Town Point Park Facelift...

Weaver24

eh...i kind of like the BoA tower. it provides texture against all the glass downtown. people hate on 70's design nowadays because that's what's popular in architecture critic nowadays, but like all things stylistically, the 70's will be lauded come some time.i honestly think that tearing buildings down should be the last thing on anyone's mind anyway, expand first clean out later.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Progress at TPP. Not much sign of progress on amphitheater yet:

There is no amphiteather. There is a portable stage with a fabric canopy. The canopy is the same tent that used to be next to the water in the old park. There will also be two portable trailers for dressing rooms and other "back of the house" concert stuff. None of it is permanent. They will bring it in for a concert and haul it back to storage after the concert is over. TPP is too small to dedicate space for only one use. Everything has to be flexible to make the most of what little area they have to work with. So, when there is no concert, the only indications of an amphitheater will be some foundations for the tent poles and guy anchors, and drain pipes where the portable trailers hook up. The "amphitheater" area will then be available for the sunbathers and dogwalkers.

There is no amphiteather. There is a portable stage with a fabric canopy. The canopy is the same tent that used to be next to the water in the old park. There will also be two portable trailers for dressing rooms and other "back of the house" concert stuff. None of it is permanent. They will bring it in for a concert and haul it back to storage after the concert is over. TPP is too small to dedicate space for only one use. Everything has to be flexible to make the most of what little area they have to work with. So, when there is no concert, the only indications of an amphitheater will be some foundations for the tent poles and guy anchors, and drain pipes where the portable trailers hook up. The "amphitheater" area will then be available for the sunbathers and dogwalkers.

Has something changed in the design? If not, why does the Festevents site call it "The Town Point Amphitheater"? While the tent and stage themselves may be portable, it looks to me like the seating area (raised, tiered, bowl shaped, made of brick and/or concrete?) is permanent. Hope we're not talking bleachers. See the attached link. Zoom in for best view.

Amphitheater

• 1 month later...

I thought that the city would have the same lightposts in the new Town Point Park as on the sidewalks of downtown, but I was wrong. They are installing black nautical looking light posts that do nothing to compliment those in the rest of downtown. BLAH! :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

What fountain, didn't see it?

Not much for a 11 million and no building...

I would had done the same for 3.5 million (including tax) <_<

The fountain under construction is over near Waterside by the Hooters which is being called Waterside Landing.

It looks nice, although a bit sterile. I'll withhold judgement until I see it in action during an event. I really never understood the need for this project and thought the money would have been better spent extending the "riverwalk" concept under the bridge and over to the Harbor Park area. That could still happen when the area near the ballpark develops.

It looks nice, although a bit sterile. I'll withhold judgement until I see it in action during an event. I really never understood the need for this project and thought the money would have been better spent extending the "riverwalk" concept under the bridge and over to the Harbor Park area. That could still happen when the area near the ballpark develops.

I think the need for the project was that a number of trees in the park were diseased and dieing and much of the infrastucture was in bad need of repair. Also I believe that they wanted to reduce the noise from the performance stage by redesigning the stage so that the noise from concerts goes more in the direction of water rather than towards Downtown residences. I think the lighting gives the park a more modern up to date look and the addition of the fountain will be a natural draw for visitors and residents alike.

I kind of agree with your comments. I understand your point about the park looking sterile too. Yet, I think the openess has some advantages. Before, when you drove by, the only thing visible that told you something was going on were the vendor tents lined up along Waterside Drive. Now, you'll be able to see people, a stage, the band, and the water.

I just hope the "amphitheater" and "fountain" turn out ok. These are they key updates to me.

• 2 weeks later...
I miss the trees. Between the park re-do and the light rail tracks near NOAA, all the trees are being removed. Not a fan.
Not a fan either, I think that's one thing missing from downtown, a larger amount of foliage... that's what makes Charlotte one of my favorite cities, the amount of trees downtown is amazing, it adds so much to the streetscape. Unfortunately trees only grow so fast though, and I suppose Norfolk is doing their best, it just won't be seen for some years.

I have found trees to be the most important thing a city should have lining its streets downtown. I always enjoy being in a downtown that has alot of tree cover than the ones that are just urban landscapes.

Yeh, but personally I think Norfolk may have too many trees. Views of historic churches and buildings are often blocked. You often can't see resturants and even can easily miss the NORVA if you're going in a particular direction. Strategically placed trees are great. Having one on top of another, with no rhyme or reason to their placing, spaced 2 feet apart . . . it's overkill. And no one ever prunes them around here. They can actually become ugly and overgrown.

Not a fan either, I think that's one thing missing from downtown, a larger amount of foliage... that's what makes Charlotte one of my favorite cities, the amount of trees downtown is amazing, it adds so much to the streetscape. Unfortunately trees only grow so fast though, and I suppose Norfolk is doing their best, it just won't be seen for some years.

I have a hard time believing other cities have as many. There's no shape to the city because trees are on top of one another. I truly believe that well-placed and cared-for trees are a huge benefit. I don't mind trees that are naturally framing the city around them. But having trees 2 feet apart on every road, every sidewalk, around every everything detracts from the beauty rather than enhances. Why is there a tree blocking the view of 1st Baptist on St. Paul's--a beautiful European-style church? The tree stand by itself and thus serves no purpose where it is--between the parking lot and the street.

• 2 weeks later...

The area of the park closest to waterside is being named Townebank Fountain Park. They gave a large donation. The fountain is a series of jets shooting up from the ground which can be programed to music, motion, etc. The park will also have LED lights to illuminate the trees and fountain. The lights have thousands of color combination which should add some "pazzaz" during the holiday season.

The area of the park closest to waterside is being named Townebank Fountain Park. They gave a large donation. The fountain is a series of jets shooting up from the ground which can be programed to music, motion, etc. The park will also have LED lights to illuminate the trees and fountain. The lights have thousands of color combination which should add some "pazzaz" during the holiday season.

Alright, not a GRAND fountain, but it has to be better than what they have over at the sheraton.

Neato. Norfolk discovers architectural lighting. Say it ain't so.

Wonder what brand LED washes they are going for.

Archived