North End Projects - Camp NorthEnd, Lockwood, Greenville, Double Oaks

dubone

^ Something seems odd about what you just described. 

1) Homebuilder bids on property

2) Slumlord outbids

3) House becomes rental

4) Rents are extremely low

Either the neighborhood slumlord(s) are incomptent business owners, the slumlord(s) are purposely overpaying to inflate the value of their other properties, or there should be some healthy skepticism around what you described as the actual dynamics.

Hey everyone,

So I've been reading this whole thread all the way back to 2007. I recently moved to Lockwood almost a year ago and I have to say... it is not gentrifying. I understand the history here and though it was once wayyyy worse off than it is today, it still has leaps and bounds to go. As a homeowner I must say that yes gentrification has pros and cons however, with the crime the way it is and the homes in the state their in... most new homeowners moving here are looking for ways to improve the neighborhood.

Our problem is that we are about 80% rentals and 20% homeowners and those that are renting pay extremely low in rent and most have absentee landlords. Thus resulting in the neighborhood looking scummy and as though people do not care for what they have. Its depressing. Another issue we have is that there are people living here that claim they help the neighborhood and want increase homeowners etc. but own 10+ rental homes in the neighborhood. Odd right? I am all for the revitalization on Graham and Tryon to take hold and pray to god that it does. My fear though is that by the time that happens.... all these homes will be rentals. Can anyone speak to their past experiences in these transitioning neighborhood with the issue of rental/homeowner and the mind shift of those that have lived here/rent here etc. that needs to happen. I'm not talking about the seniors either because most of them want to see the neighborhood thrive again like it once did back in the 50's and 60's before drugs, prostitution etc. took place.

These things are still happening here as they do in any transitioning neighborhood but my question is... will any of these companies, landlords/slumlords sell off these homes as the taxes increase? With the new annex taxes just north of 277 we know its coming but I am just trying to get my mind around the truth of what is happening.

There are builders and contractors out there that have been bidding on homes in the neighborhood and people that live here have outbid them to stop transition! Then, they rent the house! Its infuriating.. and this is why we have mixed messages and a divided neighborhood. I was sad to read that people think Lockwood is 'gentrifying'. Truly, I've seen people personally try to stop this from happening... but then will attend neighborhood meetings and say that they're for change and homeowners. Its crap!

Anyone have any insight or thoughts on this stuff?! We want Lockwood to still be a diverse neighborhood but want renovations to take place, homeownership and pride to increase, and to thrive like the other transitioning neighborhoods!

I know it is a complicated issue, compounded by the fact that rental is the only option for a large percentage of the population now, and a lot of investment money is going into owning property that can be cash flow rental properties like that.

Lockwood seems to be getting all bought by the MV Tryon LLC in massive blocks.  I'm not sure how much I understand about that, but it seems like Marsh in Sedgefield where they will sit on the property and rent it out for a long time until such a time as they can redevelop it in one fell swoop.

• Like 1

Yes, what Jack Wrangler said is true.

It is sad because the homeowners are the only ones that do take pride in the neighborhood. If you drive down the streets of Lockwood you can easily pick out which ones have live in homeowners and which are rented. The slumlord(s) that live in the neighborhood that are buying and renting are clearly doing so to benefit their own financial gain. The officer(s) appointed to the neighborhood that have worked in this neighborhood for the last 10-15years have even told me personally, that this schematic, rental issue is a HUGE contributor to why Lockwood isn't improving much. They said in their past experience, the way to improve a neighborhood like ours is redevelopment and homeowners.

We have 'HOA' meetings which stand for HOMEOWNERS Association and NONE of the homeowners needs, concerns or questions are being resolved or handled. Its clear that 'the leader' is against transition and change and is running this neighborhood as a business but creating enough buffer/margin to tell everyone they come in contact with that they're 'for increased homeowners, getting to know your neighbors and transitioning our neighborhood to become a community'.

