North End Projects - Camp NorthEnd, Lockwood, Greenville, Double Oaks

dubone

On 12/5/2015, 1:47:32, Matthew.Brendan said:

Beautiful mature trees? Who needs those. Just picture how nice all the saplings will look in 80 years. 

If only they WOULD replant with saplings. I should post pictures of the replacement buildings a block or two south. Pretty dehumanizing .  And, by the way, Charlotte has many oaks that are several hundred years old. The ones being destroyed were probably about 60 years old.

• 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

All this talk of North End Station got me thinking about the actual neighborhood, to be called North End. I saw this a few weeks ago and forgot to share, but these are the preliminary plans for North End. 

http://www.landdesign.com/northend-charlottes-next-great-neigborhood/

Yeah man, the redevelopment of that Ford/Hercules Industrial Park is crucial. The old brick buildings are incredible (and mostly hidden right now), and the big blue Ford warehouse currently makes Graham St a post-apocalyptic hellscape.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

• 5 weeks later...

I believe a serious barrier is the old Sears building area. I was walking around the area last week to check out Sky Towers and the area was inundated with bums and panhandlers. The street running southeast (10th I believe) was lined up with people that looked homeless. I thought it was a bus stop area at first, but it wasn't. I would hate to live in the Sky Towers with that outside, especially at night. . That area needs to seriously be reconfigured and designed. Maybe whenever Levine wakes up and starts building, things will improve. Looks like the really bad part of uptown has shifted from West Trade to North Tryon. I hope that making walkability to the Amtrak station possible is in the near future. This is all far before you get to the ramp.

11 hours ago, lefty23 said:

It would be a start. Hercules needs to get redeveloped too. It has a ton of potential with Brightwalk and all that has happened over there lately.

I would hope they could adapt the warehouses to the master plan they come up with. They've already have a basic street grid and  spacing between is about what an urban street would be. They also have plenty of space to build up and new in the trailer storage lot that fronts Statesville (sorry no photo). The train loading docks could be rehabbed for the eventual red line stop (I don't know the if it could, just wishful thinking. Also no photo of the docks either, I couldn't get around to them this time. 

(I'm having trouble uploading photos. It's telling me I'm exceeding upload amount when they aren't over it. I guess I'll try later. They're of the rite aid portion of Hercules.)

Edited by 11 HouseBZ
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've got more of the O line into the docks between the 2 warehouses on the corner of Woodward and Statesville. Im exceeding the limit again (I'm not good at interneting).

Side note: Mattie's is being stored on Woodward across from the warehouse. I hope they have a permanent spot soon. 

• Like 1

That picture from the Observer is the perfect representation of that area right now.  Plenty of homeless guys, just drinking beer on the sidewalk.  Partially hidden by un-checked vegetation growing out into the sidewalk.  That stretch can be pretty brutal.  I hope this helps clean it up a bit.

18 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

^^So I've examined these plans a lot. I can't tell: will this hurt ped/bike safety, turning each leg into higher speeds? Or will this give new life to those several blocks of cleared out neighborhood?

Re: speeds, really depends on the street cross-section. I surely wouldn't bike on that stretch today, though. I think they have the opportunity here to do something similar to the Scott/Kenilworth one-way pair, but hopefully with more complete bike lanes that don't taper off right when you really need them.

20 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

What's the deal with these several square blocks? Looks like an entire neighborhood was razed at some point. What's the history of them?

Hopefully we get some solid development here. 

If you mess around on google street view, there are some angles you can see what used to be there. It was an entire neighborhood of squat little houses on stilts. Definitely of another era. I don't know the history of how/why it was cleared out (someone on here mentioned many not having plumbing, etc). Feels a bit like the Brooklyn situation, but that's pure speculation on my part.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Yeah I've actually driven all around that area, that's how I knew about it. Does the city own the land? It's a pretty prime bit of land (Dalton situation non-withstanding). Long term you can easily see the transformation coming for that stretch of N.Tryon

Hope we get something more than a replica of the gargantuan stick built apartments a'la South End. Ahh, who am I kidding? :P

2 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

^^So I've examined these plans a lot. I can't tell: will this hurt ped/bike safety, turning each leg into higher speeds? Or will this give new life to those several blocks of cleared out neighborhood?

can't be any worse

3 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Re: speeds, really depends on the street cross-section. I surely wouldn't bike on that stretch today, though. I think they have the opportunity here to do something similar to the Scott/Kenilworth one-way pair, but hopefully with more complete bike lanes that don't taper off right when you really need them.

I think it creates an undevelopeable island. Last thing this area needs, a way to get in and out of it faster. Needs a road diet, not faster drivers.

12 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think it creates an undevelopeable island. Last thing this area needs, a way to get in and out of it faster. Needs a road diet, not faster drivers.

It all comes down to the character of the upgrades. The zone between Kenilworth and Scott has certainly been commercially successful, though not necessarily the most successful in terms of urban streets.