I was able to get inside several of the buildings prior to their renovation, so seeing the transformation was pretty neat.  The original wood ceilings look fantastic and I think someone pointed out the mezzanine levels inside would make great co-working spaces.  I certainly hope the office market rebounds a bit so those spaces are fully leased.

It was disheartening to hear of the issues with Charlotte Mecklenburg code enforcement.  Sounds as if it's easier to demolish a structure in this city than it is to rehab.  Very unfortunate and definitely makes you wonder if that's why so many buildings are just torn down instead of preserved.  Almost seems like folks are being punished for putting in the time and effort to protect a building.  I'm glad this place is getting new life and know that it's in good hands.

Our shadow government makes life difficult for adaptive reuse and rehabs? 

City Manager, County Manager and their executive teams (shadow government) who wield the real power, while being answerable to part-time, partly-interested, hardly-paid, high-level oversight Boards.  

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 1:05 PM, KJHburg said:

Rendering of new residential development with an affordable component from Joe Bruno on Twitter

""A look at the townhome project Charlotte City Council will vote on tonight. They will be built across from Camp North End. About 92 units (10% affordable). There's a retail component as well and the developer (Drakeford) says it will not be low end retail (i.e. dollar stores etc)""  Joe Bruno reports

Dirt is finally moving on this project. Maybe someone can get a pic next time they're in the area?

I've been looking forward to this site being developed. There's so much going on in Charlotte it's hard to keep up with the developments.

Edited by NCMike1990
  • Like 3

On 9/17/2022 at 4:10 PM, NCMike1990 said:

Dirt is finally moving on this project. Maybe someone can get a pic next time they're in the area?

I've been looking forward to this site being developed. There's so much going on in Charlotte it's hard to keep up with the developments.

Be glad to snap a pic as I pass it daily. Not really much to be seen yet though. As you stated, just a little dirt has been moved around.

• Like 1