None of its true because if it were then these topics would be handled. I don't believe that one person can make or break a neighborhood. I do believe that if the homeowners stick together and reach out to the other neighborhoods that have been in this situation, city officials, land/development dept., forums/chats... and show that its a cry for help then maybe that will prove that the mere 20% of us are trying to take this on ourselves and make a difference.

I've brought in contractors personally and they've been outbid so though I'm passionate and have been working hard etc., it is very discouraging. I can say that its not all about financial gain. Its about a safe neighborhood, that looks nice to those who may be interested in moving here, having the average house price being stable and decent enough to encourage builders/contractors to come in and flip and to ultimately create a nice community just north of uptown that people WANT to live in. Just like how NoDa/P.Midwood is now (not what it once was, there is a trend here)... now SO desirable yet still diverse and mixed between rentals/homeowners. It can be done.

Its just what can we do!? Expose reality I suppose? Let people know the truth of the matter seeing that we live there. And I must add that no one buys a home in hopes to not financially gain something. No one wants to loose money. I'd love to take out a home equity loan someday to actually add value and space to my own home but the neighborhood avg. wouldn't support such an investment. Sad. Lockwood needs to be gone through with a fine toothed comb and the city, developers, close by neighborhoods need to know what is really going on and find ways to help!

Any further information, advice etc. would be great.

Why not start a parallel Neighborhood Organization.  You have the right to assemble.  There is no law that give some entity kingship over an area.  Make a facebook page today.  Invite your neighborhoods.  Plan an activity to build your community and get to know your renter neighbors.

I am a HOA president. I can't enter into any contracts without the consensus  of the board.  Board members are volunteers and have a say-so. Any decisions that this guy makes is either blessed by the other members, or he is liable for a law suit for violating state regulations governing the operations of HOAs. Furthermore, I can't change or make amendments without a majority of homeowners approving. As "northmeetssouth" mentioned, it takes homeowners getting involved to resolve issues. The HOA president has no authority on his/her own to make decisions for the homeowners. Bottom line, go to meetings and get homeowners involved. If the HOA president is pulling off closed door deals without a quorum vote from members and it concerns the overall welfare of your community, he  can be in serious trouble.  Sounds like it may be time to review the covenants written for your HOA and have things updated where appropriate.  You pay HOA dues, you have a voice.

Thank god, my wife and I are resigning from our HOA after being involved for 8 years and doing 99 percent of all of the work.

Edited by caterpillar2

I'm pretty sure it is fact of life that all HOAs bring out insanity and drama.   People power-trip, act in their self-interest, are usually left to their devices with a silent majority unaware of their actions.   

My late grandmother's place in Florida has people that constantly make up terrible rules like attempting to ban all renting, all house guests, all pets, etc.   They also spent some $50,000 redoing the lobby and all it got was some new furniture, no actual improvements.    People make life-long enemies in HOAs I think.  

In First Ward neighborhood association, it had quite a contentious atmosphere between people in new development and those who miss the good ole days.   Where someone would present some development and key crazy people would stand up and call them liars or scream "I AM OFFANDED".   

I'm pretty sure that there are no "no-volunteer" HOA board members.  HOAs only go over the hill and become crazy when home owners don't get involved and voice their oppositions, etc.  My main goal is simply to keep the home values up and the neighborhood a nice, peaceful, place.  Sometimes, HOAs have to get tough when the demographics change and people move in that don't respect others. A HOA shouldn't be a bad thing.  I hope that my HOA never reaches the point  where someone "stands up and calls someone a liar and screams, "I am offended."  Fortunately, we are all educated and business people that are civil. We accept grievances and have special hearings if necessary. Fortunately again, the HOA has gained respect and runs smoothly. I hope that people will become involved in yours and get things worked out.

These are great posts. 

