North End Projects - Camp NorthEnd, Lockwood, Greenville, Double Oaks

dubone

Wow, I was actually looking at that the other day, and was about to ask the same thing.

I did some research and came across this:

http://visionventures.net/projects/northend/

Vision Ventures is the owner of these parcels, and it looks like the previous complex was demolished relatively recently. What's interesting is that their website talks in the present tense that there is a "Urban 260 Unit Apartment Complex" there, and that they "renovated and re-stabilized this complex". Looks like they own other parcels in NorthEnd too.

Does anyone just feel depressed, oppressed, and dead in the soul when driving down Graham St next to the blue Rite Aid warehouse? I mean, come on, it is the most horrid, oppressive, brutalist thing I have ever seen. It's no wonder it was used to make WWII artillery. There has got to be a latent energetic pall left over that land ever since the war.

It is possibly the best thing in the city's modern history that that site is moving so that hell-hole of a warehouse can be moved.

Seriously, it feels like the barren wasteland of an evil warlord's compound in an American style Mad Max universe. I am equal parts fascinated, and anxious, to drive down that stretch of road.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Also, does anyone know anything about this building/business (attached)? North End Artistic Suites. I came upon it on a ride the other night.

It's in this old building... but they painted the whole thing black. Kind of cool to see artist spaces in an area that is on the cusp of change, but still clearly a rough area to walk around in at night. I wonder how Graham St will feel after the streetscape CIP project is completed.

North End Artistic Suites.jpg

Wow, I was actually looking at that the other day, and was about to ask the same thing.

I did some research and came across this:

http://visionventures.net/projects/northend/

Vision Ventures is the owner of these parcels, and it looks like the previous complex was demolished relatively recently. What's interesting is that their website talks in the present tense that there is a "Urban 260 Unit Apartment Complex" there, and that they "renovated and re-stabilized this complex". Looks like they own other parcels in NorthEnd too.

The City is partnering with Vision Ventures via the Applied Innovation Corridor, which was partially funded through the 2014 Bonds. The North Tryon Business Corridor project (converting N Tryon St/Church St into a one-way couplet to help open up that land for redevelopment and to provide better facilities for pedestrians and cyclists. Supposedly Vision Ventures is also working with North End Partners to turn the area into some sort of tech hub.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/charlottefuture/CIP/aic/Pages/default.aspx

Potentially, yes. Just an educated guess here, but I doubt the AIC will be able to afford a true streetscape on Graham. The AIC gets $28M, which is not enough to do all of the projects on that list. Wait until the City releases a prioritized list, then we'll know which projects they'll actually be able to fund.

• 2 weeks later...

With all the news about Noda Brewings new location, people are starting to call this area of town Northend. Could it one day rival southend? Only time will tell, but I figured it was time to start a new discussion for this area of town. It really has a lot of potential especially with light rail coming through. 

north-end-charlotte-beer-glass.jpg

With Parkwood as a major thoroughfare in this area, and being just south of NoDa, I was thinking that SoDaSoPa would be an appropriate name.

welcome-home.jpg?w=620

The fake videos this episode produced, like "The Lofts, at SODOSOPA" absolutely KILLED me.

hahahaha, YES, I found it!  "Historic Kenny's House".  LOL.

Edited by ah59396
  • Like 2

To expand on what I already said when I posted this in the off topic thread: Just brilliance....its like Trey and Matt were reading UP and came up with the idea for the episode.

I actually saw your post after threw this up.  Glad so many others thought it was as sharp as I did.

• Like 1

^^Brilliant! 

Anywho, as to North End, it will not be the northern corollary to South End, that's undoubtedly NoDa. But i have no idea how long it will take for North End to catch on with developers. The Lockwood neighborhood is straggling along with a patchwork of new homeowners investing, but they say they have no idea when the whole area will take off.

Once the blue Rite Aid warehouse is redeveloped into something that should help the entire area.

As to N Tryon, I feel as though developers are afraid of the Urban Ministries nearuptown. What's the deal with that btw? Does it have plans to move? I'm conflicted as to what's best for the people they serve there.

^^Brilliant! 

Anywho, as to North End, it will not be the northern corollary to South End, that's undoubtedly NoDa. But i have no idea how long it will take for North End to catch on with developers. The Lockwood neighborhood is straggling along with a patchwork of new homeowners investing, but they say they have no idea when the whole area will take off.

Once the blue Rite Aid warehouse is redeveloped into something that should help the entire area.

As to N Tryon, I feel as though developers are afraid of the Urban Ministries nearuptown. What's the deal with that btw? Does it have plans to move? I'm conflicted as to what's best for the people they serve there.

I'm sure devedevelopers definitely are worried about it. Who would ever want to live somewhere or open an office somewhere where they'll be consistently hassled.

Lockwood's main problem is too many slumlords and awful business men within and around the community. We have managed to get 3 homes torn down with 2 more on the horizon this year. This is a win for the neighborhood as it keeps these homes from shoddy investors who only want to put in the bare minimum, and rent it back out. The community association is a joke as no homeowners attend, because the views expressed in those meetings do not benefit anyone. Its usually filled with renters venting their disgust with the "new residents". You would think people wanting less crime would be a win for all.... Not to some people here....There is one landlord amassing multiple properties and turning them into rentals. This has had a negative effect on the community as well... Currently he owns 13 properties, and believes renters make a community flourish, and the real reason property values have not risen is because of location and not rentals or abandoned properties. Currently we have no homes on the market and when they do, he snatches them up, or the seller is delusional and thinks they can get what someone paid for a recently renovated property. 

