North End Projects - Camp NorthEnd, Lockwood, Greenville, Double Oaks

dubone

36 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think it creates an undevelopeable island. Last thing this area needs, a way to get in and out of it faster. Needs a road diet, not faster drivers.

I agree, but I think it's going to be only marginally worse than it already is.  IMO, until they address the rail yard (i.e. Move the rail yard which is not likely to happen) any "improvements" will be equivalent to putting a bandaid on a sucking chest wound.

• 4 weeks later...

Hearing ATCO, a real estate developer out of NYC has the Rite-Aid distribution site on Statesville Ave under contract, with plans to renovate the historic portion into creative office spaces, and also possibly concert venue I think.  So think similar to NC Music Factory, but with the mix skewed more office and less entertainment.

• Like 3

I believe that new construction multi-family is likely as a phase 2, but that plans for the relatively large amount of land haven't been finalized.  They haven't closed on the property yet, so it's still preliminary, but rehab is definitely the priority for phase 1.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Has anyone seen an update on Brightwalk in a while? I know there's active construction on apartments at Atando & Statesville, but I haven't been down States in a while. 

I haven't seen any news regarding the commercial component for the development, but the neighborhood is probably 80% built at this point.

Kicking myself for not buying a place in that neighborhood back in 2012.

17 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Has anyone seen an update on Brightwalk in a while? I know there's active construction on apartments at Atando & Statesville, but I haven't been down States in a while. 

Only that it's admittedly very pretty. Even the remaining young hipster in me thinks it's a really attractive development.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Firm assembles 75 acre tract in NorthEnd off N Statesville. This will be a major area of growth in the years to come 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/12/28/firm-assembles-75-acre-site-for-redevelopment-in.html?ana=RSS%26s%3Darticle_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

That is huge.  

Across from this (I believe) is the Charlotte Hebrew Cemetery, an historic location. I have visited it as I am a cemetery aficionado. Hard to explain to those who do not understand.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hebrew+Cemetery/@35.248118,-80.836545,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x76b3d82b09068c12!8m2!3d35.248118!4d-80.836545

• Like 1

http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/surveys&rfordplantII.htm

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article124816199.html

ATCO has purchased the 75 acre sprawling industrial property on Statesville Avenue. The property is a true gateway into urban charlotte and represents a huge chunk of land that could be very important in the future. The only building of note are the Albert Kahn Designed Building 1 and 7, and I think thats the only buildings that will be saved, the rest will be torn down for sure. 

What would you like to see done with the buildings? They have a very interesting past and 75 acres is a TON of space.

Its also worth noting that the Red Line Commuter line cuts through the site, and there would be a planned station there.

I'd really like them to keep most of the buildings. The two on the corner of Woodward and Statesville have a really cool train loading area between them with old wooden sliding doors. Huge I beams run between them over the train tracks (was told by an old maintenance guy that they were used to load the missiles). I'm not sure of how to reuse the space (maybe a outdoor market/ farmers market? It's already covered). The space has a great bygone industrial feeling to it that is rare in Charlotte. I'll try to get a pick the next tying I'm in that part of the complex. 

2 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

I'd really like them to keep most of the buildings. The two on the corner of Woodward and Statesville have a really cool train loading area between them with old wooden sliding doors. Huge I beams run between them over the train tracks (was told by an old maintenance guy that they were used to load the missiles). I'm not sure of how to reuse the space (maybe a outdoor market/ farmers market? It's already covered). The space has a great bygone industrial feeling to it that is rare in Charlotte. I'll try to get a pick the next tying I'm in that part of the complex. 

My thing is, there is over 1.3M sq feet of industrial there all on a single floor. Some of the buildings are almost 1/4 mile long. I can't think of many uses that are conducive to this type of layout. I think saving building one and redeveloping the land around, and reconnecting the grid to Graham is the best thing you could do on the site.

1 hour ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

The plant was used to build missiles during WW2 (see the observer link in RDF's first post). Long time Charlotteans call it the missile plant. 

My understanding is that they plan to keep and reuse most of the buildings, at least for the time being.

This site has a lot of potential, and seeing some life injected into it will be majorly transformative for the North End area.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Spartan said:

The plant was used to build missiles during WW2 (see the observer link in RDF's first post). Long time Charlotteans call it the missile plant. 

My understanding is that they plan to keep and reuse most of the buildings, at least for the time being.

This site has a lot of potential, and seeing some life injected into it will be majorly transformative for the North End area.

The Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA is a great example of reuse of an old munitions factory.  It's waterfront, but something similar in Charlotte as the centerpiece of redeveopment and a reconnected grid would be awesome.  Including some open space around a centerpiece building with a substantial retail component would be an interesting plan.