So Lockwood doesnt pay HOA dues we are technically a Neighborhood Association. Only a select few homeowners are trying to get involved for change.. and I mean a select few. Myself and my fiance as well as another couple have paired up to do research etc. to see what we can personally do and to start our own association. As homeowners, our concerns are not being handled ,and they are valid concerns. The president wants to keep the home values low to 'protect the seniors' and so they can keep all 10+ of their rentals with tenants in there. The all pay between $550-$1000 in rent and the homes on the exterior look like crap. This is because if the overall average home price is low, and most of the people are renters, upkeep isn't a priority. I hate to say it but the mind set of most residents is that its a 'low income' community and think the homeowners are only here to make a buck. Obviously us homeowners disagree and mainly want it to be a safe and thriving neighborhood that has more homeowners than renters! We want home values to increase as any invested homeowner would because no one is out to loose money. Some of the things being said is just insanity.

What would you suggest be a plan of action if we create another association? The homeowners that are older and have been here for a while don't want to be involved and then the rest are renters. We've researched every home in the neighborhood on property look up to see which are renters, homeowner, absentee landlords, property management companies, etc. We wanted to write a small publication to the property management companies to see if they have interest in selling to contractors OR investing at least $10,000 per property for landscaping, new roofs, power wash, gutter cleaning/repair etc. Its impossible to call code on all. We are also going to have random home inspection petitions submitted to the city each quarter in hopes they'll find things to fine the landlord. We don't know what else to do. Its tough when the own neighborhood president  isn't listening to the homeowners AND the ones that are contributing and trying don't trust him for a minute. The other couple and us are actually meeting with the city next week to discuss these concerns... we feel though that the president has already weasled his way into these peoples heads and even the city people we're talking to may be against change... who knows.  :ermm:

To us this is SO important that we find our voice and find ways to change this place. If the president wont then we will.. its just how is the question. If you're stepping down you should run for Lockwood!! Or come to our next meeting as a sit in guest to gage the happenings! Monday Nov 17th.

If you'd like to email me on this my email let me know! Thanks!

I'd recommend talking to Hollis Nixon, president of the NoDa Business and Neighborhood Association. She's been on that board for nearly a decade and can probably speak a lot to the ins and outs of that kind of group. In NoDa's case, it is a 501c3, but if you're not planning to collect dues or anything I don't think that's necessary. Anyway, I've found Hollis very approachable - you can find her at [email protected].

• Like 1

If you start a neighborhood organization, you have to be willing to let majority rule, and be willing to include your renting neighbors.  If you go at it with a single mind-set you will end up just as dictatorial as the person you have a disagreement with.  You need to start by building "community" and getting to know and respect your neighbors - both homeowners and renters.  If your goal is to LIVE there and not simply invest there, this will be step one.  If eventually property upkeep follows then great.  If not at least you've gotten to know your neighbors.

Create a neighborhood event.

• 2 months later...

The huge Rite-Aid distribution warehouse on Statesville across from Oaklawn (its the old WWII bomb factory) will close down by 2016 as Rite Aid consolidates several southeastern distribution facilities into a larger facility either in the Charlotte area, or northern Georgia.

Either way, this massive factory/warehouse will be vacant very soon, so it's a good opportunity to redevelop, or possibly repurpose the space.  Mount Vernon Asset Managment already owns the site, and they are the largest land-owner and member on the North End vision plans discussed above.

^ EDIT - I was wrong on ownership.  MVAM owns the Herculeus Industrial Park next door, which is the more attractive complex.  Rite-Aid still owns their warehouse, but I assume MVAM would be intersted in purchasing it since it's 38+ acres adjacent to their Hurculeus site.  That could be a serious development!

Rite Aid is moving ahead with closing their distribution center, and relocating to Spartanburg. I seriously can't wait to see what kind of development can come out of these parcels.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/01/28/5478042/rite-aid-closing-charlotte-distribution.html

• 2 months later...

Could be the old plans, but came across this:  (My favorite is the idea of a mile long "central park")

http://mountvernonam.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/The-North-End-Board-Book.pdf

The area plans seem to want to call it, New Camp Station, which on Odell's website (http://www.odell.com/portfolio/category/multi-family/) has some interesting designs.   