• 5 weeks later...

Briefly back to the Urban Ministry, I think the problem is the same with public housing.  Clearly the best way to avoid negative social impacts on the rest of society is to distribute services around so there is not a massive concentration in one place.  The same goes for public housing, where mixing incomes and moving public units throughout the city avoids some of the crime and allows for them to be a bit more assimilated into the city at large.

By having the massive concentration of homeless in one place, we end up with the crime and blight and trashing of a whole area of town making it hard to overcome the stigma.

The problem is, no community wants to accept this negative stigma to have new locations move in, so the places that have previously opened the door for it get over run by it from lazy policymakers that don't want to deal with the backlash in new area.  That is why uptown is over run by homeless services and public housing units.  

Generally I welcome people of all types, but the problem with homeless and many public housing dwellers is that the social and mental problems that lead them to the bottom of the economic ladder wreak havoc on the communities they inhabit.  Urination, litter, aggressive begging, drug-use, theft, etc.   Spreading these individuals throughout the city reduces the impact of people considering an area scary or blighted, like has been happening for a long time on North Tryon.     

It feels odd that this might be the most recent mention of Urban Ministry.. but be that as it may... Urban Ministry was in the news recently.  owner of Extravaganza Depot sees it as an eyesore that needs to move, Center City Partners sees it as a permanent fixture that we need to deal with in place and not shuffle off to the next least fortunate neighborhood: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article42095244.html

EDIT:  If there is a "NorthEnd" or "North Tryon redevelopment" thread, i was not able to find it.  This would likely be an appropriate cross post.

Edited by archiham04

So, "North End Partners" are trying to get the city of Charlotte to push the homeless shelters out to somewhere on Statesville Road. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I completely understand why these businesses would want to push out the shelters, but I also don't think pushing the homeless more and more out of the city is the solution. Reminds me of when Giuliani was running NYC:

Will the homeless get pushed off North Tryon Street?

You probably don't live in a neighborhood that is trashed by the "down on their luck" homeless. Until you have experienced them pissing in your front yard, breaking into your car to sleep, attempting to break into your home, stealing any piece of metal or copper that just happens to be attached to your home, trying to mess with little kids, and drinking and doing drugs in front of your home, then you don't know. I think it great that people like to set up at the enterance of Lockwood and run a buffet. You know what else I would think is great, is if they would come and clean up after they serve their Buffett. The good feeling you just got for helping some one with a meal, is now trash in my front yard and all through my neighborhood. I pick up drug bags, alcohol, and old food trays out of my yard daily.. It's Way past time for that place to be gone..go to a meeting here, listen to the long time residents talk about how awful it was when that place was put here. Look up the murders that have happened on tryon from the shelter. Drive down tryon anytime of the day after they kick them out of the shelter. They are either on the stoop on tryon (drinking) laid out on the ground at both stores at dalton(drinking)or cruising through the neighborhood looking for drugs or drinking. I don't care what the director says. This is not a outside problem affecting the shelter. This is the shelter affecting the outside and surrounding areas. For every one person that the shelter helps, there are probably 5 people that don't give a crap about anything other than getting what they want, anyway they can. Pump gas at the 7-11(murder mart) you will see. Wait until these new apartments open on park wood and the light rail stop opens... Then the villa heights/ optimist park people will be able to share in the joys.. Unfortunately the light rail will not benefit Lockwood until that place is gone... Walk down Tryon some time from Dalton and experience the shelter for what it is. They let them sleep there at night, then release them in the morning and most are on the streets raising hell. I've seen probably 100 fights in five years..This is the problem..It's time to move it, until you have experienced it daily, you have no idea

Edited by Jack Wrangler
  • Like 2

I used to think Salvation Army would hold Central Avenue back, but look at it now. I used to be panhandled walking to groceries at the old Teeter, or going to eat or drink at then new Intermezzo or Beaver.  But ultimately, my walks became surrounded by more people, and even baby strollers, as apartments popped up and more shops were added.

It really is a numbers game. Shelters can stay, if surrounded by more density and pedestrian activity.  Sky House is a start. Hal Marshal will soon be for sale.  N Tryon will change inside 277. Outside of 277 just needs enough development to tip the balance.

• Like 3

20151110_093824.thumb.jpg.22426cb2ab3967Also, does anyone know anything about this building/business (attached)? North End Artistic Suites. I came upon it on a ride the other night.

It's in this old building... but they painted the whole thing black. Kind of cool to see artist spaces in an area that is on the cusp of change, but still clearly a rough area to walk around in at night. I wonder how Graham St will feel after the streetscape CIP project is completed.

Went by this today and noticed some artwork being done on the side of the building. It looks like the statue that used to be outside CLT. This picture was from this morning. 

Edited by 11 HouseBZ
I don't know what just happened when I quoted SgtCampsalot.

• 3 weeks later...