379736f8a854caef1640203625c2e894.jpg

c248d340e447217878f4acfce6e6e6a5.jpg

c6766f99ababdcdc1e8b2eb2ef211f82.jpg

Some new renderings of New Camp Corporate Center on Odell's Website.

b2a04f759cfafd404827f1cb1baf9dff.jpg

7d7cf781cc438adbf29371a8b5242f86.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/charlottefuture/CIP/aic/Documents/AICProjectMapWEB.pdf

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/charlottefuture/CIP/aic/Documents/AICProjectList.pdf

I do not know if it has been posted elsewhere, but the two links provide an outline for infrastructure improvements in the applied innovation corridor. 

Overall, I am a big fan of the plan outlined in the posted links.  Specifically, I like the fact that they want to connect large portions of a very disconnected street grid in the area and I  like that they have planned for a very robust trail network.  Also, I like that they plan to keep Brookshire in place.  Finally I like the fact that they included so many "stakeholder inputs".  In a city that often seems dismissive of good ideas proposed by citizens, it was refreshing to see the large amount of citizen input that made it into the plan.

I still think there is room for improvement in the plan.  Areas where I think there is room for improvement:

1.  They could have gone further in reconnecting the street grid, especially in the areas around Druid Hills and between Statesville Avenue and Graham Street.

2.   I think they should plan for an extended multi-use path north of 28th.  The path, I believe, should provide a connection between the Irwin Creek Greenway/Charlotte-Mooresville trail and the LSC Greenway/Cross-Charlotte trail rather than stopping at Tryon St and Statesville Ave.

3.  Rather than destroying or tunneling Brookshire I really think they should consider a mini cap and park over the freeway between Davidson and Caldwell.  Also, it would not hurt if they moved the bus facility elsewhere and sold that large block of land for redevelopment.

One idea that I think is definitely worth pursuing is moving the rail yard.  I think the rail yard is the single biggest impediment to North End's ability to realize its potential.  As such, I would absolutely love to see a PPP between the city and NS to move the classification yard [and shops] out to the airport in order to open up the current rail yard land for redevelopment.  There should be enough land left between runways even after the new runway is built to make such a move at least a physical possibility. 

Although it may be cost prohibitive to turn it into a park since no tax dollars will be recouped, I could see them using the 150 acres or so to create a very dense mixed use neighborhood to serve as an anchor point for all the surrounding neighborhoods.  This would allow the city to recoup at least some lost tax dollars as well as potentially help offset the cost of moving the yard. 

Edited by cltbwimob

^^^It's doubtful that the City or NS would be in favor of moving all the rail operations to the airport.The airport plans to develop the land it owns around the intermodal yard into a logistics hub & the goal is to move goods as fast & efficient as possible

^^^It's doubtful that the City or NS would be in favor of moving all the rail operations to the airport.The airport plans to develop the land it owns around the intermodal yard into a logistics hub & the goal is to move goods as fast & efficient as possible

The plan is not to develop the areas between the runways into a logistics hub though...that's where I am saying they should move it. Between the intermodal yard and the to be constructed 4th parallel runway. Currently there are no plans for that piece of dirt other than perhaps planting grass.

The plan is not to develop the areas between the runways into a logistics hub though...that's where I am saying they should move it. Between the intermodal yard and the to be constructed 4th parallel runway. Currently there are no plans for that piece of dirt other than perhaps planting grass.

True but the additional volume on NS mainline in & out airport could have a negative impact on the intermodal yard . This is a growing segment & Charlotte is expected to play a major role as a hub in the southeast. The ability to quickly transfer from rail to truck along with easy highway access is the major selling point for this facility

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Those are some great buildings!  Everything that I've heard about the potential redevelopment of the site and Hercules Business Park, incorporates the old buildings with some new ones.  Hopefully the plans start to move forward soon.  It would be an amazing project to watch unfold.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what the recent history is of this area of gridded streets between Lockwood, Tryon Hills, and Graham Heights?

Here's a street-view of the area today...

And here's a street view of the same block at some point in the past.

I went through it yesterday for the first time and was in awe at such a large, lush, green space in the middle of a completely gridded-out street network, in between two neighborhoods. So what's